Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye

Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car (HiRes)

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastfalcons.com
    Ford was encouraged by the successes of the ‘63 Rally Falcons and the resulting favorable publicity. The '64 Rally Falcons were part of the continuing "Total Performance" advertising strategy that was highly effective for Ford during the mid 1960s.

Ford decided to center their rally efforts on the newly restyled 1964 Falcon "Sprint" through the mid-year of 1964 until the new Mustang model was introduced. The new Falcon body lines were less rounded than the 1960-1963 Falcons and had a more squarish pony car look. The '64 Falcons (and later '65 Falcons) were based on the same basic unibody structure of the earlier falcons.

Alan and George traveled to Dearborn to make arrangements for the delivery of eight rally cars and eight practice cars. The Falcons were selected from the factory line and shipped to Lincoln Cars Ltd. in England for final preparations. Special equipment for the Rally Falcons was developed by John Holman of Holman & Moody fame.

The '64 Rally Falcons were outfitted with significant performance improvements compared to the '63 Rally Falcons. The homologated Falcons had an array of optional performance characteristics that were supposedly available from your friendly Ford dealer.

The '64 Monte Carlo Rally Falcons were powered by the new high performance 289 motor rated at 305 horsepower. The power plant was equipped with hi-po goodies including a special high-lift camshaft and a 10 to 1 compression ratio. The motor was topped with two (as in dual) 4 barrel Carter carburetors. The beastly engine had its lifeblood cooled by an oil radiator. This was the same hi-po motor that was to achieve similar racing glory in early Cobras, GT 40s and Mustangs.

The motor was mated to Ford’s T-10 Transmission box with an optional set of gear ratios. The differential was Ford’s bullet proof 9-inch type that was borrowed from the full-size Galaxie. The differential was "limited slip" and outfitted with the larger rear drum brakes and axle from the Galaxie.

The front-end spindles were borrowed from the luxury Lincoln and outfitted with Thunderbird brakes. Fifteen-inch wheels were the smallest size that would accommodate the brakes. The brakes were an example of the parts listed that brought into question the validity of the homologated Falcons. Thirteen and fourteen inch wheel sizes were your only choices on 1964 Falcons in reality.

The front and rear springs were stiffer than the stock versions, and adjustable shock absorbers were mounted at each wheel.

The '64 Rally Falcon weighed only 2,156 pounds, almost a thousand pounds less than the stock Sprint. The weight savings was mainly gained from the fiberglass pieces that were specially made for the hood, rear deck lid, front fenders and doors. The front windshield was made from safety glass, but the remainder of the windows were made from Lexan which is a lightweight polycarbonate material.

The interior of the Falcon was also furnished in a manner to reduce weight. The front seats and the dash were the main components of the interior. Standard trim such as door panels and carpeting were removed. The dash was outfitted with a tachometer and rally equipment, and the rear seat area was fitted with an array of tools.

The July 1964 Car and Driver Magazine included a Road Test that covered a 1964 Falcon Sprint Rally car. The test driver (David Phipps) was suitably impressed with the performance characteristics of the Falcon. Here are some of the impressive performance characteristics that I gleaned from this article.

In four runs from 0-60, times ranged from 5.7 seconds to 6.3 seconds. These are still respectable times thirty-five years later.

The Monte Carlo Falcon turned the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds at 89 mph. This is a time that could undoubtedly could be improved on by a professional driver.

The new Falcon utilized the High Performance 289 engine that would freely rev to 7,000 rpm!
    Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car #1

Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car #2

Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car #3

Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car #4

Ford Falcon Sprint Rallye Car #5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Terrific pics, thanks, ~*Hao-Wang*~

Story in the article is very impressive yet there is no mention of results.
    Retirement perhaps?

Cheers!

1963 Falcon Sprint Monte Carlo

I am looking to buy one of the original 1963 Monte Carlos. Any one have any leads?

in 1964 Bo L????? (sorry can remember how to spell his surname) won every special stage (only person to do so in the entire history of the monte) only to have late time no the final transport stage after getting stuck (i think it was either snow or boulders thrown onto the stage by spectators) so he ended up way down the order, still won his class etc. but not overall.

the 1963 cars were all converted into the 64 cars, they were then all sold off, allan mann had one in his btcc team which frank gardner raced, he might have had 2, not sure, my dad has all the history of the cars as he is building a replica of one of the 63 cars. there was one 63 car in california sitting on a farm, i have a feeling though it might have been crushed though! there was only a bare shell, but it had the id plate and the plate had the g.hill stamped on it. so it must have been graham hills car. absolute tradgedy if it was crushed. one of the 64 cars is still being used in rallying, it is owned by a texan his name is c jones (i think) he ran in targa tasmania a few years ago, i think he might have done the latest london sydney too. not sure again.

but i am certain of my dad saying most of the 63 cars became the 64 ones.

not sure if this person is saying this is one of the actual cars or if he is just saying it is the same as...

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.ford.fal...963.04nov.html
    Last edited by rsfocus; 01-26-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Its the real one

The car in the article is the one that Bo Ljungfeldt drove in Monte Carlo. I was the co-driver in Mexico and it is a great car. Handles perfect.

It's been restored by the driver and is in excellent condition.

Quote Originally Posted by rchrist
    The car in the article is the one that Bo Ljungfeldt drove in Monte Carlo. I was the co-driver in Mexico and it is a great car. Handles perfect.

It's been restored by the driver and is in excellent condition.
    Didn't you make the same exact post under a different user name?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Ford Falcon Rallye Car #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ~*Hao-Wang*~; 03-13-2006 at 11:13 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't this the car that was kicked into touch by the Mini?

I want to see the images.
    But say that is imposible to me
    ¿Can i find in other place?
    Thanks.
    I have a Ford Falcon 1965 Rallye car, prepared for the "La carrera panamericana"

Quote Originally Posted by tiogordomx
    Thanks.
    I have a Ford Falcon 1965 Rallye car, prepared for the "La carrera panamericana"
    The last Carrera Panamericana was held in 1954...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by tiogordomx
    Thanks.
    is yours the white and blue one that has appeared on a few web sites lately? also it is one of the genuine cars from the 60's??? i have read an article on the last pan americana you did if it is

i am currently building a replica of one of the 63 cars, i will be running in local tarmac rally's here in australia (mainly in my own state of tasmania).

Thread Information