Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shift 2

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The first and fifth NFSes are still the best. Shift 1 was ok, much more realistic that any of the other later ones but it didn't grab me. For youse that want something more real than usual NFS it's probably worth grabbing the demo when it appears, just for shitzengiggles.
    Pretty much agreed. NFS 5 still remains my favorite, and I'd take it over the newer NFS releases even today.

And NFS 3 is still the real "Hot Pursuit". There's just something about the older NFS games that the new ones can't seem to capture. Doesn't necessarily make them bad games though....just not as good as the old ones IMO.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Loads of new screenies....some interesting race version concepts.

Need for Speed Shift 2 Sim Racing News

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=929UZ6Nq-hk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=929UZ6Nq-hk[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79dZWILitE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79dZWILitE[/ame]
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

The ingame sounds are amazing.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Got this over the weekend. I've only played a little bit as I'm supposed to be wriitng an essay!
    I completed the first race but then spent a bit of time trying to get my wheel working a bit better... watch this space.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

I ordered it and waiting for it to arrive....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

These guys still need to learn the difference between how an in-car camera reacts to driving dynamics......and how the human eye (of the actual driver) reacts to driving dynamics.

Still, looks very visceral. Not sure how well the physics hold up. I've heard some ppl say that its uber realistic.....and others say that it's still way too arcadish.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

I am holding out on actually playing it. Though what I fear is that I am getting the PS3 version, while it should support my G25, I am afraid that the default wheel setup of the console will ultimately let the FFB down. On PC its typically tweakable beyond the intent of the game....

My PC really isn't suitable for newer games anymore...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Its.. Shit.

Going to trade it in as soon as I play around with the tuning side a bit more.

Have two different physics models for race/drift which shits me to no end. Its actually impossible to drive in a straight line in the drift mode.

Sounds are awesome, Graphically its amazing, the race physics are fairly good (get sensation of grip etc) and helmet cam is a boon.

As a drifting fan I'm let down by the two seperate modes to pander to the retards that don't want to knuckle down and learn how to drift in a "real" way. (its just floor it and turn out of the skid) and you win races. So stupid.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

oh nice...so if I don't play in drift mode I am ok then....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Is the game any better on a wheel? I was playing it with my roommate's xBox PC pad and every car felt like a twitchy mother. Even with the settings cranked down the R32 I was driving felt like it was going to potentially fly off the road. Of course, this is an unfamiliar car in an unknown state of tune, but it's completely the opposite of the GT-series R32s I've driven. Hell, even a real car isn't this jerky.

I do like the crash physics though. Those completely blow away any racing game save for those powered by Codemasters' Ego engine.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Shift 1 was like that, you can't go straight with a Pad for the life of me....I tried it on G25 and it was better...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Spent the last few hours playing it, took a while to find a setting to use the G25 in somewhat serviceable feel. The feedback is inconsistent I find, very loose on center, ok in corner but the drop off is way too abrupt. I can't drive the car very precisely, timing between my input and the car is also slightly out of sync. With slower car(I use a MKV GTI, lol) you can kinda will it and it will respond, also with lots of foot pedal manipulation. With some of the edgier, faster cars though, the loose-ness is PITA to deal with as you can't feel "straight ahead" and you are correcting based on the visual and with cars like Elise or something its very easy to miss your line a tad and find yourself braking with one wheel on grass or something. The event structure and layout is ok and the racing itself is somewhat interesting, better AI than GT5, but hard to race them wheel to wheel with the loose control. You hit them they will punt you out....

The upgrade system is pretty in depth and seems to have a full suite of setup option, though the menu is very convoluted, and I can't use my controller in the menu and wheel in the race, I have to pick an input device and stick with it. G25 really doesn't work that well as a PS3 controller....

Graphics is only so so. In GT5 or even Forza they strive for more of a photo realistic look, this game still looks like a NFS game, with all the associated shine and unnatural look. Feels like a game from a few years ago....The track selection is pretty good and I wonder if the vast collection of track from GTR had something to do with it(Slight Mad was a bunch of ex-Simbin guys), but the track themselves don't look that nice. The effects are nice, but still kinda fake looking. Sound is great though. The engine have real bark to it, and convey good sense of immersion with 5.1 sound....

Will probably keep the game and play it for a bit for some different experience with GT5. All in all though this is still a game made for the ADD generation, not really a true racing game, but can be fun at times...but throwing a car in GT5 around Nordschleife, or 4 wheel drifting a car in GT Legend on PC are still ultimate more fun and rewarding to me....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Agreed, I think I'll keep it just to race around Bathurst.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'd also agree. With faster cars there is some massive lag around the centre. On slower cars (even up to the E90 M3) the feel is quite good but any faster and its tricky. The racing is fun and all in all quite a good game, better than Hot Pursuit was anyway!
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Thread Information