Thread: Exotic Cars The Defining Characteristics

Exotic Cars The Defining Characteristics

Posting a definition of "Exotic Cars" on the web is probably the quickest way to attract controversy among motorheads. Some will have the definition pinned down and water tight, some will have a more "loose" description in mind. It's the latter that'll be explored on this page.
    I feel that there is a list of criteria to take into consideration and cars that score more points are more likely to considered as exotic. I believe that some mass produced cars can be considered exotic cars as well as highly modified customs and hot rods.

Supercars such as Ferrraris and Porsches will always be considered exotic cars as these score a near perfect exotic car score.

Most sports cars will always make the rankings simply because of their power to weight ratio, character and desirability. There are many different classifications of sports cars of course, so following the guidelines will give you an idea if yours can be included as exotic.

Some Muscle cars also score highly on the chart and should be called exotic cars because of their brute power, the fact that they use a V engine and their general character and air of mystique.

When thinking of exotic cars, reliability, build quality and country of origin really don't come into the equation, anyone remember the E-Type?

Even underpowered classics such as the Porsche 356 can be pigeon holed as exotic cars - the term is very broad. Even so, cars that score less than 50% in the exotic car criteria rankings cannot be classed as exotica.

The most modern examples of exotic cars are the street racers featured in movies like the fast and the furious. These are mostly modified Japanese creations but with wild paint, high power, expensive modifications and racing body-kits these are prime examples for the term exotic car.

The popular dictionary definition of exotic:- 1: From another part of the world 2: Intriguingly unusual or different, excitingly strange 3: Of or involving striptease The Oxford dictionary:-

adjective 1 introduced from abroad. 2 strange, unusual. noun exotic plant etc. exotically adverb.

adjective 1alien, far-away, foreign, remote. 2bizarre, different, extraordinary, foreign-looking, novel, odd, outlandish, peculiar, rare, singular, strange, striking, unfamiliar, unusual, colloquial weird.

I believe that the criteria listed below will determine a cars "exoticity". Compare your car to the list.

1-A top speed that exceeds 140 MPH
    2-Paint color is predominantly black, white, yellow, red or silver
    3-Has over 210 Bhp in the power department
    4-Has a straight 6 or 8, boxer 4, 8 or 12, V8, V10 or V12 engine
    5-Worth more than it's original asking price (taking inflation into account)
    6-Has twin turbos
    7-The model in general has won internationally recognized races
    8-Wears tires more than 7" wide
    9-Acceleration to 60 Mph in less than 7.5 seconds
    10-Is by definition a supercar i.e. Mclaren F1
    11-Is by definition an expensive car when bought from new
    12-The particular model in general has been raced by an official race car team.
    13-Was made in a limited production run of 3000 or less.
    14-Is very rare in its own right regardless of numbers originally produced
    15-Has been professionally, substantially modified in the performance department compared to more ordinary models of the same make.
    16-Is or was originally a manufacturers prototype or concept car
    17-Is widely recognized as a dream car or a highly desirable classic
    18-Has been built using some or many light weight materials
    19-Is a Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari
    20-Is considered to be an automotive icon of its year
    21-Has an air of mystery, a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that your run of the mill weekly shopping carrier will never have.
    22-Is very expensive to run and maintain
    23-Was intended to have only two occupants or is a 2+2 coupe.

If your car scores 11 or more congratulations! It's probably an exotic car. Any car that scores 17 or more is definitely an exotic car!

Don't go blaming me if you don't agree with my definitions as there's no official dictionary definition of an exotic car. It's all subjective and circumstantial but should be seen as fun and will also give you enough material for a few nights discussion with friends in your local bar or in your favorite internet forum or chat room

Text by Exotic-Car-Posters.com

Link to:
    Exotic
    Fasten seat belt while seated

an Exotic car is a supercar that is not made in the country you live in.
    Last edited by Batmobile_Turbo; 01-13-2004 at 09:20 PM.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by lfb666
    Posting a definition of "Exotic Cars" on the web is probably the quickest way to attract controversy among motorheads. ....
    1-A top speed that exceeds 140 MPH
    2-Paint color is predominantly black, white, yellow, red or silver
    3-Has over 210 Bhp in the power department
    4-Has a straight 6 or 8, boxer 4, 8 or 12, V8, V10 or V12 engine
    5-Worth more than it's original asking price (taking inflation into account)
    6-Has twin turbos
    7-The model in general has won internationally recognized races
    8-Wears tires more than 7" wide
    9-Acceleration to 60 Mph in less than 7.5 seconds
    10-Is by definition a supercar i.e. Mclaren F1
    11-Is by definition an expensive car when bought from new
    12-The particular model in general has been raced by an official race car team.
    13-Was made in a limited production run of 3000 or less.
    14-Is very rare in its own right regardless of numbers originally produced
    15-Has been professionally, substantially modified in the performance department compared to more ordinary models of the same make.
    16-Is or was originally a manufacturers prototype or concept car
    17-Is widely recognized as a dream car or a highly desirable classic
    18-Has been built using some or many light weight materials
    19-Is a Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari
    20-Is considered to be an automotive icon of its year
    21-Has an air of mystery, a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that your run of the mill weekly shopping carrier will never have.
    22-Is very expensive to run and maintain
    23-Was intended to have only two occupants or is a 2+2 coupe.
    and so the debate begins......

power to weight is more important in how a car bahaves and deserving of the term 'exotic'.

you could get some weird cars defined as exotic under these rules...
    a modified Panda 4x4 for example :-)

ah well, this is what happens when anal-retentives try to define what is SUBJECTIVE criteria.

Where is 'soul', 'feeling', 'feedback' ? ALL missing and yet ALL important in any car that is a true exotic.

Sorry, I'll leave this now, to drive an 'exotic' .... btw you missed out TV star ( as is mine )

This the exact same reply I gave in the supercar thread, and I beleive I'm right.

Supercars are cars that, in one way or many, represent an exageration of the possibilities and characteristics of common cars. For example, my 4 banger 1.0 gets me 35-40mpg, which is normal.However, I'd call it a supercar if it got me 70mpg and had the same performance simply because that is, considering today's automotive standards, way above the normal. I'd also consider it a supercar if it's engine produced 200hp straight out of the factory and still got 35mpg, not because 200hp is a monstruosity, but because it certainly would be unheard of in today's scenario.

Supercars are all about exageration.

Exotics are cars that, IMO, must be very rare, valuable, desirable and hold at least some historical importance.

Too help you put things in perspective:

supercars - porsche 911 GT2, ferrari 360 modena...
    exotics - porsche gt1, ferrari f40...
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Here we go ... on the scoring suggested, this car would only get about 3 points.

And yet by ANY analysis this is surely exotic

As a French car owner, I should add ithe thing that defines an exotic is .......

Je ne sais quoi

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Here we go ... on the scoring suggested, this car would only get about 3 points.
    As a French car owner, I should add ithe thing that defines an exotic is .......

Je ne sais quoi
    that's the coolest minivan in the world, or maybe second to the espace F1.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Update of definition for next gen exotics

What about these criteria for deciding what is or is not an exotic car?

http://www.examiner.com/x-9044-Exotic-Car-Examiner~y2009m7d17-Exotic-Cars-101-What-does-the-term-Exotic-Car-mean-by-definition

I know we're all looking closely at Tesla and Fisker here in California. The Ferrari is debuting new hybrid tech here in LA at the 2009 auto show. It seems like the definitions listed here are kind of outdated/old.

There are too many cars now that meet the criteria defined by the OP than to keep the definition of "What makes an exotic car exotic" relevant. Especially if you are a car buyer in the current auto market trying to figure our what to drive on an everyday basis for commuting and what to buy to keep in the garage to let accrue value or drive occasionally for recreation.

Last edited by Green Ferrari; 07-17-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Thread Information