Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Toyota GT86 - OFFICIAL PICTURES & INFO

In a world where Miatas start at $23,500, that doesn't seem too steep. Also the Roadster in Japan costs $29,975 so the cars do get a little cheaper when they cross the Pacific. The forum post that I got the Roadster's price from predicted a starting value of $24,000 for the most basic FR-S.
    That seems a fair premium over the Miata for the marginally-improved utility and extra power.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Hmm, for around $26 grand you could also get a Subaru Impreza WRX no?

I remember when the STi used to sell at just under $30 grand.

Ah, those were the days.

Better utility and faster in a straight line or just pure balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The Genesis Coupe is too large. I assume it is related to the Sedan.
    Then I think you've misunderstood the car. - It has full-size rear seats and is a rival to the Audi A5, BMW 3-Series Coupé, Infiniti G37 Coupé and Mercedes C-Class Coupé, rather than a rival to the GT86 / BRZ which has rear seats that are only suitable for short journeys, luggage or children.

In terms of vehicle mass and interior space, the 'Toyobaru' sits between the Mazda MX-5 and the BMW 1-Series Coupé. The main things it brings to the table IMO are the fact that it's a sporty coupé with enough practicality to be a daily driver for those without a gaggle of kids to cart around and that's affordable by a much greater proportion of new car buyers in terms of running costs etc. than say a 370Z or Cayman.

It's a sporty RWD car that those in their twenties or thirties can afford to run for roughly the same outlay as a nondescript petrol hatchback. In short; if I had the readies to be able to afford a new car in the next year or so, It'd be a top contender.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Then I think you've misunderstood the car. - It has full-size rear seats and is a rival to the Audi A5, BMW 3-Series Coupé, Infiniti G37 Coupé and Mercedes C-Class Coupé, rather than a rival to the GT86 / BRZ which has rear seats that are only suitable for short journeys, luggage or children.

In terms of vehicle mass and interior space, the 'Toyobaru' sits between the Mazda MX-5 and the BMW 1-Series Coupé. The main things it brings to the table IMO are the fact that it's a sporty coupé with enough practicality to be a daily driver for those without a gaggle of kids to cart around and that's affordable by a much greater proportion of new car buyers in terms of running costs etc. than say a 370Z or Cayman.

It's a sporty RWD car that those in their twenties or thirties can afford to run for roughly the same outlay as a nondescript petrol hatchback. In short; if I had the readies to be able to afford a new car in the next year or so, It'd be a top contender.
    I think he was referring to the coupe. I don't think the Genesis coupe is anywhere near the A5 and G37 coupe, etc. equipment wise.

Size and power wise, maybe. But it's not their competitor. It's more of an Asian edition of a Camaro V6 and Mustang V6. It's nowhere near as luxurious as it needs to be to compete with the Germans.

Or really fast enough....the new R spec might solve that...

From magazine scribe testing, and from friends who works in powertrain testing industries, Hyundai/Kia's on paper spec leaves a lot to be desired in real world performance....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I think he was referring to the coupe. I don't think the Genesis coupe is anywhere near the A5 and G37 coupe, etc. equipment wise.

Size and power wise, maybe. But it's not their competitor. It's more of an Asian edition of a Camaro V6 and Mustang V6. It's nowhere near as luxurious as it needs to be to compete with the Germans.
    In Europe it competes with the smaller-engined versions of the German cars, countering it's perceived "lack of luxury" with lower price. - Mustangs and Camaros don't sell well here due to their massive thirst for unleaded.

I'd definitely rather have a Genesis (either engine) than a base-model FWD Audi A5 (they come with 1.8T 170ps petrol engines in Europe).

I kinda doubt the Genesis gets any better mileage than the 6 banger pony cars though....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The price for FR-S is out, $24,200 start....

A bit higher than I had hoped, especially the BR-Z is still slated for $25,000 something, with supposed more loaded base trim...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I kinda doubt the Genesis gets any better mileage than the 6 banger pony cars though....
    Maybe not...but you CAN'T buy a 6-cylinder Mustang, can you?

...unless you're a hairdresser.

In all seriousness, the best-selling Genesis in Europe will be the four-cylinder. The extra running costs of a six are too much for the majority.

I dunno, 300 horsepower is plenty for a hairdresser's car...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It is ok now. The old Cologne was unacceptable, but the Duratec 37 is fine.

Most Genesis Coupes I see here are the I4Ts.

While there is a V8 available, I cannot see myself getting the six-cylindered version. It'd be like getting a Miata or a BRZ with an automatic(I've heard very good things about the Toyobaru's AT); even if it's "as good", it isn't.

I thought the FT86R-S was gonna be around 30k in the US. So it is less less than I thought it would be, which is good, but still a bit higher than ideal, which I would chalk up to the Yen.

The question on everyone's mind is: how much will it be in Canada?

34.2 x 10^54 Planck Monies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I thought the FT86R-S was gonna be around 30k in the US. So it is less less than I thought it would be, which is good, but still a bit higher than ideal, which I would chalk up to the Yen.

The question on everyone's mind is: how much will it be in Canada?
    Probably 30k...How much is Miata in Canada?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information