Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

boys wat u think is beta for drag car setups...... my view is that a twin turbo setup is beta... a smaller turbo for lower rpm boost and a bigger turbo for high range rpm.

ive heard that a single turbo is better, with nitrous adding power at lower rpm. A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system.

Originally posted by WasteG8
    ive heard that a single turbo is better, with nitrous adding power at lower rpm. A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system.
    Do you actually have any idea what you're talking about? Because it sure doesn't sound like it... Where have you "heard" this from?

ok, if ur such a pro, then whats ur thinking on the topic?

Apparently if you set two in parralell, A small on and a large one, the small one will provide low doen torue with the second one coming on line later to give you big numbers up top. Thats one theory I read. It depends on what you want. Drivability or postal, all out power.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Crisis, the sequential twin turbo set up you have mentioned is already available on many road cars, most notably the JZ80 Supra and series 6 RX7. It provides excellent drivability and good power production through the rev range. Try driving a supra in 6th on a motorway and see what I mean! In the RX7 it wasn't set up well though, and as such doesn't work properly.

For drags the fastest jap cars ALL run twin parallel turbos. The secret is the launch RPM, which is why the Skyline GTR is so popular. It can be launched at 9000 RPM with the right clutch (redlines in RH9 club cars are typically around 11500 RPM) meaning there is no need to worry about low end power delivery.

Of course it is total crap to drive the car anywhere, but very fast. I think the record for a street GTR is aound 8 seconds at the moment.

Crisis, the sequential twin turbo set up you have mentioned is already available on many road cars, most notably the JZ80 Supra and series 6 RX7. It provides excellent drivability and good power production through the rev range. Try driving a supra in 6th on a motorway and see what I mean! In the RX7 it wasn't set up well though, and as such doesn't work properly.

For drags the fastest jap cars ALL run twin parallel-not sequential-turbos. The secret is the launch RPM, which is why the Skyline GTR is so popular. It can be launched at 9000 RPM with the right clutch (redlines in RH9 club cars are typically around 11500 RPM) meaning there is no need to worry about low end power delivery.

Of course it is total crap to drive the car anywhere, but very fast. I think the record for a street GTR is aound 8 seconds at the moment.

for a drag setup single turbo is better.... if u look at most the supras well atleast hear in the us alott of the 10sec or lower supras runn single turbo setups a big ass turbo...... like nildo said when ur draggind u dont launch and 1k rpms, u launch at 5-6 k at almost full boost, with twin ur splitting ur exhaust gasses, in 2 with single ur putting all ur exhaust pressure into 1 turbo.... but if u want real power like over 1khp then u just run 2 big turbos and u can be a happy camper good info nildo
    its not speed that kills u its the sudden stop at the end

ha! c i was rite

He didn't prove your point at all... You said that a single turbo and nitrous is more reliable than a twin Turbo setup... and that's totally false.

Here's some records for you:

4WD Pro-GTR drag records (on slicks):

Class Owner Country Vehicle Type ET Trap Speed Induction
    1st HKS Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 7.671 181.98 mph HKS GT3540R (x2)
    2nd Avance Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.119 171 mph MHI TD06-25G (x2)
    3rd Target Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.331 169 mph HKS GT-3037S (x2)
    4th Garage Saurus Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.355 n/a HKS GT-3040 (x2)
    5th A'PEXi Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 8.357 n/a IHI RX6B-TCW77LS (x2)
    6th VeilSide Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.450 168 mph VeilSide GT3540 (x2)
    7th Tomei Japan Nissan Skyline R34 GTR 8.503 n/a IHI RX6B-TCW77LS (x2)
    8th Bee Racing Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 8.602 n/a HKS GT2835R (x2)
    9th RS Feast Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 8.667 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)

4WD drag records (on street tyres):

Class Owner Country Vehicle Type ET Trap Speed Induction
    1st VeilSide Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.612 172.5 mph VeilSide GT3540 (x2)
    2nd Waste Sports Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 8.916 162.32 mph HKS GT3240 (x2)
    3rd Garage Decide Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 8.933 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)
    4th Signal Auto Japan Nissan Skyline R34 GTR 8.999 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)
    5th Endless Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 9.025 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)
    6th Garage SPL Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 9.104 n/a IHI RX6B-TCW77 (x2)
    7th Endless Japan Nissan Skyline R33 GTR 9.114 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)
    8th Red Zone Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 9.122 n/a HKS GT3240 (x2)
    9th M's Factory Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 9.140 150.39 mph HKS T51R-SPL
    10th R-Make Japan Nissan Skyline R32 GTR 9.169 n/a KKK K26 (x2)

Do any of those look like twin turbo to you? Oh...wait... they all are.

yes but how many of those are sequencial turbo set ups? i guarentee u the majority of them, if not all of them, are 2 large turbos, both spooling out boost threw the rpm range.

Not a single one of those is a sequential set up. All of them are parallel. It isn't just GTRs either. Take a look at the HKS drag Supra. 2 very big HKS parallel turbos, 1500 ps and 6 secs at 194 mph. No nitrous either. I actually quite like nitrous, but they didn't use it in that car.

thats because they dont have 2, when i made the nitrous/turbo comment, it was in reference to slightly modified street cars...not full blown drag cars. Altho sequential turbos are a good idea, they dont work very well for racing applications, thats y no 1 uses them.

Originally posted by WasteG8
    thats because they dont have 2, when i made the nitrous/turbo comment, it was in reference to slightly modified street cars...not full blown drag cars. Altho sequential turbos are a good idea, they dont work very well for racing applications, thats y no 1 uses them.
    My post was regarding twin turbos. I never said a single thing about whether or not they were sequential.

So, according to you... a single turbo and nitrous oxide is more reliable on the street than twin turbos? Gee... then Nissan, Toyota, Porsche, Mazda, Dodge, Audi, Mitsubishi, Subaru, etc. must all be very disappointed. All this time they thought that twin turbos were the best way to go...

sequental twins turbos were the way to go...
    its not speed that kills u its the sudden stop at the end

Thread Information