Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sebring 12 Hours: The amazing Audi R15 up close and uncovered ...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    funny that you should say that, because the LMP1 regulations allow such engines.....and yet nobody is using them.
    Well perhaps the regulations favour normally aspirated engines. Or perhaps those are the only available for costumers.

I'm not an expert by any means, but comparing a turbocharged 5,5 litre engine to a 4 litre normally aspirated one doesn't sound very fair.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well perhaps the regulations favour normally aspirated engines. Or perhaps those are the only available for costumers.

I'm not an expert by any means, but comparing a turbocharged 5,5 litre engine to a 4 litre normally aspirated one doesn't sound very fair.
    Maximum engine sizes for LMP1 are
    7 liter petrol, based on production engine
    6 liter petrol prototype
    4 liter prototype with turbo/supercharger
    5.5 liter diesel turbo charged.
    The actual rules regarding restrictors aim at making the engines produce about the same power.

Acura is now using a 4 liter unaspirated petrol engine, seeking for a combination between lightness and optimal restrictions.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

funny that you should say that, because the LMP1 regulations allow such engines.....and yet nobody is using them.
    Well other than AER that is....but no one has yet to build a twin-turbo petrol engine that's at R8's FSI Turbo level.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Well other than AER that is....but no one has yet to build a twin-turbo petrol engine that's at R8's FSI Turbo level.....
    The AER was used in the old Protran, Courages and the obsolete Chamberlain Lola which now races in the USA.
    At the end of its time the restrictor equalised the R8 power to Judd levels, and yet Henri was unable to win the last Le Mans before the diesel appeared.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I believe the 2 Lola in US are actually the ex-Dyson cars from 2006. Which I believe was the first AER-powered cars in LMP1. The main issue was direct injection, which no one other than Porsche and Audi use. Mazda is said to be developing it, but it is yet to be raced.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I believe the 2 Lola in US are actually the ex-Dyson cars from 2006. Which I believe was the first AER-powered cars in LMP1. The main issue was direct injection, which no one other than Porsche and Audi use. Mazda is said to be developing it, but it is yet to be raced.
    The chassis plate on the Intersport car actually suggests that it is a B05/40 LMP2 car (HU08), which would be quite remarkable.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

As far as I know the Autocon Lola is B05-10/HU07, the ex Synergy/Chamberlain car, formerly owned by Bob Berridge.

B06/10, in 2005 the only Lola was the P2 car, with the 675 cars running in P1 class.

I wonder if they do share the same tub though, Lola did design them for both classes with the intention of sharing the design....

AFAIK AutoCon bought the ex Dyson 675 car first, then they acquired a P1 after, but I am not 100% on the source of the P1 car. Now that I think of it, it might have been Intersport who bought both Lola P1 from Dyson. Ultimately one was destroyed last season at Mosport and they did not end up fixing it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    why not the diesotto too so?!

by that time, we are all going to commute with segways
    bicycles are the vehicles of the future.....and diesotto is variable compression ratio....
    Is diesotto the same as homogenous charge compression ignition?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Is diesotto the same as homogenous charge compression ignition?
    Yes it is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

ive gotta say, after watching the R15 run at sebring, i really enjoy the tail lights. they look like glowing battle axes flying through the dark.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

The R15 looks great on the track form all angles.

The new rims which have some lip to them are a big improvement over the R10.

Thread Information