Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lotus :^(

Not a bad idea, you know.

The current Lotus crop doesn't fit your average Fat Joe or Biggie Pac or whatever.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I disagree - Alfa Romeo is a known quantity to the marketplace. It has a reputation it will probably never shift, which is a shame.

I think the brand is just underground enough to be successful because it'll be cool to own one - a brand that has history but is still underground in terms of current knowledge and interest. This could work but it's going to be a marketing exercise as opposed to the product.

A rebirth of sorts in this modern age is often this and this alone.
    I don't know. I would say that you indeed right with you Alfa Romeo versus Lotus distinction, but I still am not sure this Lotus rebirth will actually work.

See, all the late 90's and early 00's rebirth have done on behalf of brands that were already well established in the market, just with limited line-ups or limited resources. Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, Lamborghini, Maserati or Porsche were already recognized players in the super-mega-premium segment.

Also, there's another problem for Lotus. They are trying to go upmarket, which is the single most difficult thing to do in any mature industry, like the automotive industry. All those other brands (with the notable exception of Maserati, but they had already been at the top in the past) either moved laterally or downmarket, which is infinitely easier.

I'm not sure this new path will work for Lotus.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't know. I would say that you indeed right with you Alfa Romeo versus Lotus distinction, but I still am not sure this Lotus rebirth will actually work.

See, all the late 90's and early 00's rebirth have done on behalf of brands that were already well established in the market, just with limited line-ups or limited resources. Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, Lamborghini, Maserati or Porsche were already recognized players in the super-mega-premium segment.
    I do understand what you mean, Lotus in comparison seems a little nouveau riche.

My point is that while they may have had the weight of luxurious history, Lotus has a mysterious and sporty past. It's probably it's biggest asset but is also the biggest burden - and it's interesting to see them try and have their cake - the mysterious sportsman at the party.

Also, there's another problem for Lotus. They are trying to go upmarket, which is the single most difficult thing to do in any mature industry, like the automotive industry. All those other brands (with the notable exception of Maserati, but they had already been at the top in the past) either moved laterally or downmarket, which is infinitely easier.

I'm not sure this new path will work for Lotus.
    The upward trend is to be well handled purely for the reason that it's an English brand. Make of that what you will but in the US Olde English brands are pretty well regarded. This is also true in Asia.

Upward movement are difficult to do, no doubt. Not impossible though. My concern is that they may not do it with their Future line up.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

while they are probablly going to be financially more successfull with this direction , what is there that can take up the current Elise/Exige mantle (apart from kitcars) ?

the elise/exige is a quality , strong/stiff , well sorted MR car thats fantastically light

now that Lotus are going to be adding luxury pork to their cars the world is left without a mass-produced sub-900 kg sportscar

I still am hopeful that they'll offer "stripped" versions of the new designs to fit in the performance niches as they have done with the Elise/Exige/211. Sadly though they charge MORE for less
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Maybe Caterham can buy the rights to the Elise/Exige/211 as well.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    while they are probablly going to be financially more successfull with this direction
    Why do many think that? I think they are taking a huge risk; though maybe a necessary one in their eyes.

Proton can only afford to pay the bills for so long, and unprofitably will only be tolerated for a certain time. This rapid expansion could be a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Why do many think that? I think they are taking a huge risk; though maybe a necessary one in their eyes.

Proton can only afford to pay the bills for so long, and unprofitably will only be tolerated for a certain time. This rapid expansion could be a complete disaster.
    Of course it could, but I think Lotus is somewhat in a "nothing to loose" mood. I don't even know if it's really Lotus's will to go that way or Protons (greedy assholes). Lotus doesn't earn that much with their current strategy. Just look at Porsche: the own soooo much mure than Lotus. While Lotus's ol management wouldn't have bothered, i see many reasons for Proton to force Lotus to go all mainstream.
    Whatever... the "old" Lotus is screwed either way. We can only hope that some of their cars (like the Elise) will retain some of the old, puristic spirit. If it doesn't you could still buy an Ariel or a Caterham .
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Why expand so rapidly? Why not dip your toe in and add a model or two as opposed to a whole whack?

How many of these are actually going to make production at all, or on time?

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Lotus doesn't earn anything with their current strategy.
    Fixed that for you.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Maybe Caterham can buy the rights to the Elise/Exige/211 as well.
    Excellent idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Yes they do. Through engineering projects.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hey I shoked! Very coool forum ! Wooow
    Last edited by henk4; 01-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Whilst the cars are too heavy, perhaps they could go in the direction of Lamborghini, Porsche and Ferrari by offering lighter, more track focused cars. I mean, the new Elise could have an Exige derivative two years after, who knows!

That would actually be quite ironic.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's all about sales. The Elise is not appealing at all unless you are a car nut... ultra plain interior with a Toyota 4 and 180 horsies.... Maybe a beefier car with a better-looking / more detailed interior and power to make up for the weight gain can sell better.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-18-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: deleted spam

Thread Information