Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High performance FPV offerings come of age

High performance FPV offerings come of age

Woops i got the wrong one

Don't mention the phwoar

Ford's new performance cars are the fastest-accelerating Falcons ever - but the maker can't tell you about that, reports JOSHUA DOWLING.

Ford has unveiled its fastest ever Falcons but the company says it cannot promote the milestone because that would breach the new voluntary code of conduct for vehicle advertising.

The 2006 range of Ford Performance Vehicles are the fastest-accelerating Falcons since the famous GTs of the 1970s. They also have the biggest brakes to be fitted to a factory-built Falcon.

The maker has not extracted any more power from its engines with the new model, instead the performance gain has come from a new, highly sophisticated six-speed gearbox that was previously exclusive to Aston Martins and high-performance Jaguars.

In a sign of the times, the turbocharged six-cylinder FPV Typhoon is reportedly faster than the V8. Matched to a six-speed automatic transmission, Ford says it accelerates from 0 to 100kmh in 5.3 seconds.

advertisement

advertisement
    If this figure - recorded during internal testing - is correct, it makes the turbo FPV Falcon only a fraction slower than Australia's fastest sedan, the HSV Clubsport (powered by a 6.0-litre V8 from the Chevrolet Corvette) which can reach 100kmh in 5.1 seconds.

The 5.4-litre V8-powered GT Falcon, meanwhile, is reportedly capable of reaching 100kmh in 5.6 seconds when matched to the new six-speed auto transmission.

"We are not making any official performance claims," says FPV spokesman Andrew MacLean. "It's up to the media and third parties to independently test the vehicles and publish the figures if they wish.

"But we will not be promoting the [acceleration] figures because, apart from the variation possible due to weather and track conditions, the voluntary code of conduct for vehicle advertising does not allow us to advertise any element of speed."

The 2006 FPV Falcons were unveiled yesterday at the opening of the Sydney motor show. In addition to the performance boost, all models have had a major facelift and gain race-bred Brembo brakes (previously a $5950 option) as standard equipment. The new brakes, plus the cost of developing new engine management programs to meet cleaner tailpipe emissions (known in the industry as Euro 3) add up to a price rise of between $200 and $860.

FPV has moved to larger brakes for two reasons: they better match the increased performance of the cars and the company is trying to gain the upper-hand over its natural rival, Holden Special Vehicles.

All 2006 model FPVs will have four-piston Brembo brakes and the flagship models will have six-piston Brembo brakes. It is the first time six-piston brakes have been fitted to a factory-built Ford.

HSV has two-piston brake calipers on its base models and four-piston brake calipers on the premium models. It charges $3750 for its optional six-piston brakes.

"We are always looking at ways to improve the performance and handling of our cars and the brakes are as much a part of the whole driving package as everything else," says FPV managing director David Flint, who says that all new FPVs come with an advanced driving course for the owner.

"We recognise that these cars are fast and powerful and we want to do as much as possible to keep them safe. With the new six-speed gearbox we are providing our customers with world class performance: it's only fitting they have world-class brakes."

Both Ford and Holden use expert suppliers for their brakes: FPV uses Brembo and HSV uses AP Racing, both world-renowned racing brands.

HSV's boss Chris Payne, says he is happy with the brakes fitted as standard to his cars. "Our car is lighter than the Falcon so we don't think there is any issue with the brakes," Payne says.

"However, we are in the process of opening up the options package to make the performance brakes available on more models than before."

With revised front and rear bumpers, there is now greater differentiation between the FPV models and the XR6 and XR8 Falcons on which they are based. All V8-powered FPV sedans now have dual exhausts (one on each side of the rear bumper), for example.

"Customers have told us they want their cars to stand out from the crowd and we think we've responded to their demands," Flint says. "They've paid a premium for the premium model and they want to have some recognition for that."

Flint says comparing the new six-speed auto gearbox with the previous four-speed is like comparing "chalk and cheese".

"We've always had an electronically-controlled gearbox but this one really is state-of-the-art. It delivers an amazing double act: better performance and better economy."

2006 FPV Falcon highlights

New front and rear bumpers, with dual exhausts on V8 sedans.
    Six-speed automatic transmission now available across the FPV range.
    Four-piston Brembo front brake calipers standard on all models except GT-P and Super Pursuit which get six-piston Brembo front brake calipers.
    19-inch wheels now standard on GT and Pursuit and optional on the turbocharged Typhoon and Tornado.
    New 19-inch wheel design on GT-P and Super Pursuit.
    Wider selection of side stripes. Bonnet decals are now optional on all V8 models and a no-cost option on the GT-P and Super Pursuit.
    New "Power Bulge" hard tonneau cover available on all ute models.
    Traction control standard on all ute models.
    Reverse-parking sensors standard on GT-P and optional on GT and F6 Typhoon.
    Revised interior trim on all models.
    Three new colours.
    2006 FPV Falcon price list

F6 Tornado $52,780

F6 Typhoon $59,810

Pursuit ute $54,170

Super Pursuit $59,200

GT sedan $62,210

GTP sedan $70,410
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 10-29-2005 at 06:02 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

geez 0-100 in 5.3 thats half a second faster than the last model thats quite a gain since theres no extra phwoar lol
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

santa claus, bring me an F6....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Seen the First BF AD tonight differnt music yeah yeah

i will take the F6 in black thanks!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

i saw a BF yesterday on the way home from work

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    i saw a BF yesterday on the way home from work
    Did it take a wile to say shit thats the BF.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Did it take a wile to say shit thats the BF.
    wtf is that sposed to mean?

wtf is that sposed to mean?
    Was it hard to pick it!.

I read the latest WHEELS today. It has a bit of a review of the range, and if that review is anything to go by, the BF range, especially the XR6T, are very very good.
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Was it hard to pick it!.
    not really i just picked it from the two lower sides vent/intakes on the front bumper

not really i just picked it from the two lower sides vent/intakes on the front bumper
    The fog lights. So other then that most people might not know it's a new model like my mum who found it tuff to tell the difference between models of VY's And VZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    thats quite a gain since theres no extra phwoar lol
    Im gunna wait till somone puts a BF on the dyno before i agree with you. Sure, by making the cars burn cleaner they wouldve compromised power, but consider that they increased the BOSS290's intake chamber volume by 260% AND added a dual exhaust, theres something shifty going on there.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Im gunna wait till somone puts a BF on the dyno before i agree with you. Sure, by making the cars burn cleaner they wouldve compromised power, but consider that they increased the BOSS290's intake chamber volume by 260% AND added a dual exhaust, theres something shifty going on there.
    More like BOSS310

Easy BOSS310

Lucky me had the chance to ride in a BF Pursuit, with a 6 speed AUTO. I find it hard to see how it could be any faster, because the revs totally die out when it changes gears, as if theyre too far apart.
    coltyu. d;-)!

Thread Information