Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: R-35 GTR delayed until 2007!

R-35 GTR delayed until 2007!

Bad news, the R-35 GTR will not be seen for another 3 or more years. Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn has stated that it is because the has not seen a design that 'I really like yet'. He also said that he wants the new GTR to be as big a technological leap forward as the R-32 was in 1989.

Since Carlos has taken over at Nissan it has become very successful again (he is credited with the G35 Infiniti and 350 Z, as well as other recent successes for Nissan), so if the final product is as good as he suggested, it will be worth the wait. Insiders still point to two different engines available, a V8 of between 4.5 and 5.4 litres for North America, and a twin turbo 3.3 litre version of the 3.5 in the current 350 Z. Both are aimed at 300 kw or more.

The actual design intended for use won't even be seen at a motor show until at least 2006.

ive heard theyre gunna use a VQ30DETT as well as the 4.5L V8 found in alot of Infiniti's, both aimed to break 300kw as you said

a v8 skyline???????????? well dats a 1st.......besides shudnt dat boss guy actually get the opinion of other ppl other than wat he just likes......besides i cant wait till the r35 gt-r comes out....eventhough it will take longer than expected

well its to appeal to american buyers as its the first global GT-R, and personally i'd take the V8 over the VQ

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    well its to appeal to american buyers as its the first global GT-R, and personally i'd take the V8 over the VQ
    do u think they'll allow that v8 skyline into the v8 supercars challenging the fords and holdens? i think they also have sum v8 supra coming out but not sure if it is tru or not

is that something like the 5000gt? ive seen sketches of one in wheels magazine, but they said it was gunna have an f1 inspired v10, unless thats supposed to sit above the supra. i dont see it being included into V8 supercars as its only currently open to locally made V8 RWD cars, and ford and holden are the only ones with an eligble entry. perhaps the next time the system gets changed (usually about every 10 or so years ive found, and the V8 supercars was introduced in 1993 so a change is due soon) there maybe a loophole, but mitsubishi would be more eager to put a magna in, in the hope it would increase the sales of the car

is that something like the 5000gt? ive seen sketches of one in wheels magazine, but they said it was gunna have an f1 inspired v10, unless thats supposed to sit above the supra. i dont see it being included into V8 supercars as its only currently open to locally made V8 RWD cars, and ford and holden are the only ones with an eligble entry. perhaps the next time the system gets changed (usually about every 10 or so years ive found, and the V8 supercars was introduced in 1993 so a change is due soon) there maybe a loophole, but mitsubishi would be more eager to put a magna in, in the hope it would increase the sales of the car
    yea......its not very famous here...and i think they shud also allow sum other cars apart from fords and holdens enter the v8 supercars well but only the deciding ppl can decide and that just my opinion....besides its seems really cool n fun actually talkin 2 u nicely

well dont say anything racist or stupid, and ill try not to either and it should be fine.

It's getting harder and harder to change now, pre 1997 wouldve been the best time for a major rules change like the inclusion of Mitsubishi, since AVESCO was established in 1997. But with the China round next year theyre obviously aiming at globalisation, so bringing in a 3rd manufacturer would help that. Have a look at NASCAR, they quite happily get along with Ford, Chev and Dodge, with the V8 Supercars borrowing heavily in the engine department from NASCAR, so that leaves Mitsubishi able to use a Dodge engine. But then theres Toyota........

But back to what you originally suggested, after the whitewash of 1991 and 1992, i think the crowds would turn away in droves if the Skylines were allowed to race again, especially if the R-35 is supposed to be as groundbreaking as the R-32

well dont say anything racist or stupid, and ill try not to either and it should be fine.

It's getting harder and harder to change now, pre 1997 wouldve been the best time for a major rules change like the inclusion of Mitsubishi, since AVESCO was established in 1997. But with the China round next year theyre obviously aiming at globalisation, so bringing in a 3rd manufacturer would help that. Have a look at NASCAR, they quite happily get along with Ford, Chev and Dodge, with the V8 Supercars borrowing heavily in the engine department from NASCAR, so that leaves Mitsubishi able to use a Dodge engine. But then theres Toyota........

But back to what you originally suggested, after the whitewash of 1991 and 1992, i think the crowds would turn away in droves if the Skylines were allowed to race again, especially if the R-35 is supposed to be as groundbreaking as the R-32
    lol, the crowds'll prolly be full of asians n ppl like me hu luv v8s as well as jap cars, so does it mean that the r-38 (if it ever comes out) is gonna be as ground breaking as the r-35? besides apart from breaking the 300kw what else is gonna be "ground breaking" in the r-35?

dis is a pic of da r35 gtr i got 4rm google....not sure if its real or not.......if it is then the boss guy made da rite move in not releasing the r35 gtr yet as the body wud b a total flop
    Attached Images Attached Images

well im getting the hint that things like active yaw control, electronic stability control, traction control and some other computer programs as well as possibly a major upgrade on the AWD system would do it

Originally posted by r34_296kw
    dis is a pic of da r35 gtr i got 4rm google....not sure if its real or not.......if it is then the boss guy made da rite move in not releasing the r35 gtr yet as the body wud b a total flop
    well to me that honestly looks like a modified R34 wil hints of the silvia in the front end. from what ive seen the difference between an r34 and r35 will be the difference between a 300zx and 350z. its apparently gunna share the 350z's platform so possibly what we should be looking at for design hints is already in showrooms

well im getting the hint that things like active yaw control, electronic stability control, traction control and some other computer programs as well as possibly a major upgrade on the AWD system would do it
    yeah and i reckon they shud use da design of a 1994 mitsubishi gto/3000gt which looks like a ferarri........if they want it ground breaking and totally new then it time the look gets a new look and different from most of the r32,r33 and r34 and wud a supercharger be good?

well generally superchargers are good if your after good off the line response and bottom end power/torque. manufacturers only use roots and screw type superchargers for their extra reliability and lower running costs, but centrifugal superchargers produce more top end power, so if Nissan wanted to use that on one of the engines it would have its benefits, but they'd get more from a turbo/twin turbo setup

Wow, people are actually writing on my thread.....

Nissan will NEVER use a supercharger on a performance car that is built for use in Japan. Japanese design philosophy dictates that superchargers belong in mid-power level luxury cars with small engines to mask their wieght. This is due to the Japanese displacement tax.

The V8 is only available for the US market. This is (according to SPEED magazine) due to the fact that the highly tuned VQ35DETT they are planning on using would require tricky maintainance (like changing the oil ) regularly, and Americans are notorious at leaving these things go. Rather than compromise their reputation for reliability it is necessary that they provide a low maintenance and less stressed motor. The V8 will almost certainly be slower than the turbo six (the Japs will never choose the slower option) and as I said, will only be offered in the US. The motor is the 4.5 from the Infiniti, but with increased capacity, as I said, perhaps as high as 5.4 litres.

The picture you have posted is definitely not the R-35. It is an artists impression from about 1999. Carlos Ghosn has advisors, but makes up his own mind about what to release. Maybe he should ask more people, but under his guidance, Nissan has gone from corporate wet-blanket to cash cow, so maybe he doesn't need to.

Lastly, the advancements will probably involve the use of an aluminium or other lightweight structure, engine tech and driveline advancements, plus the computer aided handing mentioned earlier.

Thread Information