Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renault faces probe after the suicides of three of its employees

Renault faces probe after the suicides of three of its employees

Feb. 22, 2007 -- French authorities are investigating working conditions at automaker Renault following the suicide of three employees in four months at one of its state-of-the-art plants in the Paris region. Raymond D., 38, hung himself in his home in the town of Saint-Cyr-l'Ecole west of Paris on Feb. 16 after leaving a note in which he complained of problems at work.

Investigators in Versailles have opened a criminal investigation into work conditions at the ultra-modern Technocenter in Guyancourt, outside Paris where the three employees worked, a judicial source said Feb. 20.

They intend to look into possible offenses such as harassment that may be linked to the death, said the prosecutor's office in Versailles. It was the third suicide in four months at the Renault plant and all three employees worked in the main building of the complex known as "The Beehive" where new car designs are developed.

Renault management said the latest death "has left us with many questions and each one of us must reflect on our share of responsibility."

Three weeks earlier, plant employees had held a silent march in memory of two colleagues who had committed suicide in October and January in Guyancourt. One of the employees threw himself from the fifth floor of a building at the plant and another drowned in a nearby pond after leaving on his computer screen an account of a bitter exchange with management, said union official Jean Hotebourg.

Hotebourg accused management of "harassing" the employees, saying they had been humiliated when their boss criticized them in front of colleagues. Renault said in a statement that "there was no correlation for the time being between work conditions" and the three suicides. "We have impassioned engineers who conceive vehicles and it is very difficult to draw a link between the workload and the Renault contracts for 2009," said a management statement.
    http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArti...rticleID=13641

My mother works at Renault. I Hope she won't commit suicide, it would be quite annoying...

Uncle Carlos seems to be a bit demanding
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Uncle Carlos seems to be a bit demanding
    Well they certainly are losing sales at an alarming rate...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well they certainly are losing sales at an alarming rate...
    I have seen the new Twingo
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have seen the new Twingo
    And then the new 500 and you have realised their problem...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's really rather worrying. Renault obviously need their working conditions thoroughly reworked- bullying and harassment should really not be bad enough to allow for suicides. Unless everyone else has just kept theirs very, very quiet...

Pretty old article, over a month old now.. Interesting never-the-less..
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Certainly is suspicious. Then again, the suicides could be completely unrelated. However, I haven't read the article, so I can't comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    However, I haven't read the article, so I can't comment on that.
    It's not that long? Whats the point of just reading the title and commenting then?
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Alright, I did. Looks related to harassment. Hope they fix the problem soon. These events could give Renault a bad image and make it even worse for their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    My mother works at Renault. I Hope she won't commit suicide, it would be quite annoying...
    I think the annoyance would be the last thing on my mind.

Bugger of a place to work by the sounds. but by the same token some people can't handle reality. Carlos is renouned for his iron fist rule and by being so spread thin he has little time for fools.

But he has nothing to do with this - Renault Middle management needs some hiring/firing/tolerance courses or something.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Calling it "The Beehive" kinda raises some suspicion, sounds like Resident Evil...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

the evil, the horrible evil!

were the suicides in one sector or were they spread out?
    id hate to be working there
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

They should open an employee wellness centre like Foxconn did for their Chinese employees to keep them happy

Thread Information