Thread: Jordan confirm 1 year Toyota deal

Jordan confirm 1 year Toyota deal

JORDAN CLINCH TOYOTA DEAL
    Last Updated: Monday, 15, November, 2004, 10:42

Jordan will use Toyota engines in 2005, the team has confirmed.

The one-year deal means that Jordan will use exactly the same RVX-05 power unit as the works Toyota team.

Eddie Jordan said: "Toyota are to be commended. Not only have they been fantastic to Jordan by agreeing this deal at such short notice, but they have also done the magnanimous thing for the sport by putting Formula 1 above their own exclusivity.

“A supply of Toyota engines is an enormous boost for Jordan and I am very excited about putting together our 2005 package in the coming weeks and months.

“This announcement, along with others coming shortly, will revive the fortunes of Jordan Grand Prix and at the same time I hope we can help Toyota in the battle for world championship honours."

Toyota boss Tsutomu Tomita said the deal had been facilitiated by the new 2005 engine regulations, which specify that power units must last for two race weekends.

He said: "The decision to supply Jordan Grand Prix with engines was only taken in recent weeks once engine regulations for 2005 were confirmed.

"The move to a two-race engine and the recent planned reduction of testing for next year have also contributed considerably to making this deal possible.

"The last-minute nature of this agreement will offer us a real challenge for the upcoming season, but it is one which we are happy to take on.

"We are pleased to be able to offer our services to help another team, given the difficulties that Formula 1 is currently facing, particularly with engine supply. I sincerely hope that the Toyota RVX-05 engine will be a substantial asset to the Jordan team in the coming season."

Toyota have confirmed that their name will not appear on the car, meaning that Jordan are likely to rebadge the engines, in much the same way as Sauber's Ferrari engines are branded Petronas.
    I am the Stig

FIA's wisdom to introduce the two race rule has saved another team from going under.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i think alot of people have been saying though that the extra development needed to make the engine last reliably and be competitive will seperate the top teams further from the rest.....but 10 teams running 2 cars each is much better than 2 teams each running a car not capable of scoring points IMO, i think Bernie has stated his opinion being the opposite earlier in the year
    I am the Stig

Hopefully Jordan can produce a decent chassis and mixed with a Toyota engine, which is supposed to be a strong engine, they may do well next year. Of course the engines are based on a completely new formula next year and we won't fin out if Toyota continues to make solid engines until the start of the championship.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

well i guess at least theyve got the money to make something that should hold together and have performance
    I am the Stig

Thread Information