Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    When you stop (at a junction, the lights, whatever...) knock it into neutral and step off the clutch the engine stops (if certain conditions are met). When you press the clutch it starts again.
    It sounds quite annoying. And doesn't this compromise the reliability of an engine, since the diesels vibrate a bit when starting up?
    I hate the idea.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    So...how does the thing sound on start-up? Does it sound like a truck or more like a gasoline-burning engine?

I've heard it sounds more like the latter now on cars like the Bluetec E320.
    Despite having improved greatly you can still tell it's a diesel. Especially from the outdside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Aaah, that was my guess. is that standard on the 1-Series?
    Only in cars with manual gearboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    It sounds quite annoying. And doesn't this compromise the reliability of an engine, since the diesels vibrate a bit when starting up?
    I hate the idea.
    Once the novelty has faded away, yes it's a bit annoying especially because everytime it start again the gear level vibrates quite a lot. But I guess with time we'll get used to it. And concerning the reliability, well I hope BMW engineers have thought about that before implementing it on their cars...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Once the novelty has faded away, yes it's a bit annoying especially because everytime it start again the gear level vibrates quite a lot. But I guess with time we'll get used to it. And concerning the reliability, well I hope BMW engineers have thought about that before implementing it on their cars...
    it seems to work only when the outside temperature is above 3 degree Celsius...pretty much always in most parts of Spain. I think you will keep it in gear much more than you were used to with the Mini and use the clutch much more. (the use of only the clutch and keeping the engine running idle, will bring you to third gear without any problem...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    What milage has your yellow Mini done, something ridiculous wasn't it?
    It's about to break the 100k miles barrier and we've had it since June 2005. The car feels totally different to when I had my driving lessons in it (it was in good condition back then, now the mechanicals need a thorough overhaul (not economically viable) and it's getting worn on the interior), so I think it's going to be replaced soon I'm afraid.

It's a shame because we've become quite attached to that little car. It was Dad's first (proper) car for the driving school, and we used it to set the 'school up and running. I learned to drive (officially ) in it, as did my best mate and girlfriend...and now it's not the little machine it once was . The bodywork's still perfect but driving school cars take such a beating mechanically and on all the control surfaces (steering wheel, gearlever etc).

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    it seems to work only when the outside temperature is above 3 degree Celsius...pretty much always in most parts of Spain.
    That would make sense - diesels need pre-ignition time before starting in those temperatures, and that'd probably take too long for the Stop and Start tech to work properly.

I think you will keep it in gear much more than you were used to with the Mini and use the clutch much more. (the use of only the clutch and keeping the engine running idle, will bring you to third gear without any problem...)
    As in moving off from rest using only the clutch, then once the engine management system's ticking it along, changing-up carefully?
    Last edited by Clivey; 12-14-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    It's about to break the 100k miles barrier and we've had it since June 2005. The car feels totally different to when I had my driving lessons in it (it was in good condition back then, now the mechanicals need a thorough overhaul (not economically viable) and it's getting worn on the interior), so I think it's going to be replaced soon I'm afraid.
    Bloody hell, and my Dad thinks the A6 is bad and it's only 1month newer than your Minis. Gonna replace them with newer Mini's? I've decided that I'm going to base my driving school on what cars they use lol, I've seen a few Skoda Fabia vRS's out front of college.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

As in moving off from rest using only the clutch, then once the engine management system's ticking it along, changing-up carefully?
    yep, if you handle the clutch delicately, the engine will not stall. It comes in very handy in traffic cues.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's fun, I drove (hid it when he wasn't looking) a friends 306 1.9TurboD the other week and I didn't touch the throttle once
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

yep, if you handle the clutch delicately, the engine will not stall. It comes in very handy in traffic cues.
    I know, I was just seeking clarification of what you were meaning when you said:

I think you will keep it in gear much more than you were used to with the Mini and use the clutch much more. (the use of only the clutch and keeping the engine running idle, will bring you to third gear without any problem...)
    It is great to be able to do that though, unless like in the Mini, the clutch is excessively heavy = sucks in traffic jams.

That is true, but also a bit annoying coupled to the longer gearing of 2nd. That's because in the Mini when I drove at very slow speeds (10-15km/h) I used to use 2nd for that. But in the BMW 2nd gear is 17,6km/h per 1000rpm which means that if I put it in second at like 10km/h the car accelerates "on it's own".

I'll have to get used to that and use first more often.
    It is great to be able to do that though, unless like in the Mini, the clutch is excessively heavy = sucks in traffic jams.
    And I guess the Cooper S is even worse than the diesel. But I didn't thought it was that bad. The 1-series is notably softer on everything, though.
    Visca Catalunya!

That is true, but also a bit annoying coupled to the longer gearing of 2nd. That's because in the Mini when I drove at very slow speeds (10-15km/h) I used to use 2nd for that. But in the BMW 2nd gear is 17,6km/h per 1000rpm which means that if I put it in second at like 10km/h the car accelerates "on it's own".

I'll have to get used to that and use first more often.
    Yes, same with the Minis, you control that with your clutch. A word of warning is to be careful when turning at a junction - you sometimes change down to second and drop to the speed that the engine management system kicks-in at. It will, if you're not careful, give you a bit of a shock and a "kick" of acceleration half way 'round a bend. If you partially depress the clutch when you drop below that speed, you avoid this.

Yes, same with the Minis, you control that with your clutch. A word of warning is to be careful when turning at a junction - you sometimes change down to second and drop to the speed that the engine management system kicks-in at. It will, if you're not careful, give you a bit of a shock and a "kick" of acceleration half way 'round a bend. If you partially depress the clutch when you drop below that speed, you avoid this.
    a lesson only to engage the clutch when you are actively shifting, and not when you slow down, or even worse, when doing a roundabout in the first place. This system will also come as a surprise for those who put the car in idle way before coming to an actual stop....

a lesson only to engage the clutch when you are actively shifting, and not when you slow down, or even worse, when doing a roundabout in the first place. This system will also come as a surprise for those who put the car in idle way before coming to an actual stop....
    I was just going to say that (the last bit). It has happened to me a couple of times putting it in neutral some metres before the red lights which then turn green and so I shift into second and because I was going so slow the car accelerates and I almost crash with the car in front. All very "exciting".
    Visca Catalunya!

I was just going to say that (the last bit). It has happened to me a couple of times putting it in neutral some metres before the red lights which then turn green and so I shift into second and because I was going so slow the car accelerates and I almost crash with the car in front. All very "exciting".
    As I said: If you're careful with the clutch, that won't happen...

In Brazil we don't have diesel cars . Only trucks and pickups and SUVs.

ouch....
    May the downforce be with you

Thread Information