Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post your personal car history

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Split with mom and/or uncle and aunt I think.
    Mother.

A 2005 Mini Cooper S and 2007 BMW 118d. I shared the costs and used whenever I wanted them, but they weren't really mine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I have not owned too many cars in 31 years of driving because I like usually like to keep cars a long time. Here is "the list" in the order bought and mileage when bought:

1966 Dodge Dart GT V-8, 109,000 miles
    1979-2002 (Photo #1)

1971 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 58,000 miles
    1995-2002 (Photo #2)

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, 59,474 miles
    1999-present (Photo #3)

1970 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, 89,000 miles
    2004-2006 (Photo #4)

1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 89,000 miles
    2004-present (Photo #5)

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 109,000 miles
    2006-present (Photo upcoming)

1966 Plymouth Fury VIP (383-4 bbl), 89,000 miles
    2009-present (Photo upcoming)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 109,000 miles
    2006-present (Photo upcoming)

1966 Plymouth Fury VIP (383-4 bbl), 89,000 miles
    2009-present (Photo upcoming)
    Here are photos of my two most recently-bought cars...

Cool, thanks for your contribution! You can put my 2 current cars into the trunk of your Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Cool, thanks for your contribution! You can put my 2 current cars into the trunk of your Plymouth
    Yeah, it does have a quite large trunk. A 10- or 12-speed bicycle can fit without having to take off any of the tires.

Here are some photos to illustrate...

Always great to see long-term ownership, Fleet. I love the Dart, not seen often anymore... are any of your collection working cars?
    I mean, do you rent out the limo's?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Always great to see long-term ownership, Fleet. I love the Dart, not seen often anymore...
    Yes, it would be fun to buy another '66 Dart for nostalgic reasons. That is one reason I bought the '66 Plymouth (one of my brothers owned one for 22 years).

are any of your collection working cars?
    No, all are for private use.

I mean, do you rent out the limo's?
    No, I want to keep the miles down on it. It is at about 98,500 now. Also, the insurance rates on it would go way up if it was rented out. I haven't even driven the limo since Feb. 6.

1995 Fiat Cinquecento SX in Midnight Blue
    Originally my sister's car, it had been lowered and had 17" alloys on it, which meant the tyres kept rubbing against the wheel arches, as well as a stupid Bose stereo system in the boot. It had 205,000 miles when I got and had about 249,000 miles a year later when the gearbox suddenly caved in and died. Owned March 2003 to December 2003.

1993 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo
    My first real tuning project, I got it dirt cheap because it had been involved in a head-on collision and needed a new front end. So my first job was to replace the wrecked bodywork... with a horribly vulgar bodykit. On top of that was an enormous wing, lowering kit and a taillight swap with the taillights from a '97 GTO. If I remember rightly, the only engine modifications were an exhaust, a new air filter, a remapped ECU and a strut brace. Looking back, I realise how extremely riced out it was, and I hope I never speak of it again. Owned December 2003 to May 2004.

1997 BMW M3 Evolution Convertible in Metallic Emerald Green
    After the GTO, I decided to stay away from modifying my own cars, and simply help modify friend's cars instead. So I chose a rather sensible M3 Evo Convertible in green with 101,000 miles on the clock. And it lasted me a good 3-and-a-bit years. Not much else to say about it really. Sold it for more than what I paid for it. Owned from May 2004 to January 2008.

1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec in Yellow
    This became my big project, and something I still own and work to this day. Making sure I didn't make the same mistake as my GTO, I worked on the performance, and the performance only, until June 2009 when I fitted a JDM C-West bodykit. It currently has about 505 HP and is a real weapon out on both the track and the drag strip. Does the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds. Owned from January 2008 to now.

2009 MG TF LE500 in Vibrant Orange
    After nearly a year of using my Skyline as a daily driver, I wanted it to be more of a race machine than my personal cruiser. That's when I started looking for a sensible daily commuter car, yet I still wanted it to be sporty and interesting. I came across a PT Cruiser Convertible (yes, really) and very nearly bought it, until the dealer moved me towards one of the brand new MG TF LE500's, which had just arrived. I test drove it, and fell in love. Bought it the same day. And the novelty still hasn't worn off. Owned April 2009 to now.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLuke64DD View Post
    1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec in Yellow
    This became my big project, and something I still own and work to this day. Making sure I didn't make the same mistake as my GTO, I worked on the performance, and the performance only, until June 2009 when I fitted a JDM C-West bodykit. It currently has about 505 HP and is a real weapon out on both the track and the drag strip. Does the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds. Owned from January 2008 to now.
    Sweet... post pix to the Users Rides thread please. Don't forget the EggNogg.
    (your UCP handle written on a piece of paper slipped over the shifter as ID)
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

KiwiTT's Galant Story - 4 Galants in all

I was a late starter, regarding driving. Getting my licence at 25/26.

1978 Galant GSL
    (bought 1988 - 10 years old)
    (sold 1994 - 6 years ownership)

I started looking for our first car. I really liked the look of the 1980's Toyota Corolla T-18 Coupe. Couldn't really find a decent one. A colleague of mine showed me a bright orange 1978 Galant GSL. Wasn't sure about the colour, but it was nice to drive. Rear-wheel drive and automatic. We then bought this car for $7,000 in 1988.

It was so clean, and sharp for an old car, no scratches on the paintwork, but the tyres were mismatched. I changed the original 165s for 185/70 tyres. These were wider then the originals and made the car feel much better. I even detailed the Dunlop lettering in white paint as the "goodrich" tyres to give it a more racy look. We had this car still, when we got married in 1990 and then transferred to Wellington for a promotion. Still loved the car and drove it up and down to Auckland to see family 3-4 times a year, stopping in Taupo for a break. (The Motels there had in-room mineral spas, great to relax the the tired bones). Did this for at least 4 years. In that time I had replaced the shocks (Made minimal difference in the handling).

It was not really that fast. Up hill it could only manage 80kph (50mph) foot flat to the floor getting out of Wellington. However it could cruise quite nicely at 100kph, but would really be working hard at 120kph.

We still had this car, when we returned to Auckland. I got a job that required 120km per day commute, so I knew it would not last, oil use etc. Sold it to a collegue at my new job, who didn't need to drive so far and it was their first car for $3,000 in 1994.

I decided I wanted a Turbo Fuel injected 4WD car. Looked at a Subaru Leone Sedan with the above. Boy could it move. However, in pre-inspection it had oil leaks. They attempted to repair this, but a second check it was still there. Decided, too much trouble and looked around a bit more

Postscript: I saw my old Orange Galant broken down along the road I used to commute. : (

De-registered: 1997 - 230,000km

1987 Galant Sigma 2-litre Super Saloon
    (Bought 1994 - 7 years old)
    (Sold 1996 - 2.5 years ownership)

I started looking around for a replacement. Saw a Subaru Leone with 4WD and Turbo. However, it was leaking oil badly. Twice to the AA for checks and twice it leaked. So passed on that one.

Saw this car at my local dealership. This car looked like a "Blue shark" and was very sharp looking. Bought it for $10,000. It already had 140,000km on the clock, but is was newer and well serviced it should last the long commute, I thought.

It did handle well and could really cruise at 1800-2000 rpm gave 100 to 110kph, which made it really economical. (my next car required 2800-3000rpm for the same speed)

I improved the breathing of this carburated motor, by removing the plastic air intact extension that was connected to the left front fender and pointing the air tube forwards. This made the cold air go straight in to the air filter box. May have increased the hp by 10%. It really went fast.

It was however not so good in the corners. I fixed this in 2 ways. The original 185/70 with 195/60 and Gas Shocks (Monroe GTs). This allowed me to go round some sweeping corners at 160kph. (However, at that speed, I still got overtaken by a Holden V8 1-tonne ute and a collegues 1990 VR-4)

I had a real bit of luck on this one. The transmission died, so got it replaced and paid for it on VISA and never got the bill

I noticed rust forming around on the rear windscreen and looking at a $2,000 repair job for that and other bits. On a $3,000 car, I didn't think It was worthwhile.

Got another job in 1996 less commuting. Time to sell the "Blue Shark".

De-registered: 2001 - 318,000km

Traded it in for $3,000 on a ....

1990 Galant 2.0 DOHC GTi-16v
    (Bought 1996 - 6 years old)
    (Sold 2003 - 7 years ownership)

I was going past our local dealer for 4 weeks and this car was standing out bright and silver at the front of the lot. There were newer 7G galants, but this 6G model really stood out. I eventually decided I had to have it. It was fully optioned, with Climate Air-conditioning, power mirrors, power locking, etc. etc. (it even had a lighted vanity mirror for the passenger and 4 interior spot lights)

Bought this for $13,000. Wow what a fast car. However, it was not as solid as the old blue shark; It felt taller, higher and less sure footed in the corners. I fixed this with 195/60 to 205/55 tyres and new Gas-shocks (Bilstein). What a transformation. I really loved it after that. It could really handle well. I continued to maintain this well, with a new computer under warranty.

Showing off to a friend, I hit 160kph over the "Newmarket Viaduct" and went off the off-ramp at 140kph and let the 4 wheel discs slow it down. What stopping power.

I went to see "Star Wars: Episode 1" with work collegues and returned to where I parked the car. It was gone, stolen. DAMN !!!!! Called the cops, and reported it stolen. I had to drive a insurance "loner", 2000 Hyundai Accent in the interim (What a dog, a 10 year newer car and it felt like junk.) They eventually found my car, it had been (ab)used in a robbery. They had ruined the gearbox. This was repaired under insurance.

I got another 3 years out of it, before I got the VR-4.

Postscript 1: (2004) I sold this car to my Father-in-law, who has recently cruised at 145kph and was getting strange looks from other car drivers. He's over 70. Well done. I'm glad it went to a good home.

Postscript 2: (2007) This car was involved in accident and was deemed a write-off. A sad day indeed. My father in-law passed away, so making it a really tough year.

De-registered: 2007 - 172,000 km

1996 Galant VR-4 Type S
    (Bought 2003 - 7 Years old)
    (Nearly 8 years ownership so far)

I saw this model ages ago and thought, what a technical marvel. 4WD, Twin-Turbo, Ralliart-tuned, AYC from the EVO series, etc. etc. At $65,000, I thought this was well out of my reach, At least I can dream.

Had an opportunity to test drive a 8G VR-4 in April. It was Black, 17" Gold alloys, sunroof, etc. etc. It felt really fast, but at the sametime safe. I had it overnight. It was on special for $22,000. With warranty and alarms it was going to cost $25,000. However, for one thing or another things happened and we didn't go through with it.

As other Galant VR-4s were also selling for $25,000 and thinking I can't buy one at that price, started looking at other cars. Considered a "Nissan 200SX", "Ford Probe" and then settled on a FTO. I decided to research this car and found out that MiVec version is the one to have. My local dealer said he had found one for $15,000 and I was really considering it . My wife said to me. "if you get this car are you going to really happy or are you going to say in 2-3 years that I want will want a more executive-looking car."

I decided to look again on the web when I spotted the VR-4 on the web for $16,995. What a bargain, no more looking at a FTO. Get the Dealers website up saw it there for $18,995. Hmmm $2,000 off, suppose I better see it in the flesh. Wow, at the lot the sticker price was $15,995 another $1,000 cheaper. Is there something wrong with it I ask. No says the dealer, he's got new stock arriving soon so needed some space, so put a few cars on special. What a bargain I thought, better get serious on negotiation. CASH buyer and all that. Ended up getting it for $14,995 + cost of warranty and car alarm.

What a brilliant car. Was concerned about fuel economy, but my brother said, think of the power and you will understand the fuel usage. He was right and I never thought of that aspect again.

I drove it once at 140kph passing a BMW 3 series,Lexus IS200 and a new Falcon around a sweeping uphill curve. And it did not stop accelerating. It felt locked on to the road. Not like my original 1978 Galant GSL (reaching only 80kph uphill - Flatout). The Galant has come a long way and the 8G VR-4 is the epitome of the Marque and Model.

Found the "Club VR4" website and thought wow this is a great site, with lots of similar thinking people, not the usual boy racer crowd, more mature . Started posting questions and reading others, learnt lots and keeping learning lots.

Decided I needed a Full "D" service as I was not sure about the history after reading other posts about service. This cost me $2,000, but it was well worth it for the peace of mind it gave.

I plan to keep this car for 10 years or more. I finally got my I (Twin)Turbo - Fuel Injected - 4WD Car, I originally desired. I now have my Dream Car.

Postscript 1: (2007) Damn I smashed it with $7,500 worth of damage. Thankfully I had insurance. Did flirt with the idea of replacing it with a Lancer VR-X. The new Lancer looks good, but it is not a VR-4

Postscript 2: (2008) Upgraded the JVC stereo and the Alloys to 18". (will probably use the old 17" for trackdays later )

Postscript 3: (2009) Maintenance costs are starting to rise, and next year will be bad
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

The VR-4 - Personal Comparison

I am not sure how many people think the same way I do about the VR-4, but I am getting bored reading car magazines describing the benefits of this performance car or that. I have just finished reading NZ Autocar May and June 2007 editions. In May, it had a comparison of 1999 BMW 328i Coupe vs 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, and in June, it had a review of the A5/S5. After reading these two articles, I was left with the impression of how good the VR-4 is.

The BMW article, finished with a comment of how simpler the older car was to the newer one and therefore somewhat better and therefore preferred, even though it was not as fast or refined. The comment can apply equally to the VR-4. The A5/S5 article was talking about the various technical features, the ability to move more torque to the rear, which the VR-4 has a passive form of, a future Porsche designed transmission in a later model, which the VR-4 has, and of course 4WD. I can't help but be left with the impression that the VR-4 is such a good car even today.

The VR-4 Type-S model, which is the top of the range model (excluding the Super VR-4 special) has so many items that are still being talked about as advanced features or options on new cars. These include;

Active-Stability-Control (ASC), which is now known is electronic stability control and comes into play only when needed
    Active-Yaw-Control (AYC) (members-only), which allows the car to take corners a lot faster than normal cars

This is in addition to four-wheel-drive (4WD), traction-control (TC), anti-lock-braking system (ABS) and a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission (members only), that really works. In addition, my personal car has the Ralliart Suspension Option, 17" alloys and Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres, transforms the car's handling to a new level.

While the VR-4 may not have the power of some of the newer performance cars, some members have seen fit to remedy this situation, to truly make the VR-4 as relevant today as it was when it was first released. After owning the car for nearly four years and almost losing it recently in an accident (since restored - see mine in members cars), I am even more convinced it is the car I want to own for as long as I can. And yes, I will still keep reading about performance cars in Auto Magazines, convinced in the knowledge that the VR-4 is still a great "Sports Saloon" even if it is over 10 years old.

Here are some comments from some reviews (available in the full members section) of this great car.

"Putting the power down cleanly is a four-wheel drive system that splits the torque 50:50 between the front and rear axles in normal driving, and then varying the ratio according to whichever end of the car needs it most.

Behind the wheel however, the drive feels a little rear-biased, which better suits sporty driving anyway. There's more traction than even the engine can defeat, and if you manage to get wheelspin in the Galant, it probably means you're on top of an oily patch.
    " - Galant Warrior

"If the Evolution were a small nimble race-bred sprint horse, the Galant VR-4 ... would be a tall muscular stallion, ..." - High Performance Imports

"In terms of performance, the VR4 rivals strongly with its direct competitors such as Legacy RSK and Skyline 25GT, if not the more expensive Audi S4 and BMW M3. " - AutoZine

"Yes, as Star Trek's Spock would most probably have said, when describing the Mitsubishi Galant VR4: "It's an estate car, Jim, but not as we know it." - Top Gear

"Now we've driven a Galant that eclipses all others, the stupendous permanent four-wheel drive, twin turbocharged V6-powered VR4. It has the same handsome, wedgy, BMW-influenced lines, but adds a purposeful deep chin spoiler, subtle side skirts and a chunky rear wing." - Autopoint

"It’s the innocuous sounding Galant VR4. Which in reality is about as innocuous as a hand grenade. On any road you care to choose, it would take an Audi S4 apart more swiftly than Mr. Creosote eating a lobster. And a BMW M3. A tussle with an Impreza Turbo would be interesting, but it’s by no means certain that the Subaru would win. Did I mention that the Galant is an automatic?" - AutoCar

"On the road, though, it’s the Galant that really shines. The weighty feel to the steering and armfuls of feedback from both helm and chassis encourage you to press on as soon as the traffic frees up. Any thoughts of the auto-box hampering progress are dismissed the first time you ask it to kick down. On only a couple of occasions did it need time to think before selecting the appropriate gear. Otherwise it delivers smooth, effortless and unobtrusive changes whenever your right foot demands." - EVO Magazine
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Since I am 23, my car history is brief, in fact, only 1 deep. Hopefully I'll land a permanent job soon and be able to save up and buy something else and get an actual history going. This is the only picture I was able to dig up since I'm at work. It's my old friend Ryan posing next to it, circa 2005.

2005 Scion xB
    2004-Present

Got it new and been driving it ever since. Only 65k and some change miles on it.

There were 8 cars in my car life

This is my car history. One of the cars is my dream car but I guess it's easy to spot it.

I need to add one more car to my page and that is the Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0.
    BMW forever

Car 3 - 1985 BMW 323i - Car 2 begining to die, Shuffled it along before major damage to my wallet occured.

Car 3 8 days after purchase.
    [/QUOTE]

how did you mannage that?

T boned by a girl talking on her phone whilst driving..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information