Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jaguar D-Type 1954-1956 and 2018

D-Type #19
    Attached Images Attached Images

JAGUAR RESTARTS PRODUCTION OF LEGENDARY D-TYPE RACE CAR

7 February 2018

Jaguar Classic is re-starting production of the iconic D-type race car in Coventry, 62 years after the last example was built in 1956. The first Jaguar D-type to be assembled by Jaguar Classic, an engineering prototype, will make its world debut at the Salon Retromobile show in Paris this week.

• Jaguar has built its first ‘new’ D-type racing car in more than 60 years
    • 25 cars will be hand-built at Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works in Warwickshire, UK
    • Shortnose and Longnose bodywork derivatives will be created according to client preference
    • First D-type created by Jaguar Classic will be unveiled at Salon Retromobile on 7 February
    • Customer enquiries for Jaguar Classic vehicles should be made using: +44 (0)203 601 1255 or [email protected]

Just 25 new examples of the D-type will be meticulously hand-built at Jaguar Land Rover Classic Works in Warwickshire. In 1955 Jaguar planned to build 100 D-types. With only 75 completed, Jaguar Classic is now fulfilling the company’s original ambition by creating 25 all-new, period-correct sports cars.
    The D-type, which won the Le Mans 24 Hours race three times between 1955 and 1957, was powered by the six-cylinder XK engine. Every aspect of the D-types built for clients from 2018 will be created to authentic, original specification.

D-Type #21

D-Type #22
    Attached Images Attached Images

If 100 were the intention what was the story with the XKSS again?

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    Perhaps the 3 Litre formula, valid as of 1-1-1958?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The 25 XKSS’s were supposed to be made from left over parts of the D-Type.
    Only 16 were made in 1957 because a fire destroyed 9 cars.
    In 2016 they started rebuilding the 9 XKSS’s, and now the just build 25 D-Type’s because it’s profitable. Probably

Couldn't sell D-types so made a road-ster of 'em, couldn't finish that due to fire (Brown's Lane?) but can 'sanction' both 9 XKSSs and 25 D-Types? Just seems cynical, having it both ways or something ...

Couldn't sell D-types so made a road-ster of 'em, couldn't finish that due to fire (Brown's Lane?) but can 'sanction' both 9 XKSSs and 25 D-Types? Just seems cynical, having it both ways or something ...
    as I said, the new engine rules made the D-Type obsolete. So they could not be sold any more to privateers. I am not a fan of the new cars, as they will surely enter historic races, certainly in the UK, in the hands of people who may have a genuine one, which will be left at home.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Can't blame Tata making the most heritage halo they can out of expensive intellectual property, I suppose. While these (and the refurbed Defenders) aren't made by the robots in Pudong they will probably help to sell what will be.
    I would be happy, very happy, if PSA does something similar though...
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 02-09-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Thread Information