Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Furai

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Is this factoring in Wouters previous comment?
    No it isn't but I have examined the rules and can not find the distinction Wouter alluded to being made.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the air intake, the sharp trailing edge is not good for airflow
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    I have to say I'm not a fan of the air intake, the sharp trailing edge is not good for airflow
    ? no, sharp trailing edge is ideal for air flow as it minimises turbulence as the seperated airflow comes together again.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

sorry this is off topic but i love your avatar man haha
    Come check out our brand new forums at

www.HondaForum.TeamGoo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Why is this? I thought that Mazda or a rotary team could run a 4L turbocharged rotary in LMP. Mazda's 787B had just short of 250 hp/L (rumored to make 900 odd hp at 11,000 rpm if not limited to 9,000 rpm) and as this is turbocharged I don't see why it couldn't make even more specific power - tentatively this engine could produce 1000 odd peak hp before the air restrictors are taken into account. The air restrictors would limit this power to a degree I am not sure of but it doesn't seem unreasonable they this engine could produce power similar to that of Audi or Peugeot's LMP1 effort.

Hell, Mazda could even opt to go for a 6L naturally aspirated engine with possibly even greater power.
    The R26B was not turbocharged.

A turbocharged rotary would have a maximum displacement of 2 liters, NA 3. The R26B was 2.6 L this is as close as one could get to 3 without designing a completely new family of rotary engines. This would not be financially feasible unless it was being developed for their road cars as well. Unfortunately, there is not currently enough interest or advantages to justify completely redesighning and resizing Mazda's current rotor. Right now they can get all the power required of a street car from a 3 rotor NA.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    restrictors might effect the rotaries worse than they do normal reciprocating engines.
    Bingo! this is why we probably won't see a rotary at La Sarthe unless there is a fundamental change in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    The R26B was not turbocharged.

A turbocharged rotary would have a maximum displacement of 2 liters, NA 3. The R26B was 2.6 L this is as close as one could get to 3 without designing a completely new family of rotary engines. This would not be financially feasible unless it was being developed for their road cars as well. Unfortunately, there is not currently enough interest or advantages to justify completely redesighning and resizing Mazda's current rotor. Right now they can get all the power required of a street car from a 3 rotor NA.
    Odd post by me. I knew that the R26B wasn't turbocharged, i think I meant to write that it isn't turbocharged.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Bingo! this is why we probably won't see a rotary at La Sarthe unless there is a fundamental change in the rules.
    Do you know for a fact if restrictors affect rotaries more than other engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Do you know for a fact if restrictors affect rotaries more than other engines?
    It does.
    So much so that the Courage C65 running at Le Mans was permitted to run 53mm instead of 49mm as mandated the first year and retained for Otto engines.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

personally, i believe that it is outlandishly sexy
    I think "Koenigsegg" is Sweedish for "OH NO, MY HEADS JUST EXPLODED!"

If you can still see the cops,
    you're not going fast enough.

Ben Devlin drives the Furai at Buttonwillow Raceway Park

in California

YouTube - Mazda Furai Concept Laps Buttonwillow

Buttonwillow Raceway Park

Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Thanks for the vid togos!! It's awesome to see a concept car being caned around a track.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

cheers for extra vid been wanting to see more of this beast

I didn't think it was going to be produced, for racing at least?

it won't be
    elements of the car have been considered to be used in a racing Prototype but nothing really in way of a new car.
    it has been weighed- believe it or not it is 3300lbs.! so much fiber glass it is a porker
    and Dev is only driving 6-8/10ths he said
    the splitter also doesn't work as it is supposed to it gets in the way of ground clearance.
    all that being said, Mazda design NA told me he was talking to the team to see if they can make some body panels for the car to add the "flow" language to the lmp2 car- but it is not really gonna happen i think, also note the car at shows has sculpted rims, very turbulent and on the track is uses the regular race car rims.
    this was a show piece- but at least it runs

This car became epic it's a great concept, one of the most beautiful cars ever.

Last edited by LotusLocost; 05-28-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: removed spam link

Mazda Design People

Mazda Design People

Mazda Furai in detail

Mazda Furai Concept
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Thread Information