Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Art by Ethan Ford

Motor Art by Ethan Ford

Hi guys

Thought I would share a few of the drawings with the forum. Hope you enjoy, I'm always on the look out for new subjects... so any suggestions?

Ferrari 288 GTO
    Link One

Aston Martin DB4 GT Lightweight
    Link Two]

Ferrari F40
    Link Three

Delage D8-120 Aerosport Coupe
    Link Four

Ferrari 250 GTO California Spyder
    Link Five

If your interested, there's plenty more at my site.
    Last edited by IBrake4Rainbows; 06-11-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Welcome to UCP! Amazing sketches!

Yeah... These are the best car sketches I can recall seeing. Very, very nice.

Oooooooooooooook. I just went to your website. I am no art expert, but I don't think I have ever seen drawings as detailed as that that look as good. The closest thing I saw to your work was a friend's work of a hand - she attended a school of realist art, but the detail you have borders on retarded.

I would suggest drawing a 312/67 for the sake of the exhaust manifolds. This shot from UCP would be good.

One thing here we typically do though is attach pics - you can do so by before posting, clicking "Go Advanced" below the text box, then clicking "Manage Attachments." This way, the formatting isn't screwed up when you post big images and it doesn't lag for people with slow connections.

Thanks for sharing!

Are these genuine drawings, or are they based on pictures? there is an artist who paints over photos near my parents' pace, looks similar, just with colors.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Very fine cross-hatch technique. That's some time consuming stuff (though probably a little less than stippling). I was going to ask about your Rapidograph arsenal but see you've gone disposable; kudos on getting sponsorship from Staedtler! Good on ya!

As for subject matter, if cars are your thing keep it up. I will suggest adding human or natural elements though, as in general this type of illustration (as finely rendered as they might be) tend to look mechanical. Just .02 cents from an old design, art & creative director.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Hello and welcome to UCP.

Great images, fantastic skills set.

Please use the upload feature in future, that way we prevent dead links
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Firstly... Sorry about the image sizes, I go on many different forums that all seem to have different way for posting images!

Thanks for your kind words. They are all drawings by me. I use Pen & Ink, and on occasions I add graphite.

Kitdy, I have been thinking about the '67 312, I did something similar with an Eagle... I love that era! My ultimate aim is for realism, so when people say that, it is the ultimate compliment! Thanks.

Leon, these are all original artworks. I work from photos; I don't readily get access to the sort of cars I'm interested in

csl, thanks! The sponsorship deal has only recently happened, just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get!! I've always used their pens from when I started out stippling, I moved to crosshatch and didn't like the way the Mars tech pens scratched the paper. So, I tried a fibre nib pen and haven't looked back. I really appreciate your words of advice. I have been advised something similar when I applied to be accepted into The Guild of Motoring Artists. I was rejected cos my stuff looked like photocopies and were merely illustrations!

I guess my stubbornness and the insults made me want to continue how "I" wanted to! I think my style doesn't particularly lend itself to a more action packed subject. I've always been looking for older race cars where the driver is leaning on the car (sitting on the wheel etc). I WILL look to develop my style further, for now I am happy where I am. Its more enjoyment than needing to sell, we'll see!

Thanks again, and I'll post any new drawings... just via the manage attachments box

Ethan

Ethan, consider collecting old magazines like Motor, Classics & Sportscar and Road & Track for source material. Scour flea markets and antique shops for amateur motorsport photography. Take your camera to vintage car shows and events. You can always edit images for subjects, and if you don't have an overhead projector for your drafting table, get one. I did many pen, ink and brush illustrations back
    in the day and learned fast how important a good catalogue can be, and a table projector is the easiest way to transfer the basic image.

I agree about fibre drafting pens, have used them for years... Rapidographs are fussy, messy and now just gather dust. The only failing with Koh-i-noor, Staedtler, Pentel and others is heavy pressure cracks the nib... although splits can work nicely for fast sketches. A couple of Sharpies in different widths can be useful, too. Don't be afraid to shape your own nibs with an Exacto blade. These effectively replace brushes.

One other suggestion from an old illustrator: experiment with solids (black) in key areas, such as shadow or background. Try using overlay material to see what you like. It effects image depth in ways gradients can't. Keep at it, what you've shown so far is exquisite technique... and the best part is you're doing it for yourself!

Check out the AFAS, Automotive Fine Arts Society for a taste of where you could take your hobby. I own a couple of pieces by Peter Hearsey - Motor Sports Artist and though he's looser in his approach you'll find many technical similarities. Enjoy.

thanks! The sponsorship deal has only recently happened, just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get!! I've always used their pens from when I started out stippling, I moved to crosshatch and didn't like the way the Mars tech pens scratched the paper. So, I tried a fibre nib pen and haven't looked back. I really appreciate your words of advice. I have been advised something similar when I applied to be accepted into The Guild of Motoring Artists. I was rejected cos my stuff looked like photocopies and were merely illustrations!
    Last edited by Sauc3; 06-17-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chenlng View Post
    thanks! The sponsorship deal has only recently happened, just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get!! I've always used their pens from when I started out stippling, I moved to crosshatch and didn't like the way the Mars tech pens scratched the paper. So, I tried a fibre nib pen and haven't looked back. I really appreciate your words of advice. I have been advised something similar when I applied to be accepted into The Guild of Motoring Artists. I was rejected cos my stuff looked like photocopies and were merely illustrations!
    You too? What a coincidence!

P.S. Spamming using relevant information to a thread - smart. Spamming by copying the exact paragraph from 2 posts above yours... STUPID.

P.P.S. Ethan, not to distract from the topic at hand, absolutely stunning images!

bizarre! Thanks Sauc3. I've been busy just recently, I popped in and thought 'erm... thats not me!' Just don't get it! But thanks again!

Ethan

Hi guys

Not posted in a while, here's a few more...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eef; 12-16-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Ben Spies & Marco Simoncelli
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eef; 12-16-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Real nice eef. Could you attach these photos? They are a bit wide.

Was the Super Sic drawing started after his death to memorialize him? Do you sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Real nice eef. Could you attach these photos? They are a bit wide.

Was the Super Sic drawing started after his death to memorialize him? Do you sell?

Done! I always forget the 'Manage Attachments'!

Yes, this was done as a Tribute to Marco, hence the only colour being Red on his number and helmet. I do sell my art and I will always be happy to discuss any specific requests.

Thanks, Ethan

Exquisite work, Ethan. I'd be very pleased to display the Clark image... you have PM.

Thread Information