Thread: Piper P2

Piper P2

Piper P2

Piper was the product of the George Henrotte, who in 1966, became the owner of Campbells Garage in Kent. The logo of that garage showed a Scottish pipe player, and the name was born. For technical design work he was joined by Bob Gayler, who had worked for the Weslake company before.

Enter Brian Sherwood who started to take a vivid interest in the company and became one of the main financiers. The company started on designing 2 seater race-cars, and after a number of years the GT that had been constructed as a racing vehicle was to be further developed as as a road going sportscar. Unfortunately Sherwood was killed in a road accident in 1969 and the company did not survive and folded.

Two company employees had formed their own company and after a while restarted activities, and the GT was fully reworked although the basic shape remained the same. The Piper P2 was offered in 1971. Engine options were a 1600 or a 2000 version of the Ford Cross flow engine. Most owners choose the 1600 cc version. Some changes were also made during early production, including the legally mandatory changes to make the headlights pop-up units.
    In spite of its qualities, sales started to dwindle in 1973, certainly not helped by the 1973 economic crisis. The last chassis, nr.92 left the factory in early 1974.

Shown here is a P2 at the Zolder Historics in 2003

More info and pics to be found here.

http://www.thepiperclub.org.uk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 10-31-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

AH...thank you. I fell in love with this car when I read an article about it a couple years back in one of the 2 British major classic car mags. They did a feature on a yellow P2. Lovely car. What year is this black one from?

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    AH...thank you. I fell in love with this car when I read an article about it a couple years back in one of the 2 British major classic car mags. They did a feature on a yellow P2. Lovely car. What year is this black one from?
    don't know, I was surprised to come across one in Belgium, did not talk with the owner though.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    this car?
    Last edited by henk4; 10-31-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Guest Guest
    wow! amazing car!

this is a 1973 example, taken at Silverstone this year

a company called piper also makes light aircraft right? anybody know if they are the same?

Quote Originally Posted by chris98891
    a company called piper also makes light aircraft right? anybody know if they are the same?
    no, that is an American company, has nothing to do with this car

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    this car?
    I will have to find the article. Will let u know later today.

EDIT: got it. It was published in the May 2001 issue of Classic & Sports Cars. Page 124. It is not the same yellow Piper. It has a different hood and headlight surrounds, wheels, mirrors, as well as different plates. I don't have access to a scanner unfortunately...I will see what I can do about that tomorrow.
    Last edited by dracu777; 10-31-2005 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    no, that is an American company, has nothing to do with this car
    ah got it thanks

just look at those beauties in the background too

Piper P2 @ Petrolicious "Made To Drive"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRRNnOnwsU"]1972 Piper P2: One Man’s Legacy With A British Oddity - YouTube[/ame]

Thread Information