Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1311

Thread: What Game Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    So I 100%'d Dirt3 and finished inFamous. I guess it's time to start on Little Big Planet. I was going to dedicate this entire Winter break to GT5 by buying and modifying a Toyobaru86, but I left it at home. Oh well, I did most of the fun, non-endurance races anyways. At this point I was just grinding races to feed my car habit. At least I can finally swap on aftermarket wheels on my Group A-spec Civic SiR.

I'm tempted to buy Skyrim for the PS3 but a lack of funds and the glitching is worrisome.
    inFamous was great, I haven't played through the evil side, but it was cool that it was free.

The Toyota is great, although I'm curious why they didn't unveil a Subaru version as well. Even if it is the same car, they'll still be sold at the same time.

I've been playing Skyrim. That game is crack.. still have 3 unopened games on my desk because Skyrim hasn't left my disc tray.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I've been playing Skyrim. That game is crack.. still have 3 unopened games on my desk because Skyrim hasn't left my disc tray.
    Heard it was good, but I also heard the combat isn't so great. In any event, I'd have to buy the PS3 version, as my PC is not up to snuff and I don't have an XBox.

Slightly wary as there are known bugs in the PS3 one.

If the Metal Gear story line is convoluted, the Assassin's Creed story line is equally convoluted- I haven't a clue what's going on, even after reading up on it online.

I don't think I'll be buying #4, although I did enjoy Brotherhood for the ancient bits and the stealth.

However, I have to say, the stealth is not on par with say, a Metal Gear game. The AI is pretty stupid and you can get by with sheer dumb luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Heard it was good, but I also heard the combat isn't so great. In any event, I'd have to buy the PS3 version, as my PC is not up to snuff and I don't have an XBox.

Slightly wary as there are known bugs in the PS3 one.

If the Metal Gear story line is convoluted, the Assassin's Creed story line is equally convoluted- I haven't a clue what's going on, even after reading up on it online.

I don't think I'll be buying #4, although I did enjoy Brotherhood for the ancient bits and the stealth.

However, I have to say, the stealth is not on par with say, a Metal Gear game. The AI is pretty stupid and you can get by with sheer dumb luck.
    I haven't experienced any kind of combat glitches. It's all worked really well, but I have it on XBOX and haven't touched it on PS3. Occasionally an enemy will get stuck behind a tree or something but that's about it, and very rare at that.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Mario on Wii
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I only play old school shoot em ups where reflexes count. Frustratingly hard games which make your thumbs hurt, but keep you coming back for more.

The story often puts you as a player in a single spacecraft, destroying a complete army of invaders. But the story does not count of course, it is the detailed destruction that does. Mastering such a game on standard difficulty and only using one credit is a rewarding experience.

My favourites games are : Einhander, R-Type Delta and Raiden DX (PS1), Apidya and Turrican II (Amiga) and arcade shooters like Battle Bakraid and Cyvern on Arcade (MAME).

I enjoyed the Virtual Console shooters on the Wii as well, but the modern titles don't do that much for me. Basically the genre has died today, but luckily there are dozens of old games remaining which literally can keep you going for years.

Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS), Battle Gear 4 Tuned 2010 (Arcade) and Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting (Sony PSP).
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I only play old school shoot em ups where reflexes count. Frustratingly hard games which make your thumbs hurt, but keep you coming back for more.

The story often puts you as a player in a single spacecraft, destroying a complete army of invaders. But the story does not count of course, it is the detailed destruction that does. Mastering such a game on standard difficulty and only using one credit is a rewarding experience.

My favourites games are : Einhander, R-Type Delta and Raiden DX (PS1), Apidya and Turrican II (Amiga) and arcade shooters like Battle Bakraid and Cyvern on Arcade (MAME).

I enjoyed the Virtual Console shooters on the Wii as well, but the modern titles don't do that much for me. Basically the genre has died today, but luckily there are dozens of old games remaining which literally can keep you going for years.
    I would love to get Doom II, Star Wars: Dark Forces, and of course Duke Nukem...

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I would love to get Doom II, Star Wars: Dark Forces, and of course Duke Nukem...
    Doom 2 is definitely on Steam, not sure about Dark Forces. Which Duke Nukem are you after? 3D is on XBLA I think, and I'm pretty sure the platformers and 3D are on Good Old Games, which is probably the best place to find old PC games.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Damn none seem to work on Mac. Saw Fallout 2 on GOG which is another all-time fav of mine but once again was for Windows only

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I don't know the game Star Wars, but Doom and Duke Nukem are not considered as the genre "shoot em up". These are first person shooters, as viewed through the eyes of the player. Another example is the Halo series.

The games I am referring too are the games where the player controls a spaceship/plane/helicopter and the scrolling of the game is fixed (either horizontally or vertically). Simple yet fun IMO.

Nowadays the genres are often confused and the release of "oldschool" shoot em ups is minimal. It is a dying breed in fact, which really is a shame IMO. The classics really raise your adrenaline level (and sometimes blood pressure)

As said before, I don't care too much about modern games.

Actually the original Duke Nukem and its sequel are platformers. Duke 3D is the FPS, or 'Doom clone' as they were often known as back in the day.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Ah OK :-)

OK...what's the difference between "shoot 'em up", an FPS, and a platformer?

A shoot em' up is a game like Space Invaders where all you do is...shoot.

A FPS is like Call of Duty - you run as though you, (insert character name) are actually a living, breathing character. Yes, you'll shoot but you can run and go do other things like open doors.

Super Mario is a platformer - you...jump over things and across platforms. (or at least according to Wikipedia)

Speaking of CoD, MW3 has a really short story mode. Seriously. I beat it on regular in less than six hours and I've already breezed through most of Act 1 on Veteran on my second go.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information