Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morgan AeroMax 2008-2009

Morgan AeroMax 2008-2009

The Morgan Aeromax
    March 1 2005

The Morgan Aeromax is a unique Morgan commissioned by Prince Eric I. Sturdza, President of Banque Baring Brothers Suisse.

Based on the requirement for a comfortable long distance Touring Coupe, drawings by Matthew Humphries were discussed with the customer to define the total concept. Particluar requirements such as the gullwing" boot openings, hardwood and traditional pleated leather interior and a large flat load area behind the seats were particular requirements.

Matthew Humphries created a quarter scale clay model at the University of Coventry Automotive Design School. The model was required to harmonise with the Morgan Aero Eight chassis and incorporated the exterior elements of the car that were not to be specially tooled. The model was digitised and a file created on CATIA software to define the surface shape and boundaries of the metal and glass panels. Using data from the computer file simple jigs were constructed to build the ash skeleton, alloy sheet metal panels and toughened glass panels.

Brightwork features such as the door handles and the door mirrors were created by hand to unique sculptural designs. The split rear window allows easy access from either side to the custom built luggage commissioned from Schedoni of Italy. A substantial chassis beam protects heavy items from moving forwards into the cockpit.

The car is an illustration of flexible manufacturing at the Morgan Motor Company. Modern automotive technology is combined with quality craftsmanship. The beautiful finish of the bodywork is the result of the craftsmen's passion at Morgan.

The aluminium chassis has safety features which have surpassed the industry standards of the vehicle certification authorities of Europe and the USA during the approval process. Siemens electronic airbag systems protect the occupants and sensors are built into each wheel bearing to relay tyre contact information to the engine ECU and the ABS electronic brake control units. The car has reassuring driver features such as air conditioning, tyre pressure and tyre temperature monitoring and cruise control. Even with these features the chassis is the lightest V8 production platform in the world.

Charles Morgan commented, "The Morgan Aeromax demonstrates the wealth of talent in our small yet dedicated motor works. It took just 4 months from a sketch to being able to test drive a real finished car. The car is a showcase of the coachbuilding and technical skills of the whole team."

The ash frame is laminated for extra strength. This gives the potential for energy absorption in the cockpit and also ensures durability and safety. It is incidentally beautiful and each of the three backbones of the skeleton of the frame has nine laminates of wood visible from the inside of the car. The wood above the dashboard and doors is carved to display age and grain.

The light alloy bodywork has been hand formed from high quality alloy sheet.Each coachline is finely defined in metal. The car is powered by the latest version of BMW's N62 V8 which, with its combination of performance economy and modest emissions, perfectly compliments the design of the car.

The exhaust exits through the car wings and adds character to the V8 tone. The low unladen weight makes the Morgan Aeromax Coupe one of the fastest accelerating sports cars in Europe.

Technical Specification

Engine
    V8 4398 cc
    Power KW (Bhp) 245 (333) @ 6100 rpm
    Torque Nm (lb/ft) 450 (331) @ 3600 rpm
    4 variable timing camshafts chain driven
    32 valves

Transmission
    6 speed ZF manual gearbox
    Hydraulic limited slip differential
    DTCDrag Torque Control (deceleration anti lock)

Brakes
    Electronic ABS with EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution)
    Front; 6 pot AP Racing callipers 348mm vented discs
    Rear; Twin pot AP Racing callipers 332mm vented discs
    Separate rear handbrake calliper

Wheels
    20” 3 piece split rim
    BF Goodrich 245/30 20”

Performance
    0 – 100Km 4.5 secs
    Maximum speed – over 260 Kmh (160 mph)

Fuel consumption
    Combined10.9 l/100km (25.9 mpg)
    Urban16.3 l/100km (17.3 mpg)
    Extra Urban7.9 l/100 km (35.75 mpg)
    Co2 : 264 g/km
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Morgan Aeromax #2

Morgan Aeromax #3

Morgan Aeromax #4

the design is "particuliar" , classic and modern

It's one of the most stunning designs I've seen in a long time.

Yet another Coventry University success.

Id love to slide down the back of it, and on the front wings, that looks rather fun.

wowee thats the sex

p.s im going to coventry university by the way

Hey, its not completely cross-eyed. Nor is it even ugly. I like it, and I like most all Morgans, I hope they make it in the US.

This is a one-off commissioned work for an individual. The only reason they are releasing information on it at all is in order to advertise the fact that they do custom work for (very wealthy) customers.

wow that is one gorgeous car. all the curves are perfect. no superlative is to much for good this car looks

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    Yet another Coventry University success.
    They only used the facilities for building models and rapid prototyping in the new Bugatti Building, which we aren't allowed in.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    This is a one-off commissioned work for an individual. The only reason they are releasing information on it at all is in order to advertise the fact that they do custom work for (very wealthy) customers.
    Lets see, how much spare change do I have around the house?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

it's pretty cool but I have to say I like the Aero 8 more, the back on this car does'nt look that good...
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Ooo that's nice, plus its got 3 windshield wipers, that way you know you're getting your moneys worth
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

Thread Information