Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercars Annual '69

Quote Originally Posted by dog ear View Post
    When smog controls were first introduced in 1968 California based vehicles often ran poorly compared to other parts of the US. California always had tougher emissions laws and the ‘clean air act’ certainly put the kibosh on many highly tuned engine combinations.

Dual four barrels were early victims. Carb calibrations were leaner as well as distributer timing. As we know, certain engine packages were not even available as the 70s wore on. I have a few road tests that were conducted in California and the testers often complained about drivability problems associated with smog equipped engines after 1968.
    Yes, just by removing the smog equipment and maybe rejetting the carb (some were tuned to the "lean" side) you could cut the 1/4 mile time by something like one-half second.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

dog, could you post a sample of your big excel database if you don't mind?

I'd like to see it and some of the data in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    dog, could you post a sample of your big excel database if you don't mind?

I'd like to see it and some of the data in it.
    I do not think that we can post excel files on this site. Correct me if I am wrong. or, tell me how?

I tried to post them in a PDF and my database is too many pages wide for easy viewing. Let me know...
    Terry

Just take a screen shot with excel open then post it here.

Kitdy; here is a sample of my truck and Ferrari section. Keep in mind that it is far from complete. I have tons of updates to do for Ferrari.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Terry

How about a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T section?

Hey Fleet, I will work on the 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T section and post it.

For the original pre-74 musclecar database I will edit out all of the speed times after 100 mph, except top speed. Most tests never included anything over 100 mph anyway. For the most part, only the European mags published those times, due to differences in driving philosophy, requirements, and needs.

On another note; I was wondering if you have the March, 1969 Car Craft magazine test on the 69 Mustang Mach 1 428 CJ?

I am posting a reference shot of the article I would like to read. I lost most of my Car Craft mags years ago. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Okay, thanks dog ear. It would be fun to see data of my favorite muscle car.

Thanks for posting that Mustang; I don't have that one. I like how they say the engine was refactored to 360 hp (much more like it; and it's probably more like 375).

Road test: 69 Grand Prix SJ 428-390 HP Bobcat
    Issue: retrospective test by the original author in a mid-80s MuscleCars magazine.

I believe that this particular test was conducted by Car & Driver in the fall of 1968, and was subsequently published in their February, 1969 issue.

In my earlier post (see #88) on this two-series test, I mentioned that the car in the first scans I posted was severely thrashed. The testers had obviously abused the car. It was in sad shape when the second testers picked it up. (First test scans: May, 1969, High Performance Cars)

Said author in this current test freely admits to street racing nightly while car was in that magazines possession.

Note that both test cars wear the same paint, and identical powertrains.

See next post for pgs #7 & #8.
    Terry

Ok, here are the last two pgs of 69 Pontiac GP SJ Bobcat article.
    Terry

Fleet, it will take some time to post the 1969 Dodge R/T figures but I thought that you might enjoy this article on a similar 1968 R/T.

August 1968, SS&DI
    1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

Sorry for the poor copy. I realize that it’s a hard read, but, it is the only copy I have on file. Nonetheless, enjoy.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Okay, thanks dog ear. It would be fun to see data of my favorite muscle car.

Thanks for posting that Mustang; I don't have that one. I like how they say the engine was refactored to 360 hp (much more like it; and it's probably more like 375).
    My 69 Mach 1 was modified very similar to the scan I posted thus my reason for wanting to obtain the article. My best times were in same ball park: 12.74 ET @ 110 mph.
    Terry

My 69 Mach 1 was modified very similar to the scan I posted thus my reason for wanting to obtain the article. My best times were in same ball park: 12.74 ET @ 110 mph.
    That is a very good time, especially for a street-legal car with no huge mods.

Certainly more power than the average person needs. Only drag and street racers could really use that much power.

Fleet, it will take some time to post the 1969 Dodge R/T figures but I thought that you might enjoy this article on a similar 1968 R/T.

August 1968, SS&DI
    1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

Sorry for the poor copy. I realize that it’s a hard read, but, it is the only copy I have on file. Nonetheless, enjoy.
    Thanks for posting that! I was able to read it okay. I like the '68 Coronet R/T, too. Almost as much as the '69; both had the same 440 engine (and 426-Hemi available).

A good 1/4 mile in that one in the test... 14.01 @ 102.58 mph. I am reminded again of a member here who said "you would be lucky to get 14.5 from a '69 Coronet R/T." It does show how Mopars were underrated in some cases!

7004 Car Craft
    70 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 Pak

Fleet, not the 1969 R/T but, a 1970 Charger is plenty cool!
    Terry

Thread Information