Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 991 911 Carrera 2011-2018

Porsche 991 911 Carrera 2011-2018

The Porsche 991 is the internal designation for the seventh generation Porsche 911 which was unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show on 15 September as the replacement for the 997. An initial release of photos and information was revealed by Porsche on 23 August 2011.

The current direct injection 3.8-litre flat-six engine from the Carrera S remains, with power increasing to 400 PS (294 kW; 395 hp). A Power Kit (option X51) is available for the Carrera S, increasing power to 430 hp. The Carrera engine is a 3.4-litre, producing 350 PS (257 kW; 345 hp). The car features an optional stop/start system and also electro-mechanical power steering. New for the first time on a 911 model are electronic parking brakes (button selectable) and 20 inch diameter wheels. The car also features a new seven-speed manual gearbox, a first for a production car, along with an improved seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) dual clutch transmission.

With the introduction in 2012 of the latest GT3 model came the announcement of active rear steering. It is claimed by Porsche to provide higher lateral dynamics than previously available. Car speed inputs determine whether the rears steer in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels.

Compared to the outgoing 997, the 991 wheelbase has increased by 100 mm (3.9 in) to 2,450 millimetres (96.5 in), with the overall length up by 70 mm (2.8 in) to 4,490 millimetres (176.8 in). A new transaxle was developed so that the rear wheels could be moved 76 millimetres (3 in) backward in relation to the position of the engine, which significantly improves the weight distribution and cornering performance of the new 911.[4][5] Due to the use of high-strength steels, aluminium and some composites the weight has been reduced to 1395kg for the manual Carrera S and 1420kg for the Carrera S equipped with the Porsche Doppelkupplung (or the convertible models - 1450kg for the manual Carrera S and 1470kg for the Carrera S equipped with the Porsche Doppelkupplung).

Images of the 991 were widely published on the internet on 18 August 2011, prior to the car's official debut. The photos revealed Porsche had taken an evolutionary design step, in keeping with the previous generation 997 and 996.

source: wikipedia.org
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for all Porsche 991 911 Carrera models.
    -911 Carrera Coupé
    -911 Carrera Cabriolet
    -911 Carrera 4 Coupé
    -911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
    -911 Carrera S Coupé
    -911 Carrera S Cabriolet
    -911 Carrera 4S Coupé
    -911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet

-911 Carrera GTS Coupé
    -911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet
    -911 Carrera 4 GTS Coupé
    -911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet

And the different Carrera based special editions.

The 991 Turbo has it's own thread
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 12-02-2015 at 02:32 AM.

Porche official Pressrelease :
    The new Porsche 911 Carrera: Tradition meets modernity

World premiere at the 2011 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show

Stuttgart. At 48, the Porsche 911 Carrera is younger than ever: The completely redesigned generation of the sports car icon is stepping into the limelight with its flat, stretched silhouette, exciting contours and precisely designed details, yet from the very first glance it remains unmistakably a 911. True to the 911 tradition, the distinctive Porsche design language with its tendons and muscles exudes power and elegance.

The 100 millimetre (~ 3.9 inches) longer wheelbase and reduced height combined with the up to 20-inch wheels underpin the athletic appearance. At the same time, the typical sports car compact exterior dimensions were retained. Seen from the front, the eye is drawn to the 911’s trademark wide-arched wings. They emphasise the wider front track, so that the new 911 Carrera models sit even more solidly on the road. The remodelled exterior mirrors are accommodated on the upper edge of the door and not as before on the mirror triangle. Not only is this aerodynamically advantageous, it also emphasises the new design line and visual impression of width.

The all-new, lightweight body is an intelligent aluminium-steel construction. It is responsible for a significant proportion of the weight reduction of up to 45 kilograms. Combined with significantly greater rigidity. Aerodynamic optimisation – including a wider, variably extending rear spoiler – enabled the new 911 Carrera’s lift to be reduced yet further while retaining a very good Cd value.

To complement the modern exterior design, the Porsche designers created an interior, the architecture of which takes its cue from the Porsche Carrera GT. The driver is now even more closely integrated with the cockpit thanks to the centre console rising up to the front with the high-mounted shift lever or gear selector located especially close to the steering wheel in typical motorsport fashion. Classic Porsche elements are also to be found inside, as they are on the outside: the instrument cluster with five round instruments – one of them a high resolution multifunction screen, the central rev counter and the ignition lock to the left of the steering wheel.

Setting the standard in its class, as it has for generations, the new 911 Carrera and Carrera S raise the performance and efficiency bar yet another notch. All versions get by with significantly less than ten litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (28 mpg imp.). Fuel consumption and emissions are up to 16 per cent lower compared with its predecessor. Among other things, this is achieved by systems and functions such as auto start/stop, thermal management, electrical system recuperation, the world’s first seven-speed manual transmission and – in conjunction with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) – sailing as it is called. The new electro-mechanical power steering offers not only Porsche’s typical precision and feedback but also helps to increase efficiency and reduce fuel-consumption.

For example, the 911 Carrera with the new 350 hp (~ 257 kW) 3.4-litre boxer engine and optional PDK consumes a mere 8.2 litres per 100 kilometres (~ 34 mpg imp.) based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) – 1.6 l/100 km (~ 6 mpg imp.) less than its predecessor. Also, at 194 g/km CO2, it is the first Porsche sports car to make it below the 200 g/km mark. With the 911 Carrera S as well, with its 3.8-litre boxer engine and what is now 400 hp (~ 294 kW), fuel consumption when paired with the optional PDK is reduced by 14 per cent or 1.5 l/100 km (~ 5 mpg imp.) to 8.7 l/100 km (~ 32 mpg imp.) despite 15 hp (~ 11 kW) more power. That equates to CO2 emissions of 205 g/km.

At the same time there are performance improvements in both models. The 911 Carrera S with PDK manages to accelerate from nought to 100 km/h (~ 62 mph) in 4.3 seconds. Pressing the Sport Plus button on the optional Sport Chrono package cuts that to 4.1 seconds. The 911 Carrera with PDK needs only 4.6 seconds (Sport Plus 4.4 seconds) to sprint from a standing start to 100 km/h (~ 62 mph).

The new 911 doesn’t just offer better longitudinal dynamics, however, but top performance at an unprecedented level in terms of transverse dynamics as well. In addition to the longer wheelbase, the greater agility, precision and driving stability are based, among other things, on the wider front track, the new rear axle and new electro-mechanical power steering. Depending on the model, there are other standard or optional active control systems available as well that further enhance the driving dynamics. That is especially true for the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) active roll stabilisation system, available for the first time on the 911 Carrera S. For example, the system reduces lateral inclination when cornering, the tyres always being in the optimal position relative to the road surface and able to transmit higher lateral forces. Maximum cornering speeds are increased; even faster lap times on racing circuits are possible.

It has therefore been possible in the new model to extend yet further the span of apparently contradictory attributes such as performance and efficiency, sportiness and everyday practicality that has always typified the Porsche 911. That makes the 911 Carrera more of a 911 than ever. The new Porsche 911 Carrera celebrates its world premiere at the 2011 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show. The launch of the new 911 models gets under way on 3 December 2011, the new cars can be orderd from September 1st. Prices in Germany are 88,038 euro for the 911 Carrera and 102,436 euro for the 911 Carrera S, including 19 per cent VAT and market-specific equipment.

Source: presse.porsche.de
    Last edited by Duell; 06-13-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Porsche 911 Carrera #3

Does anyone if there are any pics of the interior with the manual gearbox?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm really not that into the 911, but at least the 997 was gorgeous to look at, this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Does anyone if there are any pics of the interior with the manual gearbox?
    Or as my father says, "You know, an automatic, as in anything that automatically synchos the gears for you."
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Or as my father says, "You know, an automatic, as in anything that automatically synchos the gears for you."
    I'm actually genuinally intrigued by the new 7 speed manual, to see how it works, the H-pattern,...
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm actually genuinally intrigued by the new 7 speed manual, to see how it works, the H-pattern,...
    I heard they nixed that.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I heard they nixed that.
    Well they mention it in the press release, if they are actually not making it, this is making them look a bit like idiots.
    Visca Catalunya!

Those tail lamps need a reflector strip to connect them.

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    Those tail lamps need a reflector strip to connect them.
    i'd assume some S model or C4 model will feature that..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i'd assume some S model or C4 model will feature that..
    It's usually the C4S.. But I don't see how they plan to do it, unfortunately.

Well they mention it in the press release, if they are actually not making it, this is making them look a bit like idiots.
    I saw in an article in EVO they nixed it, but I guess not from reading the press release.

I genuinely reckon this is by far the best looking 911, ignoring all the spin-offs...

See the pun? ;-)
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Call me crazy but is the Porsche badge along the back of this somewhat...unnecessary? what else is it going to be, a Chevy?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Very nice, look ok. Clever car, great engine. Top marks Porsche.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information