Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matra 530 1967-1973

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    but it finished the race, proudly sporting race number 1
    You took that photo soley so you could use it on me one day didnt you?!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    You took that photo soley so you could use it on me one day didnt you?!
    I know how to please you don't I?

PS mind the helmets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I know how to please you don't I?

PS mind the helmets
    Im in two minds. Firstly I would regard the helmets as excess weight given the 8kw this beast has on offer BUT, given the structural integrity (got that off Star Trek ) of the roof and the inherent stability I suppose they have made the right call.

Im in two minds. Firstly I would regard the helmets as excess weight given the 8kw this beast has on offer BUT, given the structural integrity (got that off Star Trek ) of the roof and the inherent stability I suppose they have made the right call.
    stability was the big trick of this model, you could easily take corners at excessive speed (all is relative ), and lift the inner rear wheel, but you only had a remote chance to topple over when you decided to brake firmly. (and believe me I have tried it)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

stability was the big trick of this model, you could easily take corners at excessive speed (all is relative ), and lift the inner rear wheel, but you only had a remote chance to topple over when you decided to brake firmly. (and believe me I have tried it)
    I hear you. And I bet excessive speed for that thing was a two pronged sword. I didnt have any until you tried to corner.

I hear you. And I bet excessive speed for that thing was a two pronged sword. I didnt have any until you tried to corner.
    doing a 90 degree with 50 or 60 is excessive in many cars, and this version was capable of at least 90 in a straight line

Hehe my friend used to own one of these. A summer car indeed with the peelable roof and all :P One detail that I remember was the simplicity of the "air conditioning" ( ) You just open up the front panel and there's a net protecting you from having bugs all over your face. Suicidal bugs that is, since they'd have all the time in the world to fly away when they hear/see you coming...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

The M530 was a car aimed at the young buyer in France.
    So the styling is a little "avant garde" and it was built down to a price, so some of the construction wasn't the best - as noted especially the frog-eyed lights they added to later models ( the SX )
    It is one of those few cars which when you first see you are sure it is the ugliest thing you could ever imagine and after seeing a few it "grows on you" Still not the prettiest tho'
    It was comeptition to the Porsche 914, Alpine A110 and Opel GT. If you look at it against those some of the styling cues are clear It was also cheaper, comparable performance and UNIQUELY was actually a 2+2 !!!!! ( well 2 + 2 halves )
    With about 9,000 sold it was reasonably successful for a low volume maker in the 60s
    More info at http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/M530/history.html

To confirm the "quirkiness" French artist Sonia Delauney provided a "special" version whci can still be seen at car shows.

PS: The lights were STILL a problem on Bagheera's. It is common to see an owner jump out of their car and PULL the lights fully open before driving off They used manifold pressure to operate the mechanism and stored the vacuum in the chassis - whcih inevitably leaked !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

No offense... but.. it looks like someone stumbled into the drawing board...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    No offense... but.. it looks like someone stumbled into the drawing board...
    There was also a less "avant garde" version for conservative minded (it appears that most of the UCPers fall in that category )

Built by Vignale.

Sorry about the image quality

and the "Laser" version
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Here is a frog-eyed version, the SX

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The M530 was..... and UNIQUELY was actually a 2+2 !!!!! ( well 2 + 2 halves )
    Hehee, a bit of wishful thinking there....

That picture makes it look worse that it is.

It's still not full comfortable adult sized 2+2 but very few of them are - or they'd be called 4 seaters

Not hi-res, so attached. matt will likely delete it later (slap my own wrists) gives a slightly more realistic view of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's still not full comfortable adult sized 2+2 but very few of them are.
    Well, "not fully comfortable" is spot on description

Nice pic, but that's not sitting down is it
    Actualy, I had a dig through the Matra images archive and even a few on-line sites dedicated to the marque and NOBODY has a pic of anyone sitting in the back.

I'll get the M530 fanatic ( he had 5 at the last count ) to get some pics of him and family in it

It's actually better than another 2+2 from then - the Elan !! ( and that was even WITH the mid engine in the M530 )

Thread Information