View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Well, I guess being the world's biggest car maker means you can swallow it up if it goes wrong (I'm not sure the Toyobaru is actually meeting sales targets) and anyway they had to partner with Subaru (and transfer most of the engineering to them) to make it work.

Nissan can't afford that, as it turns out.
That's true, Nissan is a smaller manufacturer, but not that much smaller. If they can afford the 370Z platform, I think it'd be okay if they built a smaller RWD platform and share it with Renault too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
Welp, the Toyobaru was a punt, first on the scene kinda deal, that was hyped up and hotly anticipated and.. none of us bought one. If it's just power holding you back, there's about 57 kits available that'll give you a nice bump up without stressing things too much or costing an arm/leg transplant but we're still not buying them. I can assure you that if there was a waiting list for a Toyobaru, the IDx would be out already. While I agree that a BRZ STi would seem to be a sound business idea at this point given the platform and the engine are proven to take the power, it makes no sense at all for Nissan to leap into the fray at this stage.
I currently don't own a car, but a BRZ is up there on my list when I do get spending power. Power be damned, I'm used to underpowered cars anyway.

I was hoping for Nissan to make the IDX so that small RWD cars would show up somewhere on Honda's radar. That was more wishful thinking than anything else though. Honda's so lost with its sport car/sports sedan strategy I have no idea where to begin... Don't even get me started with Acura.