Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New bike time

is the noise limit for bikes the same as cars or are they more lenient?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

In the UK bike noise limits are worse by virtue of how it's measured
    We've seen bikes pulled for exhaust and Civics with fart cans go past making MUCH worse noise --- and not needing the extra defense a loiud exhaust offers a biker

oh, i always got the sense bikes were louder - and that it was allowed because of the smaller exhaust system or something compared to a car
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    The thing is, leather is generally made from cows. And Cows are not endangered, they're actually bred to make leather and other commodities.
    Many animals used in the fur industry are bred for that purpose and would not exist otherwise. So an endangered species is not the issue here, and I have seen paint or flour thrown on old ladies for leather purses.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Stooopid poster
    Coos and kangaroos are NOT bred for the leather.
    First thing we eat the meat ( and in the latter just reduce the infestations ).
    They are not confined to cages to prevent damage to the pelt.
    THAT is what the protestors are complaining about.
    Fur animals provide no other produce beyonf the pelt.

Yes you will come across the vegan extremists who will also have a go at leather and will not wear leather shoes. Those I respect as it is the "total animal quality of life" that concenrs them , not just the bits they don't liek -- ie fur haters who munch MacDonalds

Suggest you research the larger issues and protestors of the fur trade and purchasers of the output before coming across a hypocritical snob !!!!
    Good points, even if you do come off a little arrogant in the delivery. I have done a bunch of research (for papers and because I generally like arguing with people who badmouth meat eaters,) which is where I came across a lot of this.

Yes, some protesters are like what you describe and only complain about animals kept solely for their pelts that spend their lives in cages. Many, many others complain about wearing leather/fur no matter what, or using it in cars, etc. I have yet to see any of them throw paint on a biker, but I have seen those groups attack elderly people and models on the runway.

I have friends who hunt that often make the pelts into clothes and or accessories for friends and relatives, and one had his wife verbally assaulted for it. The animal was eaten, it was not confined to a cage, and using the pelt is using as much of it as possible, yet she was still verbally assaulted for wearing it. I should add that she's kind of an unassuming looking lady at about 5' 2" and a little over 100lbs (blackbelt in judo, though.) Her husband who's over 6 feet tall has never had that problem, and was not there at the time.

I don't agree with using the fur from endangered species (they are protected after all,) and I don't particularly like caging animals to be used for fur. But if you're going to throw paint on a little old lady for wearing a leather purse, or verbally assault a tiny woman for "murdering" what is after all a pest animal to get fur trim on her coat even after she explains where she got it, then have the balls to do the same to someone your own size.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    oh, i always got the sense bikes were louder - and that it was allowed because of the smaller exhaust system or something compared to a car
    I don't know about over there but quite often here the bikes aren't under the legal noise limit but get away with it anyways. My uncle had a Harley that he'd built with a 106 inch stroker motor and shotgun pipes that would set off car alarms constantly. He's far from the only one like that, too.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Many animals used in the fur industry are bred for that purpose and would not exist otherwise. So an endangered species is not the issue here, and I have seen paint or flour thrown on old ladies for leather purses.

Good points, even if you do come off a little arrogant in the delivery. I have done a bunch of research (for papers and because I generally like arguing with people who badmouth meat eaters,) which is where I came across a lot of this.

Yes, some protesters are like what you describe and only complain about animals kept solely for their pelts that spend their lives in cages. Many, many others complain about wearing leather/fur no matter what, or using it in cars, etc. I have yet to see any of them throw paint on a biker, but I have seen those groups attack elderly people and models on the runway.

I have friends who hunt that often make the pelts into clothes and or accessories for friends and relatives, and one had his wife verbally assaulted for it. The animal was eaten, it was not confined to a cage, and using the pelt is using as much of it as possible, yet she was still verbally assaulted for wearing it. I should add that she's kind of an unassuming looking lady at about 5' 2" and a little over 100lbs (blackbelt in judo, though.) Her husband who's over 6 feet tall has never had that problem, and was not there at the time.

I don't agree with using the fur from endangered species (they are protected after all,) and I don't particularly like caging animals to be used for fur. But if you're going to throw paint on a little old lady for wearing a leather purse, or verbally assault a tiny woman for "murdering" what is after all a pest animal to get fur trim on her coat even after she explains where she got it, then have the balls to do the same to someone your own size.
    nobody here gives a crap about possum fur or fox fur so far as i can tell. mainly because they're pests in new zealand and here respectively, so they were always going to be killed...just making some use out of them as a bonus. i don't understand why anyone would be against it.

nobody here gives a crap about possum fur or fox fur so far as i can tell. mainly because they're pests in new zealand and here respectively, so they were always going to be killed...just making some use out of them as a bonus. i don't understand why anyone would be against it.
    I don't get complaints about cow, fox or rabbit either. Or (black) bears, deer, etc, but it does happen here quite a bit. A store selling stuff like that was lit on fire a while ago and the group that claimed responsibility said it was because the guy was selling bearskin rugs (well, ignoring their rhetoric that was the gist of it.)
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Well I'm one of those "there is only one colour for a GSX-R" and that's the orignal racing colours. Wish that hadn't messed with it for the latest bikes - semi-naked chicks bike = win for me. But hey if the price is right the colour doens't make it any faster

And here's the real reasons Suzuki riders have more fun

Crutch rocket me like.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Don't knock bike riding till you've tried it on a decent bike on decent roads. Once car fans get enough balls to ride fast they realise how tame the performance and buzz of a car is.

As for the leather ... any rider who doesn't wear full leathers is an idiot and a good candidate for the organ donor program. I've ridden in all weathers and even thehottest French summers aroudn Le Mans I wear full leathers as you never know when some retard in a tin can might hit you. Gravel rash takes on a whole new level when the skins removed by tarmac at the rate of an inch of skin for every yard travelled.
    The hottest french summer is lightweight compared to what you can expect should you attempt to do the same thing in Australia.......

I read somewhere that Barry Sheene once came off his bike and slid so far on his back that his kidneys were under threat from being scraped by tarmac

I've never really been a big bike riding person TBH - never even did the pushbike thing as a kid.

I make fun because you end up looking like some sort of Power Ranger 95% of the time.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Nice Organ Donation Machine.
    lol...

Nice bike you have bought 2ndcc!
    Congrats, and enjoy.
    Be careful to!

is the noise limit for bikes the same as cars or are they more lenient?
    The compliance sticker on mine is 93dB at 5500rpm.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    The compliance sticker on mine is 93dB at 5500rpm.
    sure, sure, and at what distance did they test it to get that result
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-24-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The hottest french summer is lightweight compared to what you can expect should you attempt to do the same thing in Australia.......
    yes and no.
    True that "hot" day was only the high 30s.
    BUT some mitigating points.
    1) In Australia you wodlnt' buy leathers for riding at 5-10 deg C for half of the year ( stingy scots we won't buy a set jsut for going to somewhere it *might* be warm ). So your leathers are probably thinner/cooler
    2) Le Mans the average speed was about 15mph and the max I got to that day was about 30. So no cooling effect by driving faster which less likely an issue in Aus ( unless you're travelling on GP day near the track I reckon )
    I make fun because you end up looking like some sort of Power Ranger 95% of the time.
    True ... but all black leathers are WAY more menacing Sadly they're the worst for heating up in the sun !!
    Without leathers the alternative to spend life in wheelchair receiving regular skin grafts aint pretty.

yes and no.
    True that "hot" day was only the high 30s.
    BUT some mitigating points.
    1) In Australia you wodlnt' buy leathers for riding at 5-10 deg C for half of the year ( stingy scots we won't buy a set jsut for going to somewhere it *might* be warm ). So your leathers are probably thinner/cooler

It's entirely possible to drive from my house in 35 Degree heat to The mountains where it can hit the 7 degrees. In two hours

2) Le Mans the average speed was about 15mph and the max I got to that day was about 30. So no cooling effect by driving faster which less likely an issue in Aus ( unless you're travelling on GP day near the track I reckon )

Our GP is on public roads

True ... but all black leathers are WAY more menacing Sadly they're the worst for heating up in the sun !!
    Without leathers the alternative to spend life in wheelchair receiving regular skin grafts aint pretty.
    It's entirely preferable to be somewhat sweaty than be Holey.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

So your leathers are probably thinner/cooler
    Doubt it, our market's waaaaaaaay too small for us to get special leathers. Plus, you wouldn't want them to be thinner anyway. TBH though, my leather's don't get a huge amount of use. Pants only when at the track or having a proper scratch, and the jacket is getting much use at the moment, have been wearing a vented textile one to keep cooler.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information