Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Plaything

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    the only problem with the '32 skyline is that it sits just outside of how much i wish to pay. atleast, the GTR does - but i may just buy the RWD version and steal some flares and lip the guards.
    What's your budget mate?

As little as possible

I figure on an S13 I'd be spending around 6/7 grand for the car (with some existing mods) and then another five or six on it over the course of a year or two.

With different cars this would change, But the going rate for a R32 is still between ten to fifteen thousand.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

that TR-7 is pretty sweet...
    i vote no to the S13. because SR20's sound like ass.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

A white Crown Victoria with black bull bars.

If anyone happens to be in Québec City and come across one blasting "**** tha Police" by N.W.A at full volume tailgating people, it might just be me.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

sorry david ford only sold half decent sedans here (apart from the taurus experiment, which will never be mentioned again).
    no crown vics.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

TR7 V8 Horrendous Handling is atrocious and would need a LOT of £££ thrown at it to make it competitive. Mate competes one in the Scottish Classic/Historic race series and it's great on the long straights .... but on the hillclimb, sprint and twisty tracks it's a nightmare Watch out !!

"kit" ... Caterham, Westfield et al are expensive -- and MORE so for what you consider you get Ford Sierra donor car plus £2k for chassis and if you want another £3k on a bike engine and bingo you coudl have a car nobody could keep up with It IS still possible to build the Locost for £500 TOTAL ... but the amount of time then required is prohibitive Over here there's a great deal in buying up part built kits. So many people start without realising how much time it actually takes and years later decide they need the garage space for the wife's MPV and the kids bikes No chance you can do likewise there ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    sorry david ford only sold half decent sedans here (apart from the taurus experiment, which will never be mentioned again).
    no crown vics.
    Hmm... Taurus. You just reminded how much hatred I have for that car. In fact, just thinking about it makes me wanna kill.

Here, I made this on Photoshop out of boredom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Nota...... I want, the sister had a TR7 with the woeful 2 litre in it, but I used to stitch up so many cars in the Adelaide Hills it wasnt funny. It needed another 100hp as it used to get blown a way on the straights. It was completley stock with better suspension and decent brakes it would have been close to unbeatable. The car finally succumbed to many electrical issues and burnt out the wiring, she traded it on a new Magna
    Yeah I'm a believer ... you could have a lotta fun in a car like that. Fwiw I once was very tempted by a TR7 with a Dolly Sprint motor here in Canberra, motor seemed good, drove good, everything worked good, a 2 owner sportscar that presented good and even BRG .. all this for a miserable $1900! However the head (specifically the twincam head lol) & reputation over-ruled the heart, plus it had one of those offputting Webasto sunroofs so I gutzed out. One of the quickest cars in Canberra used to be a very shmick TR7 with injected Holden V8 & Supra box etc, the owner had even integrated a VL Commodore rear clip onto it which surprisingly looked ace & really befitted the car

If you ever get the chance to see a video of the 1997 Targa Tasmania then check out the incredible sideways driving of kiwi Mark Parsons who brought over his rally-type TR7 (complete with oversize mudflaps?) so reputedly not 'tarmac optimised'. It had a P38 V8 iirc, was 1st on handicap and got a close 3rd outright against two mega $$ new Porche turbos including a certain J Richards. Apparently this comparitively low-budget primitive relic opened a few eyes in '97 and could have beaten everything if not for a late minor booboo

I couldn't find a Parsons youtube but here's a bit of old TR7 V8 action to enjoy

YouTube - 1979 Manx
    YouTube - Malcom Wilson TR8 in Australia

TR7 V8 Horrendous Handling is atrocious and would need a LOT of £££ thrown at it to make it competitive. Mate competes one in the Scottish Classic/Historic race series and it's great on the long straights .... but on the hillclimb, sprint and twisty tracks it's a nightmare Watch out !!
    YouTube - TR7 V8 wins 1982 Scottish Rally Championship

TBH you'd be best to look at a pre '85 Corolla. They're all RWD.

and just rev the Tits off it.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Yeah I'm a believer ... you could have a lotta fun in a car like that. Fwiw I once was very tempted by a TR7 with a Dolly Sprint motor here in Canberra, motor seemed good, drove good, everything worked good, a 2 owner sportscar that presented good and even BRG .. all this for a miserable $1900! However the head (specifically the twincam head lol) & reputation over-ruled the heart, plus it had one of those offputting Webasto sunroofs so I gutzed out. One of the quickest cars in Canberra used to be a very shmick TR7 with injected Holden V8 & Supra box etc, the owner had even integrated a VL Commodore rear clip onto it which surprisingly looked ace & really befitted the car

If you ever get the chance to see a video of the 1997 Targa Tasmania then check out the incredible sideways driving of kiwi Mark Parsons who brought over his rally-type TR7 (complete with oversize mudflaps?) so reputedly not 'tarmac optimised'. It had a P38 V8 iirc, was 1st on handicap and got a close 3rd outright against two mega $$ new Porche turbos including a certain J Richards. Apparently this comparitively low-budget primitive relic opened a few eyes in '97 and could have beaten everything if not for a late minor booboo

I couldn't find a Parsons youtube but here's a bit of old TR7 V8 action to enjoy

YouTube - 1979 Manx
    YouTube - Malcom Wilson TR8 in Australia

YouTube - TR7 V8 wins 1982 Scottish Rally Championship

A guy know circuit race a TR7 with massive slicks and a 550hp v8, he also has a one he runs in Classic Adelaide.... it didnt do too wll last year, Ian was fine just shaken up
    YouTube - Classic Adelaide 2007 Triumph TR8 Crash

Nota I reckon Matra a triumph hater
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Didn't seem to slow that Torana guy down much

I concentrated on TR7 breakdowns and avoided the prangs

won't work for his budget. a 944 would be better.
    actually, something older, really, dead simple, that is still at least decently fun would be best of all. as little complicated gadgets or electronics as possible.

heh i've seen a few spitfires that are good at hillclimbs mine's just a cruiser though

Nice find .... I remember those days well. Golden WOnder were local company
    However, in the 80s the Scottish championship was empty of a lot of talent and team investment. Most top drivers were competing in the British with much bigger and better machinery. eg Jimmy McRae
    Even Wood was honest about the breakdowns, the suspension collapses and weak gearbox.....
    Not at all, the TR-6 are awesome and damn hard to fault in classic/historic events.
    But the TR7 was a shit design and built to a price that adding a V8 just gave more chassis twist.
    It was the worst of the ailments that infected the British motor industry of the day
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information