Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 "Lotus" F1 Rear Suspension

2010 "Lotus" F1 Rear Suspension

The latest incarnation of what used to be Team Lotus, has revealed next year's F1 contender

Let me comment beforehand, that this team Lotus has no affiliation with the historic team. Today's owners, a partnership between the Malaysian Government and a consortium of Malaysian entrepreneurs, have just bought the brand name from its previous owner.

Most of the members would have already seen the photos

Lotus F1 Car Photo

The reason I am posting this is for the design of the rear wishbones. The wishbones are mounted in such a way, that the wheelbase will be different as the suspension moves up/down.

Has this happened in any other F1 cars in the past?
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I think you'd have to see the exact mounting points to see how it'd function. You can't really see how far forward the front of the wishbones are mounted.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    I feel an appeal from other teams coming on.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

As said, its difficult to make judgements without close up pictures to see how they are mounted. The rear of the wishbone is indeed at an angle rather than striaight with the car. I am not sure how this would affect the car without seeing how it is mounted.

It is important to remember that the suspension travel is extremely minimal, so any change in rear wheelbase from such a system would be tiny. In any case I can't see how the driveshafts would be able to 'flex' to size.

Can't remember seeing a car having is suspension like this, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 10-16-2009 at 02:15 AM.

I would like to point out that this is a wind tunnel test car. It's not by any means a functional design since Lotus have said they expect to reveal their actual car mid February.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Nothing of real interest at Lotus F1 Racing

Intersting as by movign the mounting points, they've really cleaned up airflow to the rear and the wing.
    Also, it's goign to be heavily debated as to whether it's a movable aerodynamic device with the angle of attach it present s to the airflow

As already stated, without seeing where it mounts and the rest of it, it's impossible to say what it does. Concur with the comment though that movement in F1 is so little that it's fairly academic -- does suggest it will hav increased camber on compression which is good.

Re the driveshafts coping, they already cope with the movement up and down, so a similar amount back to front would be managed. But can see no benefit to the handling and only problems for the driver
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-16-2009 at 02:44 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Let me comment beforehand, that this team Lotus has no affiliation with the historic team. Today's owners, a partnership between the Malaysian Government and a consortium of Malaysian entrepreneurs, have just bought the brand name from its previous owner.
    Actually, as the Malaysian Givernment (trough Proton) owns the Group Lotus Plc, the are much more related to the original Lotus team than the guy, David Hunt, who owns the "Team Lotus" brand name.

Indeed the are called "Lotus F1 Racing".
    You may be confusing them with the ex-F3 English team Litespeed who applied the first time to enter F1 using the "Team Lotus" name. At that time, Group Lotus plc officially distanced themselves from the new team, something that this time isn' happening at all, as they actually are Lotus.
    To be precise, they own Lotus, as the only point of Lotus to be involved in the new team is Mike Gascoigne.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Actually, as the Malaysian Givernment (trough Proton) owns the Group Lotus Plc, the are much more related to the original Lotus team than the guy, David Hunt, who owns the "Team Lotus" brand name.

Indeed the are called "Lotus F1 Racing".
    You may be confusing them with the ex-F3 English team Litespeed who applied the first time to enter F1 using the "Team Lotus" name. At that time, Group Lotus plc officially distanced themselves from the new team, something that this time isn' happening at all, as they actually are Lotus.
    To be precise, they own Lotus, as the only point of Lotus to be involved in the new team is Mike Gascoigne.
    Plus of course the current development is happening in sunny Norfolk although it will be moved to a purpose built facility at the Malaysian circuit at a later date.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Some time ago I have found a painted scale model of next year's Lotus, but now lost the link. It was painted in Malaysian flag colors mostly, as far as I remember. Did anyone succeed to stumble upon it as well?

was it this?

lol at painted suspensions.

was it this?

lol at painted suspensions.
    I hope the new Lotus doesn't look anything like that...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hmmm, you are probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    But can see no benefit to the handling and only problems for the driver
    I would have thought (having no technical background on the topic) that the increased length of the wishbones would offer an improvement in handling. But the supposed altering wheelbase would result in handling compromises

Hmmm, you are probably right.
    Don't worry, I was confused as well at first.

the increased length of the wishbones would offer an improvement in handling.
    I was on the variable wheelbase issue.
    Re the length iself, it's a compromise. Longer usually means less angular change and the benefit you identify, BUT at the cost of more weight to make them strong enough and less rigidty and packagng difficulties.
    But the supposed altering wheelbase would result in handling compromises
    Anything that alters the geometry of a race car is n issue. Each time it moves the driver has to adjust their line/hrottle/braking. Look at the mes KERS has caused
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-16-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information