Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The ultimate Q car?

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    High fives to low sixes with good mid range...a VN SS Commodore won't match that with it's 5.0L
    From a quick squiz it seems the 6cyl M5 is indeed a bit quicker to 100 km/h than was the 5 litre SS sedan, but slower from that speed to higher velocities. Afaik a ute is lighter than the sedan variant, and there is little doubt (and self-evident proof) that the ute was indeed the faster machine around Bathurst. Btw I attended that very race and IIRC there were quite a few Holdens that out-qualified the factory M5

I would consider an approx $20k common-or-garden Holden light-commercial vehicle to be lower profile than a $200,000+ BMW M5 and thus have more Q-value

And I likewise think if you removed all the police insignia from one of THESE it would then (with its plain station wagon looks, bare steel wheels and unadorned trim) represent a lower profile - hence higher Q-value, despite somewhat less outright performance - than something like the pic-attached Merc 500E 'Q-car' beladen with performance-telltale flared arches & spoilers & ground-effects add-ons
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    It's a Q-ship that invested in a really nice brig instead of some big guns. The Cortina is slower..just.
    And the Lotus Cortina doesn't accelerate any faster than the manual version of these!

[edit] link now denied so for those who missed it here's two pics
    (btw the manual version I've mentioned was a basic 3-speed and almost one second quicker from 0-100 over the race-bred Lotus)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 03-12-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    From a quick squiz it seems the 6cyl M5 is indeed a bit quicker to 100 km/h than was the 5 litre SS sedan, but slower from that speed to higher velocities.
    I'm quite surprised by that, considering the M5 had about 100horsepowers more than that SS, I've ridden a few 5L commodores and they've never felt special quick and while I haven't been in an E34 M5 I've felt the way a 300+bhp big 6 can pull a car (in a 350Z) and I expected the M5 should be quicker than a cooking spec 5.L.....
    Afaik a ute is lighter than the sedan variant, and there is little doubt (and self-evident proof) that the ute was indeed the faster machine around Bathurst. Btw I attended that very race and IIRC there were quite a few Holdens that out-qualified the factory M5
    Is it possible that the locals benefitted from a little development tune the German possibly missed out on? There couldn't have been a lot of local knowledge to put into the E34 at that time.
    I would consider an approx $20k common-or-garden Holden light-commercial vehicle to be lower profile than a $200,000+ BMW M5 and thus have more Q-value
    Hahaha, perhaps more bang for buck but a key element of Q-ness is surprise and everyone knows what to expect from a Commodore.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

And the Lotus Cortina doesn't accelerate any faster than the manual version of these!
    Q status: REVOKED
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 03-11-2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Actually yes, yes it is the point. A Q-car that's not fast isn't a Q-car at all.
    Please define "fast"...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Please define "fast"...
    not slow
    imo, enough to scare a sportscar
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Please define "fast"...
    to refuse eating....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    And I likewise think if you removed all the police insignia from one of THESE it would then (with its plain station wagon looks, bare steel wheels and unadorned trim) represent a lower profile - hence higher Q-value, despite somewhat less outright performance - than something like the pic-attached Merc 500E 'Q-car' beladen with performance-telltale flared arches & spoilers & ground-effects add-ons
    If you think the 500 E was slow there's always the ultra rare E60 AMG W124, with a 6-litre 380bhp V8.

And don't tell me this isn't subtle. You cheated choosing the version with big shiny wheels...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

YouTube - 2008 Spy Audi RS6 drifting in Nurburgring (filmed by HenRS4)

Actually the old Audi V8 Quattro is quite the Q car...

id say that the ultimate Q Car is(if im allowed to say it):Subaru Impreza 22B STI.

Thread Information