Thread: Restoring a Lada 2110

Restoring a Lada 2110

If you go to my profile, you will find the Lada 2110 in its last moments after being accidentally blown-up and set ablaze by my son's mechanic friend (haven't seen him since).

We have decided to attempt to rebuild this car since the chassis is still in pretty good condition. I'm the Mom BTW, so it was my desire to get proper information and expert advice during his so-called resurrection of his "Baby".

Fatska has been gracious enough to get us started with information I couldn't have gotten on my own... gee, I'm glad I found this place!

Building this car will take a long time since we will have to do it in stages, and with 'limited' resources, this thread may be active for a whole year!

ANY information, advice or tips from you guys would mean the world to me. I've opened a folder on my desktop to enter all tips, advice and links you guys can give me.

My son wants to rebuild it and "Pimp" it to look like the pic in my Avatar. I will come in with pics and info of what we're up to and if any of you feel we're not doing something right... FOR GOD SAKE... TELL ME!!
    Last edited by shamrocker; 10-03-2008 at 02:50 PM.

wouldn't a new car be cheaper than restoring a something in that state??
    are the mechanicals working, if they're not, i'd go for a new car...

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    wouldn't a new car be cheaper than restoring a something in that state??
    are the mechanicals working, if they're not, i'd go for a new car...
    yea, I'm sure getting a new one would be better value for money.

up to you though, I suppose it's more fun restoring one

...and why a lada 2110?
    80hp FWD is hardly thrilling, though 2421lb isn't bad...

This is my son's decision. His dad was going to give him the car anyway since we've just bought ourselves a new one (it drained our finances). Insurance isn't an option in Egypt; and since this fire was due to our own foolishness, we wouldn't have collected anyway.

At the end of the day, Father & son have decided to make it a project just for the heck of it. We can better afford to buy pieces here & there over time; a new car just isn't an option for our finances at this time.

My husband bought the Lada 2110 because it is a very common car in Egypt... you see them EVERYWHERE! It is the working man's car here. Trust me, not all Americans overseas are with big companies. My husband is Egyptian and has his own business, we earn Dollars for our work, but we're not wealthy by a long shot...lol

...if ti's very common, you could probably pick up tons of the cheap parts from the junkers

We only had the car a little over a year. Since it is a new model, I doubt we will find enough material to work with since most of the Ladas here are much older models. Many models as old as 15 years are still on the road. Now that you mentioned it, in all the 20 years I've lived here, I've never seen a junk yard; I don't think people here let such a resource go to waste. The same goes with wood, these are scarce resources here, so you won't find them being wasted in a junk yard. In fact, you would be amazed at how these people can take different models of trucks and vans to create an entire working machine... Frankenstein trucks all over the place here.... heck, oft' times I've seen the 'make' spelled wrong on the bed flap.

What my husband and son want to do is buy a body overseas to ship here. From there, they will piece it together a bit at a time.
    Last edited by shamrocker; 10-04-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: additional info left out of orginal post

Thread Information