Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mini Update

not sure, i'm betting he is on ausmini.com though!
    to be honest some of that stuff about 1275's makes me a bit nervous.. will definately have to look into that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

red mini has been moved outof the shed and put under a tarp, gets picked up this weekend.
    the space meant i could get into the yellow one, and fit the guages. well, i plugged them all in and called it a day, no idea if they'll work or not.

also.. gearbox is back! i'd list what was wrong with it and what had to be replaced, but there is a 10000 character limit on these posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

all the little patches on the front end are now cleaned up and had primer put on; currently working on the backseat area.
    once i bleed the brakes and swap the oil out i'm going to drive it up and down the street to test the guages, as is (sans bonnet and headlight).
    found a 3 cluster dial set for my mini in my box of parts, reassembled it, ready to go in. tacho's a luxury back then!

also for reasons i cannot possibly begin to guess at the headlining of the yellow one is completely immaculate. ffs my uncle's an upholsterer, that would have been an easy fix, but noo i have to fiddle with bodywork

tried to get it started a coupel of times yesterday. failed. but it's only something minor so i abstained from torching it.
    also, i may need flares.

those wheels are so epic
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

they look really good against the yellow haha. not going to part with them though

How wide are they?! I thought the 165 tyres on mine looked wide, those are nuts... Mine had black plastic cheapo flares on it, they might do you. Or there's the ones on the other mini, they were a little nicer. Pretty much the same thing though.

Also in shot, my amazing rain guard for the dizzy. The coil (red thing) ended up with some clear plastic sheet wrapped over it held with wire. With those two it stopped stopping in the rain! Handy.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

they're...165's lol
    the way the steelie has been widened though, changed the offset - more of the wheel is pushed outwards (to fill flares i presume).
    those are the exact flares i'll be getting haha.

Ahh, that'd do it.. almost looks like they're on backwards with that offset!

you can get 185's for that size wheel but.. they're golf buggy wheels

anyway.. thoughts?
    ausmini :: View topic - twin 1 1/2" keihin carby to suit mini. UPDATED pics

Yea, I've seen some crazy wide mini wheels, but they were 13" alloys, not 10" steelies.

Not sure about the carbs, mine just had a single 1 1/2" SU on it. A guy once told me he put the carb from an early 80s Honda City on there because he got better mileage out of it.. but meh, moar powaa is what you want. If those are easier to tune than twin SUs then it could be good, but what's the difference between those and a weber?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Yea, I've seen some crazy wide mini wheels, but they were 13" alloys, not 10" steelies.
    yeah, got told 13"s are no good, 10"s are the best for the suspension and steering.. 12"s are okay if the overall profile is similar apparently. meh, the brake kit is cheaper for the smaller wheels haha

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Not sure about the carbs, mine just had a single 1 1/2" SU on it. A guy once told me he put the carb from an early 80s Honda City on there because he got better mileage out of it.. but meh, moar powaa is what you want. If those are easier to tune than twin SUs then it could be good, but what's the difference between those and a weber?
    i definately prefer twins, the webers apparently have less fine adjustments than SU's and these.
    these are cheaper than the twin 1.5" SU setup for sale on minispares by about $600.
    i'm just wondering if these will present other problems?

hmm.. so the flares i'm looking at are 1.75" wide.
    now this car has spaced drums off a cooper S fitted in the rear (pic 1).
    whilst this is ideal for making the puny 10x4.5 flush with the guards as is (pic 2), the steelies look like they're falling off the car (pic 3).
    it will probably work out once lowered and with flares fitted, but not sure if it will fit under the 1.75" space (pic 4).

as you can see the actual difference in widths isn't large, but there is a massive difference in offset between the face of the two rims. also i'm painting the minilite knock off's gloss black. just because. maybe i'l leave the lip polished. (pic 5 and 6)

also considering i have a spare set of spaced drums for the blue mini, i am considering putting the spaced cover on the front wheels of the yellow for lulz, just to see how truly ridiculously far out i can make the wheels protrude.

Hope the extra width doesn't put undue stress on your suspension..

i've probably widened the track by an illegal amount, lol.

Thread Information