Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Update

You can always be sneaky and change the bodywork over anyway, right?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

yup
    i don't even think the yellow one was registered in Aus, i just swapped all the plates and VIN stuff across, someone told me this is illegal (rebirthing? wtf?)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You can't give birth to a car, wtf.

not unless you're gaping.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Think of a snake unhinging its jaws...

gearbox goes in tomorrow for rebuild. engine will be done in two weeks. progress!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

how much fun is it to change the bottom radiator hose in those things?

is it just a simple job, like radiator-out = skinned knuckles = "serenity now!" = psychotherapy?

bottom radiator hose? iirc on mine they both enter/exit out the top, disconnect then take radiator out? i dunno, was a quite awhile ago when i took it out.

one thing that does stick in my head... undoing the goddamn bonnet hinges, and reattaching the doors and their hinges

You probably saw this ages ago but what the hell...

Mini Owners Club Inc Qld - How to Restore your Mini by Paul Gulson

I could drive a mini now. I can also do the boot challenge.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

My mini had a bottom radiator hose.. I never replaced it, but I used to take it off the radiator to drain the 'coolant' (water) regularly.. there was a lot of crud in there. It blew off once, on the way to a friend's place.. I had to leave it there overnight, because I had to access it from the top, shoving my arm down between it and the engine... which was a little warm after running with no water for a few minutes.

I vaguely remember assisting (with beer) while a mate changed one on his g-f's cooper s, the radiator had to come out and be re-installed with the hose pre-attached to it, otherwise no hope in hell access-wise, definately an 8~10 can job (per person) iirc, and could be wrong but I seem to recall that removing the radiator was an ordeal in itself, involving fan shroud, fanbelt etc and all in a micro-environment

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

so glad i got lucky with mine, no rust!
    I vaguely remember assisting (with beer) while a mate changed one on his g-f's cooper s, the radiator had to come out and be re-installed with the hose pre-attached to it, otherwise no hope in hell access-wise, definately an 8~10 can job (per person) iirc, and could be wrong but I seem to recall that removing the radiator was an ordeal in itself, involving fan shroud, fanbelt etc and all in a micro-environment
    you may be right; i don't remember having much trouble with it though. attaching the hinges is what stands out in my head as a fiddly job!

I think I had my radiator out and it wasn't so bad.. but I had a smaller engine than a Cooper S. Same radiator though I think.. I recall it being irritating, but not overly time consuming or painful.

that link is great, the suspension settings in particular were something i was missing.

also;
    sold my business in Sydney and moved to Surfers Paradise because I loved the track - it was my favourite. They closed the track in 1985 and now houses are built there. Sad isn't it, to lose the best track in Australia, not knowing that Lakeside Raceway was to follow the same fate. The races they had at Lakeside Raceway were huge events - Grand Prix's, Touring Cars, Historic Races - all of our great drivers cut their teeth there.

The money from these events was squandered and not put away by bad management and no foresight into the future of another wonderful racetrack which couldn't be paid for at the end of the day and the Council, who now own the land, will never let it be used for motor sports again. Housing developments will win again, and maybe on a still night the sound of screaming engines will still be heard.

Maybe donations to Morgan Park Raceway at Ipswich would be a good investment to a future Lakeside-type race track, because the big paperclip raceway just does not do anything to excite most racing drivers I have spoken to. So, once again, a badly designed circuit exists and is funded by the Government, but you have to eat your caster oil.
    lakeside has been refurbished and re-opened, and morgan park raceway is getting an extension fun times ahead

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that link is great, the suspension settings in particular were something i was missing.
    Glad to be of help

I wonder if this guy is related to the Gulsons of Canberra, also noted racers of some repute back in the day (including Bathurst etc and maybe an AGP iirc?)

Thread Information