Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an achievement !!!!

What an achievement !!!!

Monday 21st of june the first not-governement spacship is to be launched into space.It is designed by the team f Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites.It is an awesome achievement!!When they succesfullylaunch it, they have written history !!!I wish them the best of luck !!

Edit: . i'll add some pics of the craft and the carrierplane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Monday 21st of june the first not-governement spacship is to be launched into space.It is designed by the team f Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites.It is an awesome achievement!!When they succesfullylaunch it, they have written history !!!I wish them the best of luck !!

Edit: . i'll add some pics of the craft and the carrierplane
    For sure.

I *LOVE* Rutan's designs, he always manages to make the functional look fantastic
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie

didnt hear abt this b4 today, but u rite....it is an awesome achievment.
    any idea wat its gona be doin up there?
    wat the hell do i put as a siggy?!?!?!

shot of the test rocket firing up ...

and LOTS more info and keep up to date at Scaled Composites web site

www.scaled.com

I'll be checking it hourly on the day to see if they keep us up to date.
    I'd really like Rutan's designs to be the winner of the prize - even though there's a British team trying for it too - they've had trouble getting the British Lelyand badge to stay on though

Lots of details of the craft and equipment in hiQ inages at http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/info.htm
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 06-20-2004 at 06:22 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

oh, look, every ricers dream

scaled composites must be a filthy rich company to be able to afford to build a spaceship.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Now that's what I call a company Jet

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    scaled composites must be a filthy rich company to be able to afford to build a spaceship.
    Well there's a $10M prize for being the first private venture into space.

THEN there are the potential sales of 'craft to rich folks.
    Rutan has made his fortune(s) by designing and building strange planes and making a few for VERY rich people

The for ScaledComposites, anyone contemplating building anything similar is likely going to come to them for engineering data and development assistnace.

IIRC, there were originally 2 companies COMPETING last year to provide the engines. They kneow the chosen engine would probably seal the fortune fo the supplier

Along the way, I suspenct Rutan and SC to have tied up patents on making this craft whichi again they can take advantage of financially.

who is giving out the reward?
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

who is giving out the reward?
    It's a busnessman and consortiou - including St Louis city as a celetbration of the "spirit".

Old info on it at http://www.kilnet.freeserve.co.uk/earthxprize.htm
    A search for X-Prize will likely bring up more.

First of all there is the X-prize matra talked about.
    Second of all Paul Allen , one of the people that started microsoft, funds the project with a lot of money

BTW. THEY DID IT Well done all you guys

Just in case anyone didn't know, this Spacecraft is basically a pet project of Paul Allen (Microsoft). Despite the $10,000,000 prize, they've already put over $20,000,000 into development. Kind of puts the others (some with piggy-banks under 1 million) in the shadows...

Money is crazy stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Just in case anyone didn't know, this Spacecraft is basically a pet project of Paul Allen (Microsoft). Despite the $10,000,000 prize, they've already put over $20,000,000 into development. Kind of puts the others (some with piggy-banks under 1 million) in the shadows...

Money is crazy stuff...
    It's been Rutan's dream for a lot longer, I think he may have roped Allen in to help fund it for the offer of an early flight

Paul Allen is the kind of millionaire (billionaire, I assume) that I like. He doesn't have any problem with spending loads of money to follow his hobbies. He doesn't really walk all over people. And he shares his hobbies with others. I visited the Experience Music Project in Seattle last year - another one of his pet projects. It's amazing.

http://www.emplive.com/

EDIT: WRONG URL BEFORE
    Last edited by Matt; 06-22-2004 at 03:02 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Thread Information