Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lambo & Carbon

Lambo & Carbon

Lamborghini Opens Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory - MotorAuthority

Lamborghini has officially unveiled the “Automobili Lamborghini Advanced Composite Structures Laboratory” (ACSL) with an event held at the University of Washington. The unveiling of the lab publicly marks the automaker’s commitment to investing in the future of carbon-fiber technologies by partnering with leaders in aerospace and composite material development, including the University of Washington and aerospace company Boeing.
    My opinion is that such an investment is not worthwhile if you are just planning to use the expertise for bodywork construction.

Could it be that they are planning to use carbon in chassis of future models? I wouldn't expect to see that on Gallardo successors. I wouldn't expect it for the Murcielago successor, as the development is at its final stages. I would like to see it on the successor of the successor of the Murcielago
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I think the same, even if I doubt they will try to actually produce or design the chassis completely in house, still it's a good thing to know what you are paying other people for.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think VW realizes material science is the future of the automobile and just thought, 'Why the hell not put it under the Lambo banner?'"

FYI: Horatcio Pagani used to be the head of this division at Lambo.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

That was more than 20 years ago though, and I think three Lamborghini's ago as well.
    That was the first CF chassis (a la F40, so a tubular steel frame boxed with CF sheets) on a road car too, the Countach Evoluzione.
    Pagani is one of the few to actually completely design the CF chassis in house.
    Ferrari, Bugatti and Porsche went to ATR, while Maserati opted for Dallara (both in Italy btw).
    Don't know about Koenigsegg and Gumpert.

Speaking of material science, I always thought it would be great if someone could figure out how to use spider silk for the auto industry. It's incredibly lightweight, flexible, very strong and occurs naturally using renewable materials as raw input. I know there's been interest in artificially reproducing the stuff but I don't think anyone's made much substantial progress yet. Also, don't know much about its reactions to extreme temperatures...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

I just read on Wiki that they can't make it properly synthetically. And if they farm it they have to keep all the spiders separetely otherwise they all eat eachother!

To my limited knowledge everyone in the auto industry has known since the '80s, maybe even late '70s, of CF importance and potential. I would agree that VW wanted CF work done and choose to call it Lambo for publicity purposes but I still encourage anything that might allow us to start seeing CF components throughout a greater number of road cars instead of just the bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by VOGUE_MAN View Post
    VW wanted CF work done and choose to call it Lambo for publicity purposes
    That is probably correct, but let me add that the Veyron also is made of Carbon fibre.

Why this distinction? After all, Bugatti is WAY more upmarket than Lambo. I would expect an in-house project for the whole group, if it was to be shared with other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    Speaking of material science, I always thought it would be great if someone could figure out how to use spider silk for the auto industry. It's incredibly lightweight, flexible, very strong and occurs naturally using renewable materials as raw input. I know there's been interest in artificially reproducing the stuff but I don't think anyone's made much substantial progress yet. Also, don't know much about its reactions to extreme temperatures...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    I just read on Wiki that they can't make it properly synthetically. And if they farm it they have to keep all the spiders separetely otherwise they all eat eachother!
    there has been success in altering gene expression in goats so that spider silk is produced in the milk. much easier to produce that way.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there has been success in altering gene expression in goats so that spider silk is produced in the milk. much easier to produce that way.
    Too bad, now they can't produce a Spyder version, they'll call it Goat instead

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    That is probably correct, but let me add that the Veyron also is made of Carbon fibre.

Why this distinction? After all, Bugatti is WAY more upmarket than Lambo. I would expect an in-house project for the whole group, if it was to be shared with other brands.
    The Veyron's monocoque is done by ATR though, as previously stated.
    Also, I don't think we can talk about sharing a CF chassis, the only example I can think of is the Enzo/MC12 which wasn't so well received right for this reason, even if not really correct.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The Veyron's monocoque is done by ATR though, as previously stated.
    Also, I don't think we can talk about sharing a CF chassis, the only example I can think of is the Enzo/MC12 which wasn't so well received right for this reason, even if not really correct.
    That was my point. Veyron outsourced the Chassis from ATR and now Lambo might develop an in-house project. If it was a shared VW project, costs, facilities and technology would be shared, making it easier for everyone. Even Porsche could benefit.

As for the chassis, maybe I didn't clarify my point well enough. I meant technology and facilities sharing, not the chassis itself

lol, i did find it hilarious when people were panicking over spider-goat genetic hybrids, when it's only the expression of milk that is effected haha.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Haha...it won't run on gasoline/petrol...instead it'll run on garbage and old socks!

By the way, anyone know why sometimes a car's called a Spyder, and others Spider?
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Kolkata-7th largest city in the world, still back of beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    We tried composites with it once. It doesn't work.First of all quantity. You won't get enough to scale up to industrial levels. Next is high temperature properies aren't great too. Carbon nanotubes are a better bet.
    A bad day at the race track beats a good day at the office any time.

Thread Information