Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome back little fella...

Welcome back little fella...

Friday afternoon, my mum got rear-ended by some ****ing Barbie doll (www.myspace.com/xsimplylovelyx if you want to send hate mail ).

She was sitting stationary in the road, waiting for the person in front of her to turn right, and Barbiegirl came hurtling up behind her at about 50mph/80kmh. She was talking on her mobile phone, and obviously didn't see my mum till the last minute.

The pictures say it pretty much... I'm hoping the car isn't written off, but it looks that way.

Observe the way the hatchback has actually been punctured...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obviously, the car is totally reparable. It's going to need some streching of the rear end of the chassis and a new back door, but that's the usual.
    If I were you, I'd try to benefit from that contact.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I hope your mum has no neck sufferings, the most common injury in such cases. And yes the car looks repairable, I don't think there is any structural before the rear wheel arches. From the looks of it she already slowed down quite a bit before impact.
    Is talking on the cell phone while driving allowed in the UK?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Those are my thoughs exactly

And I also think the car is repairable. Hope your mom is alright, my neighbour suffered a similar accident and had some neck trouble. I believe she wasn't able to work for almost 2 weeks
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I hope your mum has no neck sufferings, the most common injury in such cases. And yes the car looks repairable, I don't think there is any structural before the rear wheel arches. From the looks of it she already slowed down quite a bit before impact.
    Is talking on the cell phone while driving allowed in the UK?
    1) The pain started to really get underway about 2 days after it happened.
    2) It's the COST of the repair that deems if it's written off or not. Particularly after Honda's service charges.
    3) No, she really didn't. Police say skidmarks were around the 45mph area.
    4) Talking on a mobile is far from legal.

Obviously, the car is totally reparable. It's going to need some streching of the rear end of the chassis and a new back door, but that's the usual.
    Indeed,completely repairable. i have seen cars in worser shape being after an accident come out ok...

Maybe he gets a discount when buying Barbie's

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    3) No, she really didn't. Police say skidmarks were around the 45mph area.
    4) Talking on a mobile is far from legal.
    Wow, that girl has gotta be in some serious trouble then... I assume she will have to pay for the repair?
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

2) It's the COST of the repair that deems if it's written off or not. Particularly after Honda's service charges.
    Since BarbieGirl is the one to blame, and to pay, that's not a problem. Your mom can never have prejudice of any kind since it's not her fault.

Since BarbieGirl is the one to blame, and to pay, that's not a problem. Your mom can never have prejudice of any kind since it's not her fault.
    but this is not how car insurance works. If the car is worth less than the costs of the repairs, Barbie's insurance company will never pay more than the current value of the car. And trying to sue her for additional damage will result in high procedure costs. She will suffer from a significant increase in premiums and a hefty fine from the police for reckless driving I hope...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    but this is not how car insurance works. If the car is worth less than the costs of the repairs, Barbie's insurance company will never pay more than the current value of the car. And trying to sue her for additional damage will result in high procedure costs.
    Of course. But at least they have to pay a fair value. And it doesn't look like the repair is going to be expensive enough to justify a total loss. It could be hard to pay for the costs of suing insurance companies for unfair solutions, but most of the times it pays. When the value of the repair isn't higher than the current value of the car, her mum can always force the insurance company to repair it. Of course that, if you ask the company if that's how it works, they will say no.

If it's written off, we get "trade-in value".

The car sells for close to £4000 on a garage forecourt.

Privately, it sells for around the £3500 mark.

Trade-in value is £2500, so how are we meant to get a like-for-like Civic on that? We really like this car, I can only hope that the new parts and labour don't add up to more than that.

BarbieBitch's insurance have to pay up- she was on her parents' insurance (gutted at them...) and their premiums will now be pretty much screwed... as she wasn't a named driver.

As for the mobile phone thing, she's denying it, but my mum saw her talking on it as she zoomed up behind her. The police are currently matching the time of the incident with the outgoing calls from the phone company.

EDIT: And anyone who thinks I'd touch that thing with a shitty stick is mistaken... I have standards.

Another thing your mum can do ist to ask the insurance company to substitute the car for a n equivalent one. Model, year and condition. It's another thing noone forces insurers to do, but it is also possible.

Another thing your mum can do ist to ask the insurance company to substitute the car for a n equivalent one. Model, year and condition. It's another thing noone forces insurers to do, but it is also possible.
    I've come up with a Plan B

Mondeo ST24's and decent Civic VTi's sell for around £2500...

I've come up with a Plan B

Mondeo ST24's and decent Civic VTi's sell for around £2500...
    never give your mom more than 100 BHP....

dumb blondes theres loads at our college like her

Thread Information