Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blackhawk Collection

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Very cool. What lens(es?) were you using? I will be getting the 35mm 1.8 when it comes out at J and R. Did you up the ISO as well? How about monopods?
    sigma 18-50, crap lens. need a new one. iso was 800 for a few, but 1600 for most shots. no monopods allowed either.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Maserati Ghibli
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 03-09-2009 at 05:13 PM.

1934 Delage D8SS (1 of 1)

An evolution of the 4 Liter, straight 8, D8 engine, the SS had 145 horsepower. This car was bodied by Fernandez and Darrin in Paris for the wife of a wealthy Parisian aristocrat. She was known to regularly repaint her car to match different clothing, and the current color was one of her favorites.

Additionally, it is fitted with a crystal Lalique hood ornament, complete with a light underneath, so peacock head would glow as she drove down the Champs-Élysées.

Delage D8SS Cont.

do these get driven on occaison?
    some very interesting vehicles, pokey.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    do these get driven on occaison?
    some very interesting vehicles, pokey.
    some do, some dont. lots of the collection is taken to various concourses throughout the country, others are permanent display vehicles. im pretty sure the hispano hasn't been out of the museum for a long time. its a shame too, because some of these are very stunning cars.

Just curious, but does Jay Leno have any cars in this collection?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Just curious, but does Jay Leno have any cars in this collection?
    i dont know... for the most part it is a private collection. but there are cars that visit for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. it is possible that leno has cars displayed there occasionally, but i have never seen one.

It is always a shame when you see these beautiful cars not being used for what they were designed for I think. A car in a museum is alright for a while, but it'd also be nice if they were out on the road.

Indeed, having them on display is nice, but they should be driven from time to time.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i dont know... for the most part it is a private collection. but there are cars that visit for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. it is possible that leno has cars displayed there occasionally, but i have never seen one.
    I see. I brought it up because I watch his website's videos, and he always drives his cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It is always a shame when you see these beautiful cars not being used for what they were designed for I think. A car in a museum is alright for a while, but it'd also be nice if they were out on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Indeed, having them on display is nice, but they should be driven from time to time.
    Yeah, I understand.

Jay Leno always laments that its' almost a double edged sword- the value of the cars saved them from destruction (if they were neglected, etc.), which allowed him to save a couple Deusenbergs, but because of that value some of their new owners are afraid of driving it.

Interesting thread - it's not often you find discussions about the Blackhawk on the web.

I am curious how long you've been visiting the museum and if perhaps you might have been there in the 2001-2002 time frame? During that time period, they had a McLaren F1 road car on display. The car was black and had been fitted with the High Downforce Kit giving it the look of an F1 GTR or LM.

Unfortunately very few photos have surfaced from the time the F1 was there on display, and many are poor in quality due to the low light levels and 'no tripod' rule that you mentioned.

I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask so that's what I am doing. If not, no big deal and thanks anyway.

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    Interesting thread - it's not often you find discussions about the Blackhawk on the web.

I am curious how long you've been visiting the museum and if perhaps you might have been there in the 2001-2002 time frame? During that time period, they had a McLaren F1 road car on display. The car was black and had been fitted with the High Downforce Kit giving it the look of an F1 GTR or LM.

Unfortunately very few photos have surfaced from the time the F1 was there on display, and many are poor in quality due to the low light levels and 'no tripod' rule that you mentioned.

I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask so that's what I am doing. If not, no big deal and thanks anyway.

>8^)
    ER
    ive only been going there the last few years. once in 2007, and regularly in the last half of 2008 and 2009. they havent had the McLaren there, and sadly I still havent seen one.

Well it was worth a try. Thanks for the reply.

There is at least one F1 in Monterey this weekend - a silver road car. The owner said it would be at the Quail on Friday. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a red road car in the paddock at the Historics today and there could always be others that will show up in photos later.

They are rather elusive cars, but hopefully you will cross paths with one eventually.

>8^)
    ER

posting from the press room at the historics... i havent seen an F1, doesnt mean one isnt here. The fearless leaders do have some shots of it at the quail, but I was covering Concorso, so none there, (but a lot of tasty other stuff). There is a lot of cool non-racing stuff in the paddock here, including a Veyron, EB110, and Enzo. I'll look for the F1.

Thread Information