Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari California (F149 & F149M) 2008-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I officially hate this car...
    if you received one today as a birthday present, I presume you would drive it straight into the Mediterranean...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    if you received one today as a birthday present, I presume you would drive it straight into the Mediterranean...
    let me now exactly where!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Amphiferrari...? I like the idea!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by AMGtech55 View Post
    That is one of the bst looking cars to come from Ferrari in recent years IMO
    Yeah, but that's like saying "that's the best-smelling shits i've ever taken."

I like the lights though, front and rear. Don't like the rest of the back, including the kink over the rear wheel (though this may look better with the roof on - it's nowhere near as nice as the 8C. Hopefully due to the packaging though). The wheels are also crap, along with them exhausts (which could look nice in some applications, but really don't here) as they make the rear bumper look hideous.

For the first time in years, this is a Ferrari i really wanted to like, and i really don't.

The 599's the only car in the current range i think is even remotely good looking. And even that's nowhere near as good looking as some rivals. I understand function-over-form, but this is one car where that wouldn't be the case, and it still doesn't look good.

I dunno. Ferrari's lately are too complicated. The 360 Modena looked really nice. And the F430 was nice too. But the 599 GTB and this is a bit weird. It's too complex, the shapes. They throw too much at you all at once. From the rear it's alright, but the front is strange.

Can't say I like it, can't say I hate it.

But will it have a proper manual option?
    It will have a "proper manual" offered as an option.

I don't used the term "real manual transmission" or "proper manual transmission" around my father because he once you go beyond a crashbox its all the same thing; synchromesh, SMG, F1, etc.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

EDIT: it will have the standard manual gearbox.

CONFIRM: nothing, a part from minor components, is shared with Maserati/Alfa Romeo projects, including the M139. only the first prototype shared the same underpinning with that car.

for as regard the shape, the lines, it is complicated, but not so heavy, imo, as the 430. the 599 has one only problem, is huge, but has a very fluent shape and and elegance silhouette, especially with dark colours (blue tour de france over all). these rendering/pics/photochops are nearly useless. it's like saying that the 8C is beautifull, true, but wait to find it in front of you. even if i am still waiting to see an 8C live, a lot of my classmates have seen it and all of them, even those who don't like for the more stupid reasons, are saying that is gorgeous 10x in the real world.
    maybe this car will sucks when it will be more "real", but up to now it's hard to say how it looks especially thinking of other cars we are used to since they already are on the streets, like the 599 for example.
    my "notes" about the design is that it as some cues from other cars, as someone said before, even in some details, as for the bonnet/headlights which remind me of the Spyker D12 Concept, or the general lateral shape, Lexus LF-A. the rear end and rear lights remind me of the Locus Pletore for the big exiting light, but i doubt it was a source of inspiration. thinking about the look with the hard-top closed, it should be something similar to the 575M's shape, AFAIK.
    i like it since it's not a conventional ferrari, with the 430 (or the Enzo) they started a new style of more aggressive cars, even if the 430 is a little too much. the Scuderia is in a way more sensible since it is declaredly extreme, but i prefer the 360 Challenge Stradale though. i am not totally mad for ferrari's current design, but it has some appeal that the preceding generation had but in a more "underground" way. the 360 was a little to "simple", the 550/575M at first glance were too much "flat" and the 456M wasn't a good restyling since it underlined the car's age. the 612 is probably a product of transition, i like it, i would buy it, but i recognize it demonstrate all its years, and it's ugly in red, i can assure you.
    but i will say it again, i need a real contact with the car and i need a real background for the pics. maybe it will come out to be an inappropriate design for a ferrari.

I'll have to reserve judgement till the roof goes up. but from what I see, it's not a "Special" looking car.

It's conventional Ferrari, if that makes sense
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    EDIT: it will have the standard manual gearbox.
    That's much better.

Now please, make Maseratis with a stick.

Thank you.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's much better.

Now please, make Maseratis with a stick.

Thank you.
    I once asked one of the top people at Maserati about a manual in a Quattroporte and he looked at me like I had two heads.

I'm sorry to say it but I suspect within the next fifteen years you will see the clutch pedal go the way of the non-syncho gearbox.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I'm sorry to say it but I suspect within the next fifteen years you will see the clutch pedal go the way of the non-syncho gearbox.
    I'd like to think that the demand from enthusiasts will keep it in cars, but i'm not sure that's enough.

I once asked one of the top people at Maserati about a manual in a Quattroporte and he looked at me like I had two heads.

You think Porsche will scrap manual transmissions on their hardcore track oriented offerings like the GT3, or supercars like the CGT? They have remained pretty dedicated to manual transmissions for their more hardcore offerings if I am not mistaken.

Benz or Ferrari on the other hand I could see completely doing away with manual transmissions though I am not to sure even this will happen.

Of course, track toys will likely still be manual as well, so all hope is not lost.

you must remember that all the fake sequential gearbox like the F1 or the Cambiocorsa (they are the same...) or the SMG or whatever are actually a standard manual gearbox with automated movements and mechanisms. they are not automatic gearbox like those of the Benzs or the Tiptronic from VW&Co. so, if they will continue to use those electro actuated manual gearbox, there is no reason to not offer the pure manual. while, the DSG type is a whole another kind, like an automatic one, so the more the DSGs are spreading, the less the manual are developed -> offered, one day. Ferrari has already "frozen" the development of the manual some years ago since they sell nearly 90% of F1 equipped cars, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You think Porsche will scrap manual transmissions on their hardcore track oriented offerings like the GT3, or supercars like the CGT? They have remained pretty dedicated to manual transmissions for their more hardcore offerings if I am not mistaken.

Benz or Ferrari on the other hand I could see completely doing away with manual transmissions though I am not to sure even this will happen.

Of course, track toys will likely still be manual as well, so all hope is not lost.
    I think once Porsche begins offering a real alternative to manuals instead of just their crappy chick-tronic, the number of Posches sold with clutches with drop to between 10 and 20%. In terms of track toys the clutch will stick around for a while longer but just as double-clutching faded so too will clutches in general.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    you must remember that all the fake sequential gearbox like the F1 or the Cambiocorsa (they are the same...) or the SMG or whatever are actually a standard manual gearbox with automated movements and mechanisms. they are not automatic gearbox like those of the Benzs or the Tiptronic from VW&Co. so, if they will continue to use those electro actuated manual gearbox, there is no reason to not offer the pure manual. while, the DSG type is a whole another kind, like an automatic one, so the more the DSGs are spreading, the less the manual are developed -> offered, one day. Ferrari has already "frozen" the development of the manual some years ago since they sell nearly 90% of F1 equipped cars, IIRC
    Exactly. Believe me, few will cry harder that the pedal clutch's funeral, but the poor thing's days are numbered.

Exactly. Believe me, few will cry harder that the pedal clutch's funeral, but the poor thing's days are numbered.
    So basically buy a car with one as soon as you can...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information