Thread: Modern sports cars Carrera Panamericana

Modern sports cars Carrera Panamericana

I've heard that this years (2006) La Carrera Panamericana will include 20 places for modern sports cars, can you confirm this?
    Last edited by foolthrottle; 04-08-2006 at 01:52 PM.

I have no idea I'm afraid. I found the official site here - http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx - but couldn't get the English version of the site to work.

With my limited grasp of Spanish I couldn't find any info on there but there may be something I've missed. Where did you hear the rumour from in the first place?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Nothing in the Categories in the regs allows modern cars.
    ( You get good at reading regs in all languages after a while )

It's possible they are allowing a "dmoenstration entry" in the same way the slowly sideways do some WRC events -- they dont' compete, they dont' score, they run at the end, not included in teh regs !
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yes but the regs on the website were for the 2005 race, not 2006. My Spanish might not be the best, but I can still read numbers.

They may have changed the rules for '06. Just speculation of course.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

ah well spotted !!!

Yeah the page heading say 2006, the link says regulations and the man is right .... it's the 2005 regs.
    Stupid
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I also heard that they are going to have two or three F1 cars trucked to the speed stages, could that be true?????

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I have no idea I'm afraid. I found the official site here - http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx - but couldn't get the English version of the site to work.

With my limited grasp of Spanish I couldn't find any info on there but there may be something I've missed. Where did you hear the rumour from in the first place?

I got the story from another vintage racer, he claims he heard they are adding 20 places for modern sports/super cars and 2 or 3 F1 cars will be trucked to the speed stages. I asked the american organizer what cars would be allowed and he did'nt know, but confirmed the story. That of course would add several degrees of crazy to an already insane race. I can't believe an F1 car could survive a mexican road.

All I found about F1 involvment in spanish "speaking" media is that Gil de Ferran, Rubens Barichello and Mario Dominguez had been there checking the roads to evaluate their participation in 2006.

Although they incorrectly labeled "F1 Drivers to participate...", they mentioned nothing about F1 cars to be used for the speed sections. I would dismiss that rumor on the fact that no current F1 team will allow top speed running on an open road and very, very few vintage F1 owners will be up for this kind of event. If we were talking about those crazy peope that do hill climbs in europe that would be different.

About the 20 modern slots, all I found is that 20 mexican highway patrol cars will join the racers for security purposes.

English website here:

http://www.panamrace.com/
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    All I found about F1 involvment in spanish "speaking" media is that Gil de Ferran, Rubens Barichello and Mario Dominguez had been there checking the roads to evaluate their participation in 2006.

Although they incorrectly labeled "F1 Drivers to participate...", they mentioned nothing about F1 cars to be used for the speed sections. I would dismiss that rumor on the fact that no current F1 team will allow top speed running on an open road and very, very few vintage F1 owners will be up for this kind of event. If we were talking about those crazy peope that do hill climbs in europe that would be different.

About the 20 modern slots, all I found is that 20 mexican highway patrol cars will join the racers for security purposes.

English website here:

The way I got it was the 20 car group was being organized by Kevin Ward (overall winner 1995 LCP) and the group would include at least one Enzo. as for vintage formula 1 cars several are owned by Carrera racers, a couple of years ago I was contacted by one(Doug Mockett winner LCP) wanting info on the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, and a plan to run an ex F1 car there.

Quote Originally Posted by magracer

English website h

http://theunlimitedclass.com/html/about.html

There are so many people that have suitable cars in California and Texas that there could be a land slide of applications! I'm guessing they are going to get applications for at least three or four times the 20 slots assigned.

Good to see that they have followed suit with rallyes suchs as Targa Tasmania and Targa Newfound Land. Not that I'm saying the oldies were slow, but having modern cars makes it very much attractive for the general public.

Edit: At $14.000 it not cheap, although there is a $50.000 prize for 1st place.
    Last edited by magracer; 04-11-2006 at 07:54 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

Thread Information