Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are you detailing your ride?

How are you detailing your ride?

In the past I've just washed and waxed. Recently, I've used Zymol cleaner wax. The cleaner wax works well to remove contaminants and gives a reasonable shine. Works OK, but the beading doesn't last. This is in part due to the Zymol wax I've been using isn't designed to have a hard shell. The wax too easily comes off, using a chamois to dry probably strips the wax. Does using a natural chamois have any advantages over the new synthetic chammys?

So, I was researching for a better regime, a longer lasting one. After some research I learned some new things about paint care.

I've used clay bars before but many consider it the first step as it removes contaminants from the paint. Otherwise, Polishing is the first step after a good washing. Polishing will remove contaminants and remove small scratches and swirl marks. The next step is optional, Glaze. This adds a deep luster. The final step is Waxing. A good quality Carnuba wax made of natural ingredients nourishes the paint. This type of wax is good for the paint but doesn't last very long. Synthetic waxes last a lot longer, but I'm not sure it they're good for the paint. Any thoughts about the natural vs synthetic waxes?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

i don't remember all the products i use, but i have a separate sponge for below the belt line/wheels.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The paint on my car comes off in the rain, so I don't bother washing it.

I know my dad polishes it once a month. Before polishing he washed it. After the polishing he washes it again and then polishes it again (!) with something different. I think its black(=matching the paint) turtle wax or something. He makes so much effort of it Friends call him Mr.Carwash

i go to a carwash cafe they do it for me and i have a coffee while they do it
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

I use Mer products all over. I wouldn't recommend anything else. Been using it for years and it gives the most amazing shine.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

My dad doesn't really wax the car, but when he washes them he uses Raindance. He has friends who buff the car/ wax it for him, so he's kinda lucky.

I know somebody who takes the whole weekend to wash his car. He even cleans his rims (BBS) with an electric toothbrush!
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I know my dad polishes it once a month. Before polishing he washed it. After the polishing he washes it again and then polishes it again (!) with something different. I think its black(=matching the paint) turtle wax or something. He makes so much effort of it Friends call him Mr.Carwash
    sounds just like my dad! every saturday morning!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i don't remember all the products i use, but i have a separate sponge for below the belt line/wheels.
    Yes, I do this! Do you wax the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    The paint on my car comes off in the rain, so I don't bother washing it.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'm guessing he washes after polishing to remove abrasives. That's a lot to do in one day. A great workout...wax on, wax off

Quote Originally Posted by acemotorsport
    i go to a carwash cafe they do it for me and i have a coffee while they do it
    ...And you consider yourself an enthusiast. Bond with your car, wash it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    I use Mer products all over. I wouldn't recommend anything else. Been using it for years and it gives the most amazing shine.
    Cool, I'll search for it on the web as it's not a brand that readily available here. Another product that seems really good but is only available online is Menzerna.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    My dad doesn't really wax the car, but when he washes them he uses Raindance. He has friends who buff the car/ wax it for him, so he's kinda lucky.
    I wish I had "friends" who'd wax and buff my car.

Friends? "Hey Phil what are you doing this Saturday? Com'n over and see if you can do better job waxing than that accounting guy, you want that bonus don't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I know somebody who takes the whole weekend to wash his car. He even cleans his rims (BBS) with an electric toothbrush!
    My brother is anal like that, he'll remove the wheel and clean if from the inside.

Does anyone have experience with Menzerna products?

http://www.topoftheline.com/menzerna-car-care.html

I don't know which one he uses, but I think he uses just the car wash.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Car%20Ca...d=Rain%20Dance

My dad's a mechanic, so he's bound to know lots of friends.

BTW, I don't know why, but I love the smell of Rain Dance.

I use mainly Meguiars products, and I've particularly taken to NXT polish. I wash the car normally, use NXT polish, Mother's Back to Black on all balck trim, Turtle Wax chrome polish on the chrome, regular glass cleaner (whatever I have at the house) but I want to start using invisible glass, the one in the aerosol can, Meguiars NXT vinyl/rubber cleaner on tires and interior, and soap/water and elbow grease on wheels. NXT will bring incredible depth to a darker car. The beading lasts forever. I used NXT on my car almost three months ago and it still beads and has depth, and my car is parked outside and driven daily, and has a badly faded hood and roof. I'm picking up a clay bar for my other car this week, I've never used one before. Here's the daily driver after a detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    ...And you consider yourself an enthusiast. Bond with your car, wash it!!
    we got very strict water laws here thats why i dont do it i wa my car sometimes when im not to lazy
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacklind
    ... Here's the daily driver after a detailing.

Very nicely kept W123.

Meguiars NXT series of products seems appealing, especially since it's so readily available.

Thread Information