Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive Perfection

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Nope, but my first did!

That's all true with the first G37 model that's coming to the UK, but sooner or later they're bound to follow everybody else and offer smaller-engined versions for the European market.

I don't think the coupe(include the last gen G35s) was ever offered with anything outside of the big engine from the sedan. The G35 sedan had smaller engine in Japan(2.5, 3.0 direct injection and the 3.5 the rest of the world gets), but the coupe only had the 3.5. And AFAIK G37 coupe is following the same thing.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The tubular steel chassis is extremely strong (I've heard of people having massive accidents and walking away), but there are no airbags. Emissions-wise you're screwed, though!
    They still would not be allowed in North America because they don't have any safety requirements required here. I don't know if it was true and if it still applies, but I was watching a car show that was talking about them. They said the cars had no bumpers, air bags, and the dash did not have a soft padding for the knees. (For when you knees hit the dashboard, it cushions the blow a bit.) There were a few other things, but they said they were absolutely illegal in NA.

I'm not sure if this still applies or not. The show I got this from was a couple years ago now.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I don't think the coupe(include the last gen G35s) was ever offered with anything outside of the big engine from the sedan. The G35 sedan had smaller engine in Japan(2.5, 3.0 direct injection and the 3.5 the rest of the world gets), but the coupe only had the 3.5. And AFAIK G37 coupe is following the same thing.
    I realise that this is the case in NA...however, if Infiniti is to survive for 5 minutes in Europe, it will have no choice but to offer some smaller-engined (and diesel) models for all of the cars it releases here.

It's quite simply the case that most buyers cannot (or will not) pay for the running costs of 6-cylinder petrols. That's why BMW sells every current model (bar the "M" cars) here with at least one diesel option. Lexus, Mercedes, Honda, Jaguar etc. all offer small/diesel models, too.

Cadillac have made the fatal error of launching the CTS here with large (2.8 and 3.6-litre) petrol engines and so far I haven't seen a single one on the road.

It really is a sad state of affairs. I wouldn't mind, but the British Government taxes cars based on their CO2 emissions now - so you can drive a dirty 3.0-litre diesel for the same cost in tax as a 1.8-litre petrol. They say it's for "environmental" reasons, but everyone with half a brain knows that despite lower CO2 emissions, diesels chuck-out far worse pollution in terms of other gases than petrols.

I've never choked when I've breathed in the fumes from a large petrol vehicle going past...diesel on the other hand...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I realise that this is the case in NA...however, if Infiniti is to survive for 5 minutes in Europe, it will have no choice but to offer some smaller-engined (and diesel) models for all of the cars it releases here.

It's quite simply the case that most buyers cannot (or will not) pay for the running costs of 6-cylinder petrols. That's why BMW sells every current model (bar the "M" cars) here with at least one diesel option. Lexus, Mercedes, Honda, Jaguar etc. all offer small/diesel models, too.

Cadillac have made the fatal error of launching the CTS here with large (2.8 and 3.6-litre) petrol engines and so far I haven't seen a single one on the road.

It really is a sad state of affairs. I wouldn't mind, but the British Government taxes cars based on their CO2 emissions now - so you can drive a dirty 3.0-litre diesel for the same cost in tax as a 1.8-litre petrol. They say it's for "environmental" reasons, but everyone with half a brain knows that despite lower CO2 emissions, diesels chuck-out far worse pollution in terms of other gases than petrols.

I've never choked when I've breathed in the fumes from a large petrol vehicle going past...diesel on the other hand...
    I have seen a few. It's not because of the engine, it's because of the prejudice against American cars and that they weren't good enough or radical enough to prise people out of their German barges. The most 3-series I see around here a 325i, 330i 335i and 330/5d. In places like France, they prefer Diesel engines but in Switzerland, almost every Audi I saw had the 2.8FSI/3.2FSI/4.2FSI with Quattro, the BMW's were all 330xi/335xi/545xi/530xi etcetera etcetera. I could jog up to the BMW/MINI dealer and count the petrol engines to the diesels on the Zs, X3/5/6s, 1s, 3s, 5s and 7s
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 03-06-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I have seen a few. It's not because of the engine, it's because of the prejudice against American cars and that they weren't good enough or radical enough to prise people out of their German barges. The most 3-series I see around here a 325i, 330i 335i and 330/5d. In places like France, they prefer Diesel engines but in Switzerland, almost every Audi I saw had the 2.8FSI/3.2FSI/4.2FSI with Quattro, the BMW's were all 330xi/335xi/545xi/530xi etcetera etcetera. I could jog up to the BMW/MINI dealer and count the petrol engines to the diesels on the Zs, X3/5/6s, 1s, 3s, 5s and 7s
    The complete oposite of what goes on over here, you only see diesel bmws, mercedes and audis, you could go a full year without seeing a gas engine in thoose brands, i don't think i've ever seen an A4 without the TDI logo.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

there will be a diesel in all european infiniti models as of the 2010 model year. it is a renault developed 6 cyl. 3 liter i think. it will be the perfect way to get an infiniti that is slower and less involving to drive. and its sad that it will sell like hotcakes. the VQ is so fricken good, i cant imagine how people wouldnt want it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    there will be a diesel in all european infiniti models as of the 2010 model year. it is a renault developed 6 cyl. 3 liter i think. it will be the perfect way to get an infiniti that is slower and less involving to drive. and its sad that it will sell like hotcakes. the VQ is so fricken good, i cant imagine how people wouldnt want it.
    Yeah, I think it's the 3.0 V6 dCi unit from the new Laguna Coupe/Espace
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Yeah, I think it's the 3.0 V6 dCi unit from the new Laguna Coupe/Espace
    which now produces 235 BHP, but probably has enough reserves to pump out close to 300 BHP without too much problems.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    it will be the perfect way to get an infiniti that is slower and less involving to drive. and its sad that it will sell like hotcakes. the VQ is so fricken good, i cant imagine how people wouldnt want it.
    I do know why - gas prices. If price were no object, would many take diesel over gasoline?

Maybe henk4...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I do know why - gas prices. If price were no object, would many take diesel over gasoline?

Maybe henk4...
    we did the Geneva trip (over 2000 km) with an average speed of 112 kph, (doing between 150-190 on the Autobahn and including Geneva city traffic) and a mileage of 33.6 mpg. (just for the record).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes but if gas was half the price of what it is there, like it is here, then would as many drive diesel? I think the main concern with diesel drivers is not fun or emotion, but economy and logic and as much as I enjoy logic, I like passionate and fun to drive cars I suppose.

My point was hearts go for gasoline, minds go for diesel. Is this not backed up by the market - where gas is higher diesels are more prevalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yes but if gas was half the price of what it is there, like it is here, then would as many drive diesel? I think the main concern with diesel drivers is not fun or emotion, but economy and logic and as much as I enjoy logic, I like passionate and fun to drive cars I suppose.

My point was hearts go for gasoline, minds go for diesel. Is this not backed up by the market - where gas is higher diesels are more prevalent?
    No, of course they wouldn't.

In fact I'm sure that if people actually did the maths some wouldn't even go for diesels, even considering our petrol prices.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No, of course they wouldn't.

In fact I'm sure that if people actually did the maths some wouldn't even go for diesels, even considering our petrol prices.
    absolutely correct.
    let alone if people would start to learn how to drive properly without jumping on the accelerator continuously.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    absolutely correct.
    let alone if people would start to learn how to drive properly without jumping on the accelerator continuously.
    Unfortunately since diesel is cheaper so is to run a diesel car regardless of everything...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    absolutely correct.
    And unnecessarily scrubbing speed on the highway...

I was going behind a 996 Turbo today at about 75mph, and evertime we neared a curve or a single pair of brake lights appeared ahead, the Turbo driver would slam on the anchors.
    So, I outbraked him into a bend and passed him only to be held up by a Corolla doing 55mph in the left lane.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information