Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac XTS 2012-

Cadillac XTS 2012-

The Cadillac XTS is a full-size luxury sedan from the Cadillac brand of General Motors. It is based on an enlarged version of the Epsilon II platform. The XTS replaces both the Cadillac STS and DTS, despite being slightly smaller. It began production in May 2012 at the Oshawa Assembly Plant and launched in June. The XTS is available with both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.

For the Chinese market, the Cadillac XTS is being assembled by Shanghai GM. Production began in February 2013. In addition to the LFX 3.6 V6, Cadillac XTS also comes with an LTG 2.0 turbo engine in the Chinese market. In the Chinese market, the Cadillac XTS with an LFX 3.6 V6 engine is called XTS 36S, and the version with LTG 2.0 turbo engine is called XTS 28T. This vehicle may be partially marketed in Europe, though the only LWB car based on the Epsilon II platform sold in Europe was Saab 9-5 which ceased production in 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 09-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Don't like it, kinda too Buicky

That. Is. Horrid.

And then, there's the Ciel...
    Visca Catalunya!

Better than DTS.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

"Futuristic" looking but not my cup of tea.
    "When travelling down the freeway, the first bug to hit a clean windshield will always land directly in front of the driver's face."

I think it looks fantastic.

Cadillac XTS: Lord Vader, your cool uncle's luxury sedan has arrived

More pics....

Not sure what I stand on it as a whole....granted its still better than the DTS, but the super high belt line and the long overhang is a bit odd...sorta like the Taurus....

I think it looks too tall...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Harley Earl may just have been onto something with the whole "longer, lower, wider" design philosophy. I agree with RM, I think it resembles a Sprinter van. The cabin appears to take up about 85% of the total length, which just looks wrong; a Cadillac should be 70% hood, 70% cabin, and 60% trunk. Working with those atrocious proportions, the detailing isn't horrible, but it isn't great either.

I didn't like the first-generation Art & Science cars, they were too angular, but I felt that the second-generation CTS achieved a nice balance between angles and curves. This continues on the curvy path to a fault; it just looks gloopy and sagging.

The interior is nice, but a bit tacky (as are all luxo barges', in my opinion).

So... render me unimpressed, this doesn't appear to be the Cadillac of luxury rides.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Too cab forward for today...no like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Too cab forward for today...no like.
    Cab forward, thats the word...

Yea, for an age when now all the passenger car Caddy are RWD, and styled proportionally, this is more reminder of the older FWD styling of the Caddy...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think in the end this car will be a replacement for the DTS and that alone. It's a market that make sense for the US but probably for few other countries. Take Lexus as an example. They currently have a lineup that follows the German model of three progressively larger sedans (IS, GS, LS). However, they also have the ES3x0 which is based on the Camry and sells well to what might be in the US thought of as traditional luxury buyers. Traditional American luxury cars were about comfort and quite, not Autobahn speed and such. Lexus does well in the US in part because they understood that not all American luxury buyers want the German version of luxury. Those traditional large American sedans sold well here because the actually work well here.

I think GM also saw that they needed a livery car for the US. The DTS is the current livery car. Its decent enough but old and by today's standards it's not luxurious enough (though the ride is smooth and quite). This car again takes that place.

Does it make sense to have the XTS in the line up? Well I'm not sure. The German model lineup is well focused. It's the sort of product focus that has helped make Apple a success and in the past made GM and Cadillac in particular a success. The XTS, like the DTS seems to be a neither fish nor fowl. It's not as nice as the other large luxury cars but it doesn't cost anywhere near what they cost.

The other problem I have is the name. Personally I hate that Caddy has moved away from real names. The lack of real names is something that I hate about most Euro makes as well as the Japanese luxury makes. Real names are good! But with a name like XTS you might think the XTS is the Xtreme luxury car from Caddy. Nope. It's supposed to be priced along side the current CTS... Well then what is the new top end car? Why not just name this one DTS?

I thought this is supposed to BE the DTS, which is NOT a ES equivalent, considering Deville was Cadillac's flagship sedan(DTS I believe was standing for Deville Touring Sedan). DTS was meant to compete with the top line cars, not parallel to CTS, which is more of a 5 series/E-class car.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I think in the end this car will be a replacement for the DTS and that alone. It's a market that make sense for the US but probably for few other countries. Take Lexus as an example. They currently have a lineup that follows the German model of three progressively larger sedans (IS, GS, LS). However, they also have the ES3x0 which is based on the Camry and sells well to what might be in the US thought of as traditional luxury buyers. Traditional American luxury cars were about comfort and quite, not Autobahn speed and such. Lexus does well in the US in part because they understood that not all American luxury buyers want the German version of luxury. Those traditional large American sedans sold well here because the actually work well here.

I think GM also saw that they needed a livery car for the US. The DTS is the current livery car. Its decent enough but old and by today's standards it's not luxurious enough (though the ride is smooth and quite). This car again takes that place.

Does it make sense to have the XTS in the line up? Well I'm not sure. The German model lineup is well focused. It's the sort of product focus that has helped make Apple a success and in the past made GM and Cadillac in particular a success. The XTS, like the DTS seems to be a neither fish nor fowl. It's not as nice as the other large luxury cars but it doesn't cost anywhere near what they cost.

The other problem I have is the name. Personally I hate that Caddy has moved away from real names. The lack of real names is something that I hate about most Euro makes as well as the Japanese luxury makes. Real names are good! But with a name like XTS you might think the XTS is the Xtreme luxury car from Caddy. Nope. It's supposed to be priced along side the current CTS... Well then what is the new top end car? Why not just name this one DTS?
    This pretty much sums it up nicely.

Which is why world cars are simply a preposterous idea.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Which is why world cars are simply a preposterous idea.
    I think sales of the luxury European cars means its entirely feasible idea. For a basic need car yes, different part of the world has different driving pattern, and it'll be damn hard making one size fits all. But historically speaking that seems more or less not applicable to Luxury cars. 3, 5 or 7 sold well wherever they are...generates the same desire for the well to do to own them regardless if they are really suited to their market segment....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information