Thread: Renault Talisman 2015-

Renault Talisman 2015-

Renault's new answer to the D-segment battle #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It is the first time since 1965 that Renault won't have a large hatchback in its line-up #2
    Visca Catalunya!

Even if it does resemble the Nissan Altima from some angles, it is actually based on the smaller CMF platform (which underpins vehicles like the Nissan Qashqai) #3
    Visca Catalunya!

There is, of course, an estate version too #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Together with the new Espace, the Talisman débuts the new super-luxury Initiale Paris trim level #5
    Visca Catalunya!

There are three diesel engines available (110bhp, 130bhp and 160bhp) and two petrols (150bhp and 200bhp). All have four cylinders and are turbocharged #6
    Visca Catalunya!

Because this is the car I take to my private jet's hangar.

Watch out, boy, I've got fax coming your way! The internet tells me so.
    Ludacris Still Drives His '93 Acura From Before He Was Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Jalopnik Commenter
    Interesting that it's parked in front of his jet. I used to work as a line guy at an FBO in Atlanta and most people with private jet access, whether their own jet or a NetJets account, have dumpy/old beaters for their airport cars. Who wants to leave a $250,000 Bentley in a parking lot for two weeks? ... [Most] people with money and sense roll incognito. That guy getting onto a G-V or Global Express is more likely to have shown up in a '98 Corolla than a brand new Jaaaaaaag.
    FBO is fixed-base operator. They're where you find the secondary and tertiary support guys at airports who aren't necessarily direct airport, airline, or government/security employees.

I do agree that the juxtaposition is not a flattering one for the Renault; car advertising and press releases long ago reach peak-aspiration. I realize that a lot of advertising, is, by design, meaningless drivel meant to part the unwashed masses from their hard-earned Euroes, but this is ridiculous. To suggest any kinship between a "D-segment" Renault and aviation is either absurd or incorrect. This attitude is endemic. Buying a Morgan Three-Wheeler does not mean turn trip to get groceries into barnstorming in a Stearman, hitting boost in your Saab is not equivalent to going full-reheat in a Viper (née Fighting Falcon), suggesting that antebellum European racers were an adequate hero proxy for the wartime pilots of ten years prior is contemptible, and the original Mustang had independent rear suspension because it only had one tailwheel...

It isn't just aviation; I would hazard that Denalis are conspcuously-absent from that mountain's slopes and Chevy Monte Carlos in that principality's streets. At least Hyundai aimed low with the Tucson... However, I think that the parallels drawn with aviation so often ring false. The glamor, prestige, and speed of aircraft is obvious and facile marketing fodder, but I agree that Renault, and others, need to calm it down.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I don't think aviation has been as (truly) related with cars as it was in the inter-war years. In fact most of the racing drivers from that era were war-time pilots looking for something exciting to do while not being on war.

In any case picturing a large Renault estate is as meaningful to its customer base as picturing an SUV climbing the Kilimanjaro. Press pictures and advertising in general is mostly preposterous these days; the actual product and its merits are irrelevant; what really matters is selling an idea.

EDIT By the way, a Talisman Estate will most probably never see the light of private jet runway/hangar for two reasons. One, the aeroplane is nowhere near as popular/common in Europe as it is in the US and two this car is an Europe-only affair.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information