Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Technical forums

Old 08-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Interesting. So despite the theoretical benefits, all show and no go as suspected.

Then, why do some manufacturers install those exhaust systems on four cylinder cars but then conceal them behind the bumpers? The engineers must have seen some kind of actual benefit for those won't they?

(Pictured current generation Honda Civic)

Also, I suppose that the actual benefits of a true dual exhaust vary whether there is one exhaust manifold (inline engines) or two exhaust manifolds (V or boxer engines).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg honda_civic_25.jpeg (301.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg honda_civic_sedan_touring_25.jpeg (452.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
I think manufacturers are tucking away exhaust pipes now because it's not chic anymore to be spouting emissions. See, electric cars don't have exhaust pipes!

...never mind that electric cars still spout emissions, just somewhere else and not in the immediate area.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Furniture

Random question about new gearboxes- what happens if your battery dies and you need to enter neutral to push the car off the road?

For instance, my cousin just got a 2017 Honda Pilot and it has a gearbox that has a push button gearbox. So, how would you enter neutral with a dead battery?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM

US
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Random question about new gearboxes- what happens if your battery dies and you need to enter neutral to push the car off the road?

For instance, my cousin just got a 2017 Honda Pilot and it has a gearbox that has a push button gearbox. So, how would you enter neutral with a dead battery?
Typically there's a mechanical, lockout lever hidden under an interior panel somewhere. Sometimes it can be difficult to find.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Typically there's a mechanical, lockout lever hidden under an interior panel somewhere. Sometimes it can be difficult to find.
That's depressing to hear, and honestly to me that sounds like a safety liability. There's a margin of safety to be had with mechanical linkages, and as cool and forward as fly by wire is, you can't beat the mechanical precision and instantaneous feel of a real shift knob. Even airplanes have redundancy, and that's because it would really suck if you lost control of your rudder. There is no quick redundancy to this, and changing ergonomics for the sake of changing it is not a good idea. For instance, Jeep with their stupid gear lever design.

After Yelchin Death, Fiat Chrysler Fast-Tracks Jeep Gearshift Fix - NBC News

I can imagine an actual old school automatic shifter would have been really useful in those runaway Toyotas. It would have been fairly simple and fast to pop them into neutral and you'd still have control over the car.

Last edited by NSXType-R; 02-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.