Thread: 1959 Alfa Romeo Gulietta Veloce Spider

1959 Alfa Romeo Gulietta Veloce Spider

Well, its not my car but I chastised the owner enough so that he threw me the keys. This 59 Alfa has been sitting in our garage since the new owner bought it at the Amelia Island Auction back in March.

He barely drives it so I was talking with him the other day about how bad it is for the car to just sit. He travels so much he said those fateful words "Why don't you drive it for me?" So he tossed me the keys.

I took it to the Katie's Coffee Saturday mornings in Great Falls VA. I got there late, around 7:15 am, had to cruise to the end of the lot but right behinds me pulled in a 58 Alfa. I learned a whole bunch about the 59 from that fellow.

It just went thru a full restoration so now that it has finally been driven, stuff has loosened up. The outside mirror done fell off on me! I retrieved it with out too much damage to it. But that was indicative of the state of the car. I tightened the valve cover to stop some seepage. Now I need to tighten up the brakes.

Over all, the car is an absolute joy to drive. Keep her around 4500 to 6500 rpms and she tools along just nice.

regards

ken
    Last edited by kvisser; 10-14-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Beautiful car. Congrats on getting to enjoy it like you do
    I see you're covered by a blanket, is it that cold where you are?

Now why do people never toss me their keys?!

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    ...of 1959 Alfa Spiders...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

bit cold

Quote Originally Posted by basman007 View Post
    Beautiful car. Congrats on getting to enjoy it like you do
    I see you're covered by a blanket, is it that cold where you are?

I'm outside of Washington Dc. That morning I got up at 5 am to roll downtown to pick up the car around 6 or so. It was a bit cold out. Ride home was perfect, 70 degrees or so.

So in other words, you've got a beautiful vintage car that somebody else is paying for. All you need to do is fuel it up and drive. And show up to car shows.

I hate you so damn much.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

correction

correction, paid for

Lot # 40 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce Spider; S/N AR1495F07600; Engine # AR131532968; Black/Red leather; Black cloth top; Estimate $85,000 - $115,000; Recent restoration, 2 condition; Hammered Sold at $90,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $99,000 – 5-speed, steel wheels, blackwall tires. Good paint, chrome and interior. Chassis undercoated over skimpy preparation. Orderly engine compartment. A soundly and accurately restored car that is done, without being overdone. 2010 Alfa Romeo Owners Club gold certificate winner. Comes with its original DCO3 carburetors, owner's manual, tool roll and jack. No Reserve. The prices these cars are bringing is close to amazing. The cars are amazing, too, but their value growth in the past few years has been rapid. This is top money, even for a meticulously and accurately restored Veloce Spider.

Wow! That is one nice Giulietta!
    You are a lucky man who gets to use this
    Be nice to her!

putting her up on a lift

I'm getting her up on a lift at a 58 Alfa owner's house. We are going to go thru the brakes and just poke around to make sure no more bits are loose. I've learned a whole bunch about this car thru that owner. Neat stuff!

Beautifull car...enjoy it, i am jealous
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

$99K!? Back in High School one of my buddies used to drive a '59 Sprint of his dad's all the time and I used to give him a hard time because it couldn't keep up with my GTV. You won't catch a GTV (without some sort of amazing history) pulling in that kind of price any time soon.

Thread Information