Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Two Propulsions of Electricity and Compressed-air for a Hybrid Car

Recently, some items drew my attention which might be useful for the discussion of sealing; especially for the solenoids containing moving magnets.

As a simple sample, one can consider Land Rover Defender and its capabilities to cross the rivers and other wet courses.

The more advanced solutions can be found in amphibious vehicles and their mechanisms to insulate the sensitive compartments against water.

So why not inspiring from them to become away from air molecules in the tubes around the moving magnets?

List of inspiring items:

Humdinga - the 4WD amphibious vehicle
    Gibbs Aquada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gibbs high-speed amphibious motorcycles – ride straight into the lake and out again

AAV:

http://www.albany.marines.mil/News/N...ous-roots.aspx
    Assault Amphibious Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weatherproof performance of the Xventure XV-2 trailer from Schutt Industries:

XVENTURE Off Road Trailer
    Rugged Xventure trailer sleeps you in the attic, hauls gear below

EarthRoamer will use a new vacuum infusion construction process, different from the way it produces its current XV-LT bodies:

EarthRoamer XV-LT
    EarthRoamer reveals its largest off-road expedition vehicle yet
    Even small gadgets:

VSSL Flask hides your favorite tipple inside a flashlight
    VSSL Gear - Supplies Survival Kit - Rugged and Made in Canada | Ultimate Survival Tips

A recent conversation between me, and a brother who studies in a western university; He asked me to introduce my plan:

<** mansouryar **@gmail.com> Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:53 AM
    To: *

On developing a powertrain in a hybrid car with electricity and compressed-air propulsions

Two Propulsions of Electricity and Compressed-air for a Hybrid Car - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

*@yahoo.com> Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    To: <** mansouryar **@gmail.com>

Dear Mohammad,

Please send me 1 or 2 page summary of your plan, better with a picture (or similar video). Niether me nor any professor has time to read that forum.

Thanks

<** mansouryar **@gmail.com> Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 3:17 AM
    To: *>

I suffice to give abstract & introduction bro:

On developing a powertrain in a hybrid car with electricity and compressed-air propulsions

Mohammad Mansouryar

Abstract: A hybrid car with two propulsions of compressed-air and
    electricity is outlined. To fill up the compressed-air tanks, two
    methods of electrical and manual air are proposed. The electric
    propulsion is based on two collections of storing batteries and
    capacitors. The desired batteries are lithium-ion [1] and the desired
    capacitors are supercapacitors [2], in which they could store a
    significant amount of electric energy. The emphasis in this paper is
    on the methods of electrically charging the car. A big problem of the
    present electric vehicles (EVs) is the rather long time to charge them
    compared to fueling the conventional cars. Also EVs have short range
    of motion, due to losing the electric energy storage. Therefore if one
    would provide the electricity for the EVs for most of the time – not
    if always – one could drive long distances by them and to have less
    dependence on the grid for charging them. This would lessen the
    pressure on electricity, their self-dependence to produce their needed
    kinetic energy during moving that originates from the
    environment-polluting power plants. Also it could reduce the
    dependency on fossil fuels. However, to guarantee the EV to move in
    the worst conditions, supplying the electricity from the modified grid
    remains as an option. Four methods of storing the electricity in this
    EV are: 1) Charging by the modified grid, 2) Charging by the solar
    cells, interior and exterior of the car, 3) Charging by the bio-force,
    and 4) Charging by the physical effects. The type of batteries
    [(albeit a combination of the oncoming batteries, in the terms of need
    and case, ought to be verified): 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12] and
    supercapacitors [13, 14] is not the main subject of this paper. Some
    present models in the car manufacturing industry are assumed proper;
    more effective and more greenly-made, better.

Introduction:

{{ I cited all this part as you can see in the full paper }}

<*> Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:53 AM
    To: <** mansouryar **@gmail.com>

Dear Brother,

Your topic is interesting, also very close to the topics we study here. You should apply for this major if you are also interested in chemistry!

The problems are:

1. I couldn’t find the novelty in your abstract. it’s just too general! maybe you need to focus on only 1 approach.

2. There are a lot of reference numbers without their referees. it’s better to write it like an article.

3. make your plan in a similar outline to this, 3-4 pages is enough, in pdf:

http://www26.homepage.villanova.edu/...l_proposal.pdf

4. add some pics, block diagrams, tables,… make it interesting and as simple as possible!

5. Each of the charging ways you mentioned have lots of stuff to study about. focus on only 1 way, my suggestion.

let me know when you amended it.

Cheers

In the past several months, I’ve been thinking about the idea of “weaving chassis” to produce electricity.

Therefore, I bring up five news which are relevant to this idea:

1. This breakthrough is pretty interesting:

http://www.hrl.com/news/2016/0101/
    Ceramics Printing Heats Up - Rapid Ready Technology
    Researchers Create 3D-printed Super Strong Ceramics Resin
    Using 3-D printing, polymers to create ceramic structures | Plastics News
    U.S. researchers hit ceramic 3D printing breakthrough - Innovation Toronto
    Groundbreaking Ceramic Resin Developed by HRL Laboratories Has Potential to 3D Print Hypersonic Jets | 3DPrint.com

Remember that piezoelectricity can be found in certain ceramics. So what is we waiting for? Relate this one to that one and then, Boom! We’d have power!

Indeed, entering the fiber into this field, reminded me the idea of weaving the chassis by cannabis (cited in post #60).

2. Actually, this idea is under development for more delicate applications too; another relevant achievement:

New Wearable Keyboards Could Be Sewn into Clothing
    Wearable Electronics and Smart Textiles: A Critical Review

The rest of this post cannot be sent! I don't know why

It seems I've been banned to send more than two links in a post! I accept these look like spam, but it is my style of presenting the useful data in some cases ...

Anyway, this is the remaining of the above subject of "weaving electric chassis":
    Last edited by mansouryar; 04-16-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Additional explanations

3. This review is old, but gold:

Carbon fiber race car technology hits the streets

Porsche equips its new Carrera GT with the first-ever all-carbon chassis on a production automobile.

4. FYI, working with fibers has become easier in this industry, like “First airbag in the world to shoot through a carbon fiber housing” in Bugatti Chiron:

http://w ww.autoblog.c om/2016/02/29/bugatti-chiron-genva-official/
    https://w ww.netcarshow.c om/bugatti/2017-chiron/

5. More and more actions can be done to them in different aspects:

Gordon Murray reveals radical new carbonfibre tech | Autocar
    http://w ww.autocar.c o.uk/car-news/motor-shows-tokyo-motor-show/gordon-murray-reveals-radical-new-carbonfibre-tech

Gordon Murray Design announce 'iSTREAM® CARBON' a revolution in automotive manufacturing
    http://w ww.gordonmurraydesign.c om/news-articles/gordon-murray-design-announce-istream%C2%AE-carbon-a-revolution-in-automotive-manufacturing.html

So why not attempting to pull more electricity out of them for EVs?

I wish to make a chassis in order to give at least 1 kw & at most, say 20 kw! It would be great if the process does constantly, but there should be solutions for electric amplitudes …

As I’ve always considered, the compressed-air propulsion is too important for my design and that should be kept, as much as possible.

To clarify, according to this report (1, 2), “The motor is powered by a 11.7 kWh battery pack with a theoretical life span of 1,200 charging cycles."

This number (1200) is desperately small in my opinion; especially regarding the unconventional ways of harvesting energy such as the mentioned ones in the previous posts, causing random currents of electrons in every move …

So, the logical alternative is compressing the air and sending it to the tanks, which does not have the limit of charging the battery packs; i.e., many more than 1200 times!

An inspiration for a cool design of such tanks, can be observed in muscle cars, more muscular, the better!

For instance, look at these door airbumps in “Citroen Cactus M”:

Innovation for the Citroen C4 Cactus
    Proving the Utility of Citroën C4 Cactus Airbumps
    Citroën C4 Cactus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Citroën Cactus M | Concept Car - Citroën United Kingdom
    Citroen's Cactus M concept is a modern-day Mehari | Top Gear
    News: Driving tests the Airbump protection of the new Citroën C4 Cactus
    Richard Hammond: Citroen C4s airbumps mean citroen is ready for any hard knocks - Richard Hammond - Daily Record
    What Is Hybrid Air? What Are Airbumps? Check Out The Citroen Cactus, The Strangest Concept Car At The Frankfurt Auto Show [PHOTOS]
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk_w4ARVnaE"]C4 Cactus Experts: Airbump® technology, a world exclusive - YouTube[/ame]

If these airbumps would be made more radical, they could embed tiny compressed-air tanks into themselves, following the general scheme of using numerous/small compressed-air tanks, instead of few/big ones.

Interestingly, this looks like another solution that can be watched in Boeing-Vertol Model 234 Chinook large external fuel tanks (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6):

This trick can also be applied for conventional EVs to gain a longer range.
    For more protection, I suggest inspiring from BMW eDrive Hydrogen car (1, 2, 3, 4, 5); and VSSL too, cited in post #106!

Quote Originally Posted by mansouryar View Post
    To clarify, according to this report (1, 2), “The motor is powered by a 11.7 kWh battery pack with a theoretical life span of 1,200 charging cycles."

This number (1200) is desperately small in my opinion;
    That would be too radical to ignore the importance of batteries in a hybrid car; while all the experts are aware of limitations of batteries for EVs.

So let’s be hopeful to the new advancements in this field. For example, Nanoflowcell company has announced its new car, Quantino has got driving range of 1000 km!

QUANTiNO - nanoFlowcell AG
    Quantino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Geneva 2016: Nanoflowcell Quantino - GTspirit
    Nanoflowcell Quantino car uses ionic liquid to drive - Tech Insider

It is enjoying to read benefits of this technology (source):
    Chief technical officer and inventor of the NanoFlowcell Nunzio La Vecchia says: “The ionic fluid is non-flammable and non-toxic, and there are no emissions or high pressures involved. As a result, he adds, on-board storage is straightforward and establishing a filling station network simple and relatively cheap.
    Maybe at the final model in reality, a small part of batteries would be solid and main focus would be on liquid batteries …

Also, this breakthrough is quite promising:

All powered up
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...gylett.6b00029
    Scientists can now make lithium-ion batteries last a lifetime | Computerworld
    Researchers have accidentally made batteries that could last 400 times longer - ScienceAlert

along with this one:

The 30-year battery: New chemistry holds promise - CNET

Okay, the point is: Can we inspire from this pattern to have a better situation for electric vehicles, especially in case of power-generating and confidence (in stability & safety)? I think so. Interestingly, the idea of dual wheels has been realized in some vehicles:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, a cool vehicle for my desired trips, not dually wheeled, but nice, …

On the other hand, any single wheel of rear axle has to handle the (weight of) car for a suitable duration & distance. This property is what one expects in the worst situation that one of the dual wheels is out of order for some reason.
    The outside wheel can be designed in a way that functions as a normal wheel, while the inside wheel has the additional duty of power generating as it was described before (post #54).
    Fortunately, I read a new report, similar to my suggestion on making power out of the wheels, that has been realized by Goodyear BH03, somehow:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Io5ex7BO4"]Goodyear BH03 - YouTube[/ame]
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/06/g...harge-your-ev/
    https://www.wired.com/2015/03/goodye...nerating-tire/
    Goodyear BH03 And Triple Tube Concept Tires | Official Details | Digital Trends

Let me quote from this link:

Goodyear Concept Tires Offer a Glimpse of the Future

Excerpt:

BHO3

This tire generates electricity through the action of materials in the tire that capture and transform the energy created by heat when it flexes as it rolls during normal driving conditions. The materials used would optimize the tire's electricity generation capabilities as well as its rolling resistance.

As demand for electric cars grows, this technology has the potential to significantly contribute to the solution of future mobility challenges. This visionary tire technology could eliminate the vehicle-range anxiety motorists may have with electric cars.

Probably, this new hairdryer from Dyson that is “supersonic”, can be applicable for this hybrid car plan, when one deals with air molecules:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxh...p-w-DyHeckHo_A
    http://www.refinery29.com/2016/04/10...r-dryer-launch
    New Dyson Hair Dryer Review | British Vogue
    The Dyson Supersonic hair dryer – Technology
    Dyson hair dryer review: nifty, but still just a hair dryer
    Dyson launches a £299 hairdryer but will it change your life?Â
    Dyson launches £299 Supersonic hairdryer - Business Insider (cool on Sakti3)
    Is the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer worth the $699 price tag? | Daily Mail Online

At first glance, I liked the idea; the declared numbers are amazing! It could be useful to heat the car in cold times, i.e., heating for technical reasons (melting the snow on solar panels, …) and a luxury feature for comforting reasons (warm up the passengers in winter).

However, that would be clever to somehow relate it to something like a Fan Coil Unit (FCU) or a similar system for cooling purposes. (--> vital for any kind of car)

As you know, I want this car to be not-dependent to any special material as much as possible, because a special material is taxable, and monopoly-able.
    Therefore, I think only water deserves to be involved in this mechanism: Relating new technology of Dyson hairdryer to a FCU-like plan for cooling purposes.
    Besides, I thought this idea might be considerable to fill up the compressed-air tanks, reminding a [non-conventional] supercharger to boost this propulsion method.

A suggestion on compressed-air powertrain: 4.01 liters, four-cylinder engine!

Such a high volume is because the goal is power, than mileage.

I aim this goal for: driving uphill, extruding from a dent, starting moments of carrying a heavy load, and any situation which requires exerting maximum force of all 4 wheels, …

Even passing 100 meters maybe is not enough, but that’s good (for above cases); I guess.

So compressed-air and/or supercapacitors would pump the force; when the car reaches to a stationary still mode of cruising, the battery power enters the circuit; the familiar picture of an electric car as usual.
    Anyway, we need vital breakthroughs in this field, with direct impact on this car plan.

I did a simple Google search in English & Persian; just wanted to share a sudden point that crossed in my mind

Look at Rolling Guard-Rail Barriers! A combination of more safety and several ways of harvesting energy for electric propulsion is observable in this scene

[ame="https://twitter.com/ThingsWork/status/802164380108554240"]How Things Work on Twitter: [/ame]

Also in these links (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ...)

One can use hidden and/or exposed coils underground or aside the road, less expensive and easier to repair.

To gain more experience on efficiency & safety features, a specific lane of a highway can be appropriated for initial tests.
    One trick to make a kind of shield against the electromagnetic fields of inductive coils in smart roads, is inspiring from modified cars.

Two examples are:
    To have an immediate impact on the air pollution, also to make that operation as economical as possible, I suggest this shield solution, would be mounted between the passengers and coils, in the buses of Tehran Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system; in a few points of the way, away from stations and humans, in places where usually the vehicles pass rapidly ...

Besides, I suggest this wireless charging would be old-fashioned single-directional, because the involved electromagnetic field would have less effects on the health of other non-shielded vehicles which might accidentally enter the special corridor of BRT; compared to new omni-directional wireless charging technology.

I don't add more links, because I've done it before in the post #74.

If one considers this thread a pro-environment discussion, this post is not off-topic, however it is not directly related to the powertrain.

The day before yesterday, I saw a cool picture of a vehicle, titled as a compound of VW Beetle & tank!

Then I thought maybe this could inspire something useful for my plan; actually I mean getting rid of rubber-made tires which are fossil-based and non-green in result.

If similar to above image, a continuous track would be mounted to the vehicle, it would be possible to dismiss the tires and propel by wheels that drive the track plates.
    Otherwise, the treads would be uninstalled and tires would cover the wheels’ rims usually.

To get rid of rubbers, we can review a wide range of materials; for instance, it is obvious one meets considerable heat in this configuration; and what if we install elegant electronics inside each track plate? There must be a mechanism to shield them (e.g., batteries, circuits, wires) against the heat of friction with the ground. I suggest using a layer of Tantalum Hafnium Carbide having a high melting point. (More info: 1, 2)

There exists one interesting aspect for this material: It belongs to ceramics family, so one might think to the chance of finding or making piezoelectricity property through this material.

Then, another layer would be needed to absorb the strikes for safety reasons and/or making electricity out of them at the same time.

Indeed, if we can provide the second option for the wheels, maybe the magnitude for requested tires would be reduced, good for the environment; also making additional simple function (being used as track plates) for recycled metals, definitely steel from expired cars), and also good for the repair shops via meeting more complexity in the vehicles, and at last, good for the users who might enjoy advantages of this option.
    If a tough continuous track would be attached to the wheels, it could convert any class of cars, suitable for offroad trips, even better than SUVs!

Regarding the achieved breakthroughs in this branch (Link1, Link2), the engine could give us realistic numbers for offroad applications.

At least, it could be viewed like external fuel tanks as mentioned before in the example of Chinook helicopters.
    Anyhow, this is just a try on relaxing the absolute dependence on tires to be middle component between the wheels and the roads in the EVs & so on …

This suggestion loudly speaks about potential methods of harvesting energy for the hybrid or electric cars!

To enlist them, one can think of making power out of produced sound & heat, piezoelectric effect, and any kind of mechanical action that is imaginable for the involved parts, like compressing a spring, or pumping thin shock absorbers.

Also, the track plates might be designed in a way to host the batteries or supercapacitors (for extended mileage); and/or compressed-air reservoirs to save up some interior space and for safety/economy reasons in case of collision and weight considerations …

Surely, all the modifications on the regular continuous track must offset the added weight, positive for the powertrain purposes, not a bad deal …

Two cool news which do worth mentioning here:

... Chandrasekhar said TENGs were a natural choice for providing power in toys because of their versatility and the relatively low cost associated with building them.

Added Benefits

“TENG devices are one of the best solutions to meet low-power electronics requirements because they can scavenge energy from various sources—water wave, wind, biomechanical, vibration, rain drops, and so on,” he said. “The development of a TENG device is comparatively simple, cost effective, and bio-compactable in most cases. For less than $1, we can fabricate a device which can drive low-power electronic components, such as LEDs and LCD.”
    Source: Researchers Develop Battery-Free Smart Toys for Kids | Design News

My comment: Some expert should theorize and test how can one use this in electric vehicles? Maybe hundreds of them could give us kilowatt scales of electricity, if arrange them like a piece of art!

More to read:

Nanogenerator - Wikipedia
    Triboelectric effect - Wikipedia
    https://www.haptic.ro/self-powered-smart-toys/
    https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.4977216
    Nanotechnology could give us battery-free electronic toys
    Triboelectric nanogenerators as flexible power sources | npj Flexible Electronics
    Battery-free ‘smart’ toys move closer to commercial reality (video) - American Chemical Society

... Combined with an ultra-thin array of zinc anodes and manganese oxide cathodes, which are common battery components, the fluorescent microbatteries boast an exceptionally high energy density and could be cheap to produce on a commercial scale.

‘Our microbatteries deliver almost the highest energy density among micro-sized energy storage devices, and the highest energy density based on the whole microbattery volume,’ Zhi says.
    Source: Battery-in-screen paves way to ultra-thin smartphones | Research | Chemistry World

Comment: I guess this innovation might cause generalizing batteries into the monitors (whatever they mean), also coloring the body of future EVs. This would be interesting: more battery having additional function while saving & releasing energy: graphic effects!

More to read:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...er_of_a_Screen
    Light-permeable, photoluminescent microbatteries embedded in the color filter of a screen - Energy Environmental Science (RSC Publishing)
    Apple exploring combination of quantum dot and OLED technologies for future iPhone displays

Quantum dots: Introduction to their science and applications
    https://www.youtube.com/@00shitmovie

Volvo 360c shall be an interesting car; close to fit appearance of that clean car in my mind:

Source:

https://www.mobna.com/405950

360c | Volvo Cars
    https://www.youtube.com/@00shitmovie

Thread Information