Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the C5 's little sister has finally arrived.

good point p, another 10% is pushing the envelope harder and much fewer around then
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Well 5l/100km is only 56mpg and ots can manage THAT in steady state 55mph good road.

The C3 is 85mpg and that is needing a more modern engine and fuel management but even in 10 year old cars I've seen better than that come up on computer displays when having "fun" seeing how high and how low you can make it

It's stop/start, acceleration, higher speeds and undulations that screw with the real world figures
    How long before you have to slow down for traffic or accelerate to overtake a lorry?

The lowest I could get with a 1600cc petrol car is 8l/100km. Altough admittedly it was supercharged...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

AS I said F, only in steady state, which is fair to assume was the condition when Pieter saw the magic number come up on the C3 quote -- "Seeing the computer read outs of 30km/liter while doing 85 kph "
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I managed to see a 700km range on the Mini's on-board compute once, altough I had just filled up and was going downhill.

Does that count?
    Visca Catalunya!

nah downhill is cheating
    Coudl get the big Beemer 7-series to show --.- on downhills !!
    ... and 0.0 if you floored it

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^ Actually steady state 55mpg there are a few that could reach that peak point !
    But those conditions usually only exist for a few hundred metres before boredom has you flooring the throttle again
    It's the overal consumption that is good for this.
    ive been a watcher of petrol consumption ever since i had my first car - ive made it a point to get to know the exact consumption of any car ive driven in since then

there are ZERO mass produced petrols getting 30 km/L. the best petrols are the 3 cylinder Kei's.

getting better than 20 km/L (5L/100km) isnt easy - there have been many tho - & what ive been looking at for a long time are the fastest & most powerfull "20 km/Liter" cars

so far the best one ive found is the original Honda City Turbo. it came out in 1981 & could top out at 185 kmh

a certian 3 cylinder dihatsu mira (800 odd cc) is one of the best non-kei petrols ive heard of - 23.5 km/L

the VW FSI 1600 & 2000 are the cheapest running large cylinder cars ive heard of - getting a 1600 to give more than 20 km/L is what i thought was impossible untill i read of their FSI models

turbo diesels setup for economy blow petrols away in the economy stakes

My 790cc motorbike struggles to average 7l/100kms on a tank.. but then that's at most half stop start commuting and I don't ride it with a mind to economy. If it's all heavy commuting then it nudges 8l...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    This is certainly the case. There's hardly any discussion to be had regarding this point.
    Visca Catalunya!

ive been a watcher of petrol consumption ever since i had my first car - ive made it a point to get to know the exact consumption of any car ive driven in since then

there are ZERO mass produced petrols getting 30 km/L. the best petrols are the 3 cylinder Kei's.

getting better than 20 km/L (5L/100km) isnt easy - there have been many tho - & what ive been looking at for a long time are the fastest & most powerfull "20 km/Liter" cars

so far the best one ive found is the original Honda City Turbo. it came out in 1981 & could top out at 185 kmh

a certian 3 cylinder dihatsu mira (800 odd cc) is one of the best non-kei petrols ive heard of - 23.5 km/L

the VW FSI 1600 & 2000 are the cheapest running large cylinder cars ive heard of - getting a 1600 to give more than 20 km/L is what i thought was impossible untill i read of their FSI models

The three "sisters" of Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo, are with the 3 cylinder petrol engine running an average of 23km/l in my father's car.
    Many of these modern small cars are starting to get insane milage.
    You should also watch Volvo's next greenline, there will be something interesting there too.
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

But those have a much smaller 1 litre engine.
    Visca Catalunya!

getting better than 20 km/L (5L/100km) isnt easy
    Hear what you're saying B, BUT the comment is in regard to instantenous consumption report from onboard computer.

and yes in ideal conditions a modern engine will do that.
    As already stated, just not on hills, in traffic or accelerating

and am I the only one having to use a calculater to go l/100km, mpg, mpg(American) and km/l . Thanks for giving two of them

first refuelling yesterday, after 894 km. I put in 44.2 liters, which would calculate as 20.2 km per litre, assuming that the dealer supplied us with a completely full fuel tank. (which I doubt ) and furthermore that the odometer is exact, which can also be doubted. After having filled up the tank, the computer told me that I could now drive another 1300 kms. (but not for long)

According to the computer consumption was 21.7 km per liter, which would also point at a less than full tank upon delivery. After 200 kms of considered highway driving yesterday the total average consumption according to the computer had gone up to 22.2 km/l.

The start stop system works perfectly, there is surprising little noise when restarting. Parking manoeuvres can easily be done on the clutch only, and it will happily potter along at idle revs in 2nd and even 3rd gear.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

900kms on a tank! Not bad!

Altough Isuspect that was respecting the rules strictly...

I like cars with long ranges. I despise stoping for fuel.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    900kms on a tank! Not bad!

Altough Isuspect that was respecting the rules strictly...

I like cars with long ranges. I despise stoping for fuel.
    The rules were bend heavily, as most of the kms were done by the younger members of the family.....I did the last 200, which resulted in an immediate increase of the overall avergae. I have to teach my wife to stay away from the throttle as much as possible, and she is on a learning curve there.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Then that's even more amazing. It seems like the eco mods really work.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information