Thread: 2009 The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering report and slideshow ...

2009 The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering report and slideshow ...

Within a few years, The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering has grown out to become one of the token events of the packed Monterey Motoring Week. This is thanks to a distinctly different approach; tickets are expensive and very limited but in return the visitors get a chance to admire a collection of the finest classic vehicles in relative tranquility as well as sample the latest sports cars and enjoy freshly prepared gourmet food. All things considered, it is hardly surprising that the event has sold out well in advance for the last couple of years.
    This year The Quail featured a tribute to racing driver Hans-Joachim Stuck, bringing out some of the finest cars he piloted during his long career. Stuck's tribute coincided with the 30th anniversary of the BMW Motorsports Division for whom he drove for many years. The fantastic creations of Bill Devin were also honoured, highlighted by the sole remaining Devin GT fixed-head road car. The fourth special feature marked 50 Years of the Daytona International Speedway, which is home to both the Daytona 500 and Daytona 24 Hours races. As a result the special Daytona class featured a wide variety of racing cars, including an Indy Roadster, NASCARs and sports prototypes. Well over a hundred cars lined up in total, including several Bugattis, a host of Ferraris (two 250 GTOs), a wide variety of Porsches and a McLaren F1. At the end of the day the entrants picked the well deserved class winners and ultimately the 'Best of Show' all of whom were awarded a Sterling Silver 'Q'.
    We were among the lucky few and spent our time very well, capturing all the highlights for everybody else. This hard work has resulted in an in-depth article, illustrated by an exclusive 130-shot gallery.

2009 The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering report and slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

It was my second year there, and I'm very happy to be on the roster, I consider it to me the most enjoyable event of the week, and the only one where you feel like an insider. There are too many velvet ropes and 'no entry' signs at Pebble, so much so I won't bother going back there. IMHO a perfect stay there starts at McCall's and finishes at Laguna on Saturday with a nice easy Sunday drive home, and the Quail event is the jewel in the crown.
    macfly
    www.bmwz8.us

Thread Information