Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 - Centenaire Edition

Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 - Centenaire Edition

Bugatti Veyron Centenaire Edition

100 years of Bugatti at Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este
    Bugatti Automobiles Pays Homage with four special Veyron models to Ettore Bugatti’s
    Masterpiece: The Type 35 Grand Prix

Molsheim/Cernobbio on 26 April 2009 – In a further highlight on this year’s agenda of centennial
    celebrations, Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. presented four Bugatti Veyron specials at Villa d’Este
    Concorso d’Eleganza. These one off models are reminders of Bugatti’s glorious motor-racing
    history which played a central role in popularising and ultimately establishing the myth which the
    brand continues to enjoy to this day.

The Bugatti brand is almost inextricably linked to the Type 35. The Type 35 Grand Prix was by far the
    most successful racing model. The unmistakable radiator grille and eight-spoke aluminium wheels of
    the Type 35 have become defining features of the Bugatti automobile. In its day, the Grand Prix was
    also well ahead of its time in terms of engineering ingenuity. The front axle design of this vehicle,
    which, for reasons of weight minimisation, is hollow, is a true masterpiece of workmanship and was
    deemed nothing less than revolutionary. Its springs were passed through the axle to produce a high
    level of stability. The Grand Prix’s brake drums were integrally fitted into its lightweight aluminium
    wheels. Unfastening the central wheel nut allowed the wheel to be easily removed within a matter of
    seconds and the brake to be exposed. This was a crucial advantage at the pit stop.

2000 wins in ten years

The blue racers made their first appearance on the race track at the Grand Prix held by Automobil
    Club de France in Lyon in 1924. In the decade that followed, they remained practically unchallenged
    thanks to sophisticated manufacturing efforts, their lightweight design and easy handling. During that
    ten-year era, they won almost 2000 races – more than any other model ever has. Grand Prix races were
    highly fashionable events in those days, and Bugatti was not the only brand with considerable interest
    in substantiating the reputation of its products by winning races. In fact, in the 1920s, Europe was
    regularly host to a number of different races in different countries on a single weekend. The teams set
    up by different automobile manufacturers competed at popular race circuits such as Targa Florio, Le
    Mans, Monza and Spa as well as in Rome, Nice, Antibes and even a village in Alsace.

The main reason Bugatti won such an enormous number of races – on the back of which successes the
    brand was also able to forge its image – was the fact that Bugatti sold not only its normal sports and
    touring cars to private buyers, but its racing cars too. Thus it was that its automobiles took part in such
    a large number of Grand Prix events.

This bestowed upon Ettore Bugatti a double success. He was able on the one hand to sell his racing cars
    expensively to wealthy private buyers with a keen sporting ambition and, on the other, to capitalise on
    their successes on international racing circuits – without actually having to make a single investment in
    these “marketing activities”. This stroke of genius by “Le Patron” not only brought him immortal
    fame, but a substantial fortune as well. A total of 350 legendary Type 35-series automobiles were
    ultimately built – in a wide variety of versions. Those that survived their racing days, accidents, World
    War II and all other risks over the years, have become coveted and highly priced collectors’ items.

Four Type 35 Grand Prix models – Four distinct personalities – Four Veyrons

Tradition being what it is, the Bugatti Veyron Specials built to mark the 100th anniversary of the brand
    feature the racing colours of the respective countries: blue for France, red for Italy, green for England
    and white for Germany. Each of the four new Veyrons has a specific “predecessor” in the form of an
    original Grand Prix Bugatti on which it was modelled. These four historic race cars represent the
    generation of legendary Bugatti Grand Prix racers which were piloted by world-famous race-car drivers
    and which scored countless racing victories in the 1920s and ‘30s. Each of the four Veyron Specials is
    named after a Bugatti race-car driver of the 1920s and 30s. Jean-Pierre Wimille has given the blue
    Veyron its name, Achille Varzi the red one, Malcolm Campbell the green one and Hermann zu
    Leiningen the white Veyron.

Jean-Pierre Wimille was one of the longest-serving drivers at Bugatti. He only joined the team in
    Molsheim in 1933, but subsequently remained loyal to the brand, ultimately driving home Bugatti’s
    last-ever victory in 1947 at Bois de Boulogne in a 4.7-litre Monoposto Type 59/50 B. Wimille’s many
    previous successes included winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1937 and 1939. Achille Varzi was a
    member of the official Bugatti team from 1931 to 1933. He had already achieved many successes since
    1928 driving a private Type 35 C, then later went on to win the Monaco Grand Prix, an event on
    Berlin’s Avus circuit and other races. As the setter of numerous world records for speed, the name
    Malcolm Campbell is firmly established in racing history. He also competed in countless “normal”
    races from 1911 and 1936, often piloting a Bugatti Type 39 A or Type 35, and he owned one of the
    legendary Type 57 S street sports cars. Prinz Hermann zu Leiningen’s career driving Bugattis began in
    1927 when he purchased a Type 40 chassis, for which he had a racing body built. He went on to win a
    number or races in a privately owned Type 37 A before eventually standing in the spotlight of the
    international racing scene in a 35 C for several years from 1930 onward.

“We have put a lot of effort into translating colour and material, the defining characteristics of our
    historic role models, into the designs of the modern-day Veyrons,” explains Alasdair Stewart, Director
    Sales & Marketing at Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. “We have taken extreme care to match the original
    colours of the original race cars, exterior and interior”

On Sunday, the four historic racing Type 35s and the four modern-day Centenaire EditionVeyrons
    will be exhibited alongside each other in the park of Villa Erba for the first and only time.
    3 Bugatti

Ahead of that presentation, Bugatti will on Saturday be prominently represented in the park of Villa
    d’Este by a special-display-class exhibition of models, which will serve to portray the 100-year history
    of the brand. Bugatti’s participation in the classic Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este at Lake Como will
    be the second highlight event to mark the carmaker’s centennial celebrations after it took part in the
    International Geneva Motor Show in early March. This latest event will be followed by the Pebble
    Beach Concours d’Elegance in California in mid-August and the main celebratory event on 12
    September in Molsheim (Alsace), which has been the home of this unparalleled automobile brand for
    100 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bugatti Veyron Centenaire Edition #2

Bugatti Veyron Centenaire Edition #3

I made Veyrons just like the white one and the black one in NFS Undercover.

I like these very much :-) Rather ptless, but still, they do look impressive, along with the other special editions.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

It's always brilliant when car manufacturers put contemporary and classic cars in pictures.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's always brilliant when car manufacturers put contemporary and classic cars in pictures.
    Yes, sure makes one of them look a lot better.
    It's always brilliant when car manufacturers put classic cars in pictures.
    ...and, fixed.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

i don't think so, these pictures seem to make the contemporary cars that much worse looking compared the classic cars

Too much sarcasm in one post?
    Visca Catalunya!

the red one, woudn't be completely bad if it wasn0t the 1000th iteration of a car I never loved.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The press release makes the classic mistake, the cars were NOT shown in the Park of Villa d'Este, but at Villa Erbe, one kilometer down the road. The shots here were made on Saturday, as the Sunday weather prevented any more shooting. (I have got one shot with all cars covered under plastic...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The press release makes the classic mistake, the cars were NOT shown in the Park of Villa d'Este, but at Villa Erbe, one kilometer down the road. The shots here were made on Saturday, as the Sunday weather prevented any more shooting. (I have got one shot with all cars covered under plastic...)
    Villa Erba, Sir. Classic mistake.

No seriously, lately I've heard all the kinds of Italian names abominations, Villa Desta, Villa Derbe, Balloco, Bolacco, Bollaco...whitout even considering my own Eglish abominations, as spelling BMW in Italian while talking to an American...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Villa Erba, Sir. Classic mistake.

No seriously, lately I've heard all the kinds of Italian names abominations, Villa Desta, Villa Derbe, Balloco, Bolacco, Bollaco...whitout even considering my own Eglish abominations, as spelling BMW in Italian while talking to an American...
    thank you for correcting me. I was more pointing at the fact that there are two different locations, the Villa d'Este hotel and the Villa Erba park, the latter being ignored most of the time, as being far less fancy.
    BTW did you withstand the rain on Sunday?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    thank you for correcting me. I was more pointing at the fact that there are two different locations, the Villa d'Este hotel and the Villa Erba park, the latter being ignored most of the time, as being far less fancy.
    BTW did you withstand the rain on Sunday?
    Yeah, Villa Erba is basically ignored everytime, too bad as I understood there is a nice and vast exhibition even there usually, right?

I wasn't there btw, my mean of transportation was either a train leaving at 6 am from Modena and taking me bac at 11 or 12 pm, with an heavy morning on Monday (today) at Unviersity from 8 am, or a friend of mine's car, which was to be the final choice. On Friday he has withdrawn his participation, and I was already happy enough with Thurdays at Balocco. Too bad it rained (for all of you), but at least I didn't miss the usual gorgeous day.

Would have killed to see the One-77's interiors.

Well apart from the cars already shown at Villa d'Este, the Erba exhibition outdoors included the Bugattis and very few other cars. This in contrast with last year, when there was a host of Touring bodied on show and a number of other interesting vehicles. The indoor exhibition by BMW featured some interesting cars, like the oldest surviving Porsche 356 and a Kamm test vehicle, but apart from that, we had no reason to regret our premature departure from Erba.

Some more overpriced Corrados.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information