Thread: The Silver Arrow turns 75; two of the finest Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix cars ...

The Silver Arrow turns 75; two of the finest Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix cars ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

From 1934 onwards Grand Prix racing was very much a German affair; Mercedes-Benz dominated and only compatriots Auto Union were able to challenge them. The enormously powerful racing cars created in this era still baffle to this day. By 1937 the unlimited supercharged engines produced well over 500 bhp for which the primitive tires and suspension design were no match. Something had to be done to slow the cars down and for 1938 a displacement limit of 3-litre for blown engines was introduced. Mercedes-Benz' answer to this challenge was the exquisite W154, which featured a brand new V12 engine. The beautiful twin-cam, supercharged engine produced a hefty 460 bhp to the end of its development span. In the following two seasons W154s won 11 of the 16 races they competed in. The W154 pictured in our feature gallery was regularly raced in 1938 and 1939, and was eventually used by the great Juan Manuel Fangio after the War.
    The Italians were tired of seeing thir cars beaten by the 'Silver Arrows' and late in 1938 decided to have the next edition of the prestigious Tripoli Grand Prix run under 'voiturette' regulations. With a 1.5 litre displacement limit, these were very literally 'small (Grand Prix) cars'. Both Maserati and Alfa Romeo had competitive cars for this class making an Italian victory highly likely. Mercedes-Benz however was determined to defend their 1938 win. In order to take part in the race they constructed a 'voiturette' racer of their own, the W165. It was created by combining a new V8 engine with slightly smaller version of the W154 chassis. Two cars were entered and due to the very limited time available, the second car was completed on the boat to North Africa. It was more than sufficient and the Germans scored a smashing 1-2 victory. It was the only time these cars were ever competitively raced. Our detailed article on the W165 is illustrated with images of Hermann Lang's winning example.

Enjoy the links:

1938 - 1939 Mercedes-Benz W154 - Images, Specifications and Information

1939 Mercedes-Benz W165 - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thanks for the GP machines.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Very, very nice, although I can't help feeling the superlative Mercedes-Benz W125 and the Auto-Union type C would have been a better subject, seeing that they were the final iterations of the 750kg, unlimited engine rules racers, the Mercedes having up to 646bhp in it's final days.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Very, very nice, although I can't help feeling the superlative Mercedes-Benz W125 and the Auto-Union type C would have been a better subject, seeing that they were the final iterations of the 750kg, unlimited engine rules racers, the Mercedes having up to 646bhp in it's final days.
    Here
    1937 Mercedes-Benz W125 - Images, Specifications and Information
    and here
    1936 - 1937 Auto Union Type C - Images, Specifications and Information
    sir.

checking here
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/brandlist/
    before posting does help a little.....
    Last edited by henk4; 03-13-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    before posting does help a little.....
    What I meant was that these cars get the "in-depth" treatment that all the best cars have been getting of late, not just the standard page. Next time I post, I'll have to dumb down a bit if you like.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

What I meant was that these cars get the "in-depth" treatment that all the best cars have been getting of late, not just the standard page. Next time I post, I'll have to dumb down a bit if you like.
    as the German saying goes, :"The better is the enemy of the good"...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It is really incredible for how long "500 horsepower" has been a reality. It really makes me feel the automobile is an object that hasn´t evolved in way too long.

We´re still obsessing about power and it´s such an outdated topic! and have that same pervasive dick measuring partout; Still fapping about who´s got the orangest, loudest, rarest or most exclusive machine, instead of reclaiming the percentage of the urban landscape that should belong to us human beings, or questioning the whole experience an automobile brings: the freedom, and the prepotence as well.

We should be demanding products that do not isolate us from one another, but bring us together.

Down with big cars!

</rant>
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

I am sorry but the difference between the latest articles and the older ones on the W125 and Type C are minimal. Additionally the W154 and W165 are superior cars in many respects.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information