Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai versus Kia

Hyundai versus Kia

So I just read a review of the Kia Optima and I got to thinking about an automotive issue that I have been considering for a few months.

Hyundai Kia Automotive Group are closely affiliated, and share many platforms. Their vehicles are similar in price. Hyundai and Kia both have moved upmarket, with Hyundai moving even further upmarket with the Genesi and Equus. Kia has a bit tigher suspension, and bit harder design language.

Why do these two manufactures exist? They seem to similar to me to make it worthwhile to continue to keep both brands around. Wiki says Hyundai owns only 34.58% of Kia as it stands (they used to own 51%). Is it wise for the group to keep these two brands alive, potentially having them cannibalize each others sales while offering very similar products?

I thought Hyundai would move upmarket of Kia, but Hyundai bought Kia in 1998 and I fail to see much differentiation in their product lines (at least in North America).

On that matter, I also am a bit perplexed that Hyundai has not spun off a luxury brand with a Westernized name to shed themselves of the negative perception that Hyundais still often carry.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Can anyone enlighten me?

One theory goes give the customer three choices and if you own two of them you've increased your chances by 50% of winning the deal
    Works for VAG group and I suspect the model that are using - Seat versus VW models
    It seems a uniquley American ( North ) perspective that the name matters.
    Only Lexus have chosen to follow suit in Europe and nobody gets fooled over here
    ( well nobody intelligent !! (ducks) )
    So perhaps Kia and Hyundai chose to let the product speak and keep their marketing, branding and cosmetic costs down.
    my tuppence
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

For one, Kia's current line up of cars looks better than Hyundai....I've caught myself doing double take to them when I drive by one.

Though really, I still won't buy either...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Hyundai have the stronger brand of the two, at least in Australia, purely because they've done their best to rise above the cheapy tag. Kia is still a value based brand in the sense they sell transport at a cost, but again, thats quickly changing.

For the most part they share nearly every market sector with similar vehicles, it really does come down to aesthetics and the deal you can get from the dealer on the day.

Hyundai, for the record, are doing their best to shake the Budget tag with the "Equus" model, which doesn't feature a Hyundai logo on the car. From most tests I've read it seems like it's 85% as good as a Lexus for 70% of the cost. So roughly what, 65% as good as a European for 50% of the cost or something? IDK.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I thought Hyundai and Kia were a fully integrated industrial group.

Anyway, having direct experience with a modern Hyundai I can say they are good cars and nice allrounders but not the best at anything. They do retain excellent value for money though.

Wheter the space for Hyundai and Kia I don't know, but that hasn't stopped others trying the same plan including VW, GM or Ford.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hyundai has made amazing strides to become a top car maker. They were mediocre but cheap when they first exported in the mid 80s. Since the 90s they have gained considerable quality, and are a highly recommended brand. They have the best warrantee in the industry.

Kia is quite a bit lower in quality. Some of their models aren't bad, but they definitely cut down in quality.

Edit: If you want to advertise, please contact the administarator. Advertising without permission will be rewarded with a ban.
    Last edited by henk4; 04-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.

I've recently spoken with a local mechanics, one of those who rate the cars according to their maintenance bills and that kind of stuff. He has quite a good opinion of Hyundai's cars, didn't talk about Kia.

He advised my brother as he is consider a Hyundai Coupe.

I didn't have many concerns about the company tbh. Considering how large and powerful the two brands are now, I'd expect their recent cars to be decent products (generating profits while also gaining new customers) without being a pain to service (spending money and loosing customers).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I think they both make good cars which are excellent value for money. I have been very impressed with the new Hyundai modals, take the Hyundai i10 for example, our friends just brought one in gray and it looks quite smart, when i looked inside i expected it to be very basic because of the price, but in fact it's quite kited out and the trims pretty nice. The Hyundai i10 seems to be great value for money and so are all the other Hyundai modals. I prefer Hyundai over Kia, although not by much.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

I agree that I prefer Hyundai over Kia. I just find Kia's look alot like other brands. I noticed one of their cars look like a Mercedes, and another looks like a Ford (I think it was.) They don't really have their own look or style.

But I would even consider buying a hyundai myself. There are a few models I do like. Having said that, they are far down on my list of potential purchases.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

My vote for Hyundai. Because This company has plans in every country of the world,but Kia has very few plans in major country.
    I actually don't know about Performance of kia cars.

Both are decent cars, my family owns two Hyundai's and I like them very much. They are very nice cars, durable and cheap, etc. The two products are very similar and I admit Kia has come a long way from the first time I rode in one of their cars, back in like 02-03 and I felt like I was riding in a soda can. But I would still take Hyundai, I think they offer an overall better package that's high quality but you're right, often times I have wondered why both brands exist.

However, the last couple years Kia has struck out on its own with it's designs (The Forte, Sportage and Soul) to differentiate itself from Hyundai, so maybe the two brands can co-exist.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I thought hyundai owned more of kia than that. It actually makes more sense that they both exist because of that. People want to own and control their own thing and have their own vision and all that.

In my mind, the intended market direction (not the mechanics of the business relationship) is akin to Toyota and Scion in market direction. I think what they want ultimately is more like Lexus and Toyota but one step at a time, right.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Both are horrible car manufactureres, but if i had to chose it would be the hyundai, at least they make an attempt at a sports car

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    Both are horrible car manufactureres, but if i had to chose it would be the hyundai, at least they make an attempt at a sports car
    Horrible? How can you say that, yes they don't make high end sports cars like Porsche, but it doesn't mean their horrible. Most people don't what high end sports car, they whant eco car instead and Hyundi are good at making them.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
    Completely uneducated statement.

Thread Information