Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maserati Ghibli 2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The Ghibli is a Challenger too, isn't it? That means these are all very old E Classes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    That old E-class was sourced from the even older S-class. The origins of the S-class itself, of course, can be traced back to an oxcart.

So this means.....what?
    The thing is it isn't.

It's the first car (I'm having a hard time to believe this wasn't the QP, but anyway...) to use the brand new Fiat-Chrysler rear wheel drive architecture for large cars.

This means this platform will be used in this, the next 300, the next Charger, the next Challenger, maybe the next Thema is Lancia isn't killed off first.. and that sci-fi thing they call the E-Segment Alfa Romeo saloon.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 05-01-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

^^^ Exactly.

Except the QP part. AFAIK, new Quattroporte was the debut of that brand new RWD platform.

Better a new Fiat platform than an old S-class platform.. probably.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

^^^ Exactly.

Except the QP part. AFAIK, new Quattroporte was the debut of that brand new RWD platform.
    I read it was the Ghibli the car which debuted it, but that clearly makes no sense at all so you must be right.

Also, the Ghibli has definitely an air of being a SWB QP.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It is amazing that finally Fiat got their act together to actually make proper rear wheel drive, relatively affordable sports saloons. Thanks to the Americans that is...

It is also amazing that it was Lancia, of all brands, that got the first proper mass production rear wheel drive car. Much before Maserati or Alfa Romeo, who despite all the cries of the Alfisti still hasn't got any...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It is also amazing that it was Lancia, of all brands, that got the first proper mass production rear wheel drive car.
    The cold harsh reality is, of course, that nobody wants THAT car.

During my recent visit to Italy and Switzerland, I could not spot a single one of those rebadged Lancias. Yet those two are about the only countries where Lancia has any sales at all.

The cold harsh reality is, of course, that nobody wants THAT car.

During my recent visit to Italy and Switzerland, I could not spot a single one of those rebadged Lancias. Yet those two are about the only countries where Lancia has any sales at all.
    I've seen more Voyagers than Themas, which is sad.

I somewhat sort of fancy a Thema a bit. Unfortunately, I don't think it fits in my parking space...
    Visca Catalunya!

How common are the Chryslancias? I assume very few are on the roads, but there is part of me that would be impressed if they sold any at all. If they did start selling well, it would probably cause TC by Maserati prices to rise, thus destroying the universe.

On the subject at hand: I am having a hard time with the whole diesel Maserati idea. It would be a lot easier for my brain to cope with this idea, platform, and engine selection if it was appended to the top of Alfa Romeo's range, rather than the bottom of Maserati's.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I somewhat sort of fancy a Thema a bit. Unfortunately, I don't think it fits in my parking space...
    Current Chrysler 300 is a very charming car indeed. I simply cannot comprehend the idea of labeling something that is utterly American as a Lancia. It makes my brain melt.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    On the subject at hand: I am having a hard time with the whole diesel Maserati idea.
    I say - bring it on! While they are at it, why not make a SUV too?

The vast majority of Porsches sold these days are diesel Cayennes anyway. Why shouldn't Maserati try to sell cars the public wants?
    Last edited by Revo; 05-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.

How common are the Chryslancias? I assume very few are on the roads, but there is part of me that would be impressed if they sold any at all. If they did start selling well, it would probably cause TC by Maserati prices to rise, thus destroying the universe.
    Oh, don't worry they aren't popular at all.

Far more popular is the Dodgiat.
    Current Chrysler 300 is a very charming car indeed. I simply cannot comprehend the idea of labeling something that is utterly American as a Lancia. It makes my brain melt.
    It's strange indeed. Marketing and costs dictate it. It makes me angry as well. However the Voyager makes me even angrier... I don't understand why anyone buys it.
    I say - bring it on! While they are at it, why not make a SUV too?

The vast majority of Porsches sold these days are diesel Cayennes anyway. Why shouldn't Maserati try to sell cars the public wants?
    People cannot discern correct what they want, as it turns out.

Porsche diesel is wrong, Jaguar diesel is wronger, Maserati diesel is wrongest.
    Visca Catalunya!

The thing is it isn't.

It's the first car (I'm having a hard time to believe this wasn't the QP, but anyway...) to use the brand new Fiat-Chrysler rear wheel drive architecture for large cars.

This means this platform will be used in this, the next 300, the next Charger, the next Challenger, maybe the next Thema is Lancia isn't killed off first.. and that sci-fi thing they call the E-Segment Alfa Romeo saloon.
    The Autoblog Podcast's Speculation misled me. Where did you glean this? Have you started reading the dirty Euro rags again, or is this all digital info from commieland?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Yeah. At least it's not older than Methuselah.

I've seen more Voyagers than Themas, which is sad.

You best watch your mouth concerning dem' Voyagers, son.

If they did start selling well, it would probably cause TC by Maserati prices to rise, thus destroying the universe.
    I want to give you all of the rep, as well as the highest Misho ratio possible. Look it up.

I know what you say may be hyperbolae, but I don't think so. I believe the plurality of Porsches sold are Cayennes. I am not sure if the diesel outsells the gas.

Oh, don't worry they aren't popular at all.

Far more popular is the Dodgiat.

It's strange indeed. Marketing and costs dictate it. It makes me angry as well. However the Voyager makes me even angrier... I don't understand why anyone buys it.

People cannot discern correct what they want, as it turns out.

Porsche diesel is wrong, Jaguar diesel is wronger, Maserati diesel is wrongest.
    The Dodge Dart turns my head every time I see it. Along with the ATS. And the Volt. And the Tesla S. and the Karma. The latter two I see regularly, but far less than the preceding three.

As for your wrong, wronger, wrongest list, meh. It's a different time. You can not buy the diesel, which is the most crucial of all. Also, you don't see a 911 or F-Type with an oilburner, so the universe's qi is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The Autoblog Podcast's Speculation misled me. Where did you glean this? Have you started reading the dirty Euro rags again, or is this all digital info from commieland?
    It's been years since I last bought a car magazine.

I thought I read it in the Spanish edition of autoblog, which are usually very well informed. It's there that I learned that Alfa Romeo 4C actually isn't a KTM X-Bow hardtop.

I also think that the Tesla Model S is superbly good looking car. A shame that I do not fancy an electric car.
    Visca Catalunya!

The first proper photos of the new Ghibli.

Looks simply stunning in black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maserati Ghibli #4
    Attached Images Attached Images

The more I see it the better it looks.

70 grand is a steep price to pay for it though...
    Visca Catalunya!

€70k is totally comparable to, say, well specced 530d. Ghibli is quite aggressively priced.

Now, when will we see that elusive RWD V6 powered Alfa Romeo sedan?

Thread Information