Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Fiesta (6th gen) 2008-

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Habit, maybe? Are you too used to looking at "the norm" and unwilling to consider anything else? That IS the problem that faces European cars/manufacturers that try to break in to the US market.
    I think it's the opposite; i think it's the knowledge that everybody will have one and its fresh new look (i really, really like the new design) will very quickly become the norm. I also love the Mazda 2 and this is very similar to that if we're honest, so it's not a case of unwillingness to consider anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The US will probably not get to the same fuel costs as Europe for a very long time. If you believe the naysayers, of course, "THE END IS NEIGH!11!, DRIVE HYBRID!!!1"
    True, it'll take a while because Americans generally aren't the pushovers Europeans are proving to be - the oil companies see an opportunity to crank the prices up using "diminishing" fossil fuel as an excuse, when in fact, a look at their profits tells us the true story.

Americans don't need cheap chunks of plastic and eleven billion cupholders, but what they WANT is a car thats practical to their conditions, and that means it needs to be fairly sizable to not only appeal to their ego...
    Appeal "to their ego"...? So you're saying that people over-compensating for other shortcomings (no pun intended!) with huge, lumbering dinosaurs are to be encouraged? IMO it's fine if someone wants an SUV - but not just because they want to bear down on other road users and use the car as a battering ram (SUV drivers are statistically 4-times more likely to be driving whilst using a handheld mobile phone, for example). I wouldn't want to tell people what they could and couldn't buy/drive, because no-one's going to do that to me, but many Americans seem especially excessive with their choices and there doesn't seem to be a good enough reason for it (most of them can't even claim to be car enthusiasts or interested in what they're driving, they just want something huge for the sake of bragging).

...but to their safety concious side (while small car manufacturers can be applauded for making little cars safe, you can't argue with a 4,000 pound truck smacking into you to ruin your day. And to top it off, the height of these vehicles often means they go right over the top of these smaller cars.
    OK, I recognise the point you're trying to make with reference to the "4,000lb truck", and yes - some of the vehicles on America's roads would make for an almighty headache in an accident with a "normal" car...although I actually don't think that these days there would be much difference in the end result of impacts between said truck and say Renault Clio and a Renault Megane (despite the cars being of different sizes). The reason? The latest-gen superminis ARE as safe as bigger cars - safer, in fact, than some of the older larger cars that are on the roads worldwide (I'd rather be the EURO NCAP dummy in the Peugeot 207's tests than the BMW E36 3-Series tests).

Secondly: Many new superminis are actually taller (go figure ) than the same manufacturer's larger cars, therefore if the hypothetical truck's going to go right over the top of them it would have gone right over the top of a "normal" sized car too.

I'm not saying it'll not fit the passengers in the car. I'm saying it's Physically not large enough to pass muster on American roads. Size matters
    Yeah, once again: You're right in what you say, that size does "matter" on American roads - but the point I'm trying to make is that it matters too much and for no good reason. It seems as though some people choose a huge truck just to compete with others, and that, you must admit, is a little ridiculous.

So let me get this straight. you're now comparing everything to your C4?
    I don't understand the reason for you making that comment, if I'm honest. I'll compare things to the C4 (or any other car and anything else) when relevant (why not?), just as I would do if I were looking to replace the C4 with something else. If something, from my point of view, isn't as "good" as what I have for whatever reason, I'll state that as the reason for me not wanting it. For example: I wouldn't want an iBook G3 because I have a PowerBook G4. If I've completely missed the point please say so though!

Small cars are getting larger. It's what the customer demands. More safety? More weight. More equipment? more weight. More Interior room? Make the car larger. Car manufacturers can't defy the laws of physics - you fit more in a car, it needs to get larger.
    Largely true, although it simply doesn't have to be that way. This generation of Fiesta could be one of the first to make a massive difference by bucking the 'supersize me' trend - and that's something to look forward to.

It's the sad reality and while Manufacturers like Mazda work smarter, not harder to make their cars lighter so as to be more efficient, other manufacturers choose to focus their efficiency drives elsewhere...It's an unfortunate trend thats symptomatic of the current "I Want everything" culture in buyers. The problem is, most manufacturers are willing to give it to them.
    Yeah, let's hope that Ford/Mazda are successful with their new small cars and that it'll prompt other manufacturers to follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    I think it's the opposite; i think it's the knowledge that everybody will have one and its fresh new look (i really, really like the new design) will very quickly become the norm. I also love the Mazda 2 and this is very similar to that if we're honest, so it's not a case of unwillingness to consider anything else...
    Yeah, good point. Just to clear things up: The purpose of the comment was really just to illustrate the kind of attitude that I find small minded. I wasn't trying to accuse you of being small-minded if my comment looked that way.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    True, it'll take a while because Americans generally aren't the pushovers Europeans are proving to be - the oil companies see an opportunity to crank the prices up using "diminishing" fossil fuel as an excuse, when in fact, a look at their profits tells us the true story.

I don't know about europeans but for the most part our Fuel's exorbitant pricing is a result of taxation.

The actual cost of oil, while it has risen, is not a complete blame for the price of oil.

And the US will likely invade another country instead of the dreaded "raising taxes" headline.

Appeal "to their ego"...? So you're saying that people over-compensating for other shortcomings (no pun intended!) with huge, lumbering dinosaurs are to be encouraged? IMO it's fine if someone wants an SUV - but not just because they want to bear down on other road users and use the car as a battering ram (SUV drivers are statistically 4-times more likely to be driving whilst using a handheld mobile phone, for example). I wouldn't want to tell people what they could and couldn't buy/drive, because no-one's going to do that to me, but many Americans seem especially excessive with their choices and there doesn't seem to be a good enough reason for it (most of them can't even claim to be car enthusiasts or interested in what they're driving, they just want something huge for the sake of bragging).

I am by no means telling people what to drive. I have a large sedan myself that technically I don't need but It's comfortable and does what it is intended to do.

The problem as i see it is that the popularity of such vehicles is based almost solely on a fashion and height aspect.

OK, I recognise the point you're trying to make with reference to the "4,000lb truck", and yes - some of the vehicles on America's roads would make for an almighty headache in an accident with a "normal" car...although I actually don't think that these days there would be much difference in the end result of impacts between said truck and say Renault Clio and a Renault Megane (despite the cars being of different sizes). The reason? The latest-gen superminis ARE as safe as bigger cars - safer, in fact, than some of the older larger cars that are on the roads worldwide (I'd rather be the EURO NCAP dummy in the Peugeot 207's tests than the BMW E36 3-Series tests).

I'm not doubting the new Fiesta's safety credentials when placed up against an offset crash barrier.

I'm doubting it wouldn't peel the hell open when pummelled by a Ford Excursion.

Secondly: Many new superminis are actually taller (go figure ) than the same manufacturer's larger cars, therefore if the hypothetical truck's going to go right over the top of them it would have gone right over the top of a "normal" sized car too.

We're not talking about a normal car. the Supermini is still lighter, generally more cheaply constructed and if you buy the poverty spec model not as safe as it could be.

Yeah, once again: You're right in what you say, that size does "matter" on American roads - but the point I'm trying to make is that it matters too much and for no good reason. It seems as though some people choose a huge truck just to compete with others, and that, you must admit, is a little ridiculous.

I agree that size is a big issue (no pun intended) but for the most part some of these large vehicles are used for large purposes. towing, construction etc.

And The competition is ridiculous. but by the same token aren't manufacturers of supermini's making their cars bigger as well?

I don't understand the reason for you making that comment, if I'm honest. I'll compare things to the C4 (or any other car and anything else) when relevant (why not?), just as I would do if I were looking to replace the C4 with something else. If something, from my point of view, isn't as "good" as what I have for whatever reason, I'll state that as the reason for me not wanting it. For example: I wouldn't want an iBook G3 because I have a PowerBook G4. If I've completely missed the point please say so though!

I just wouldn't want a mac

While this started as a throwaway remark, I must also comment that comparing this car to a car a class above it in size and cost is probably not the smartest idea either.

Largely true, although it simply doesn't have to be that way. This generation of Fiesta could be one of the first to make a massive difference by bucking the 'supersize me' trend - and that's something to look forward to.

Just by the photos and dimensions, thats not going to happen.

Rule number 1 of manufacturing: give the customer what they want.

At the moment, thats size with efficiency.

Yeah, let's hope that Ford/Mazda are successful with their new small cars and that it'll prompt other manufacturers to follow suit.

Ford aren't really known for starting trends. but I think the Mazda 2 is definately a step in the right direction. but it does require a concerted effort.

Yeah, good point. Just to clear things up: The purpose of the comment was really just to illustrate the kind of attitude that I find small minded. I wasn't trying to accuse you of being small-minded if my comment looked that way.
    No offence taken. most of this was sarcastic and throwaway commentary.

anything for a good verbal discussion
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

ALL-NEW FORD FIESTA TWINS MAKE DEBUT

New five-door model revealed with three-door twin at Geneva Motor Show
    Inspired from Verve Concept
    Due to hit British roads this autumn
    BRENTWOOD, Essex, 4 March, 2008 – You've seen the new three-door Fiesta, get ready to see its stylish five-door twin as the wraps come off today at the Geneva Motor Show.

Fun-loving and stylish, sensational and safe; Ford's all-new Fiestas are guaranteed to wow the crowds. Taking much of its exterior and interior design from the striking Verve Concept, the next generation of Britain's best-loved small car promises to shake up the supermini scene at its global premiere.

More than 12 million Fiesta models have been sold since its introduction in 1976, and the arrival of this latest Fiesta opens another chapter in the story of Ford’s most successful small car. Following the company’s ‘kinetic design’ philosophy introduced on all the latest models, the 2008 Fiesta marks a major leap forward in terms of style, craftsmanship, quality of materials and model choice.

The new five-door model will appear in Hot Magenta. The dimensions of the three- and five- door models are the same. The visual impact of the five- door is stunning because the kinetic styling has not been compromised. Three- and five- door models are equally popular with British buyers. Full technical details and UK specifications will be released closer to the launch of the production model in autumn 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

I don't know about europeans but for the most part our Fuel's exorbitant pricing is a result of taxation. The actual cost of oil, while it has risen, is not a complete blame for the price of oil. And the US will likely invade another country instead of the dreaded "raising taxes" headline.
    Yeah - UK prices are as much the fault of the government as the fuel companies...and my "pushover" comment was just intended to mean that IMO the British public really need to kick the government into touch regarding this. Nevertheless, I still find it infuriating that the profits of some of the fuel companies has risen grotesquely whilst we're paying USD $2.20-ish for a litre of diesel.

I am by no means telling people what to drive. I have a large sedan myself that technically I don't need but It's comfortable and does what it is intended to do.

The problem as i see it is that the popularity of such vehicles is based almost solely on a fashion and height aspect.
    Exactly what i was trying to say! The people buying the vehicles aren't even really interested in them anyway!

I'm not doubting the new Fiesta's safety credentials when placed up against an offset crash barrier.

I'm doubting it wouldn't peel the hell open when pummelled by a Ford Excursion.
    But then again...what wouldn't? A 10-15-year-old Merc S-class wouldn't fare as well as many modern cars if hit by an Excursion. Have you ever seen crash test footage showing an impact between a new car and one that's 15-years old?

We're not talking about a normal car. the Supermini is still lighter, generally more cheaply constructed and if you buy the poverty spec model not as safe as it could be.

I agree that size is a big issue (no pun intended) but for the most part some of these large vehicles are used for large purposes. towing, construction etc.

And The competition is ridiculous. but by the same token aren't manufacturers of supermini's making their cars bigger as well?
    Valid points in the most part. However, in the UK at least, even the poverty spec Fiesta will be almost as safe as the model at the top of the range (the probability is that it wont lose that much safety equipment to the higher models), and that a lot of the large vehicles that they could replace aren't used for towing/hauling/off-roading purposes anyway.

While this started as a throwaway remark, I must also comment that comparing this car to a car a class above it in size and cost is probably not the smartest idea either.
    OK, I understand - but I'd just like to point-out the fact that I wasn't comparing the Fiesta to the C4 as far as suggesting they'd be competing for the same buyers - I was just using examples of how cars are getting heavier generally...

Just by the photos and dimensions, thats not going to happen.
    Rule number 1 of manufacturing: give the customer what they want.
    At the moment, thats size with efficiency.

Ford aren't really known for starting trends. but I think the Mazda 2 is definately a step in the right direction. but it does require a concerted effort.
    ...but, but, wait...! The thing is: Ford ARE setting a trend! The new Fiesta will be based on the new Mazda 2, so will most probably be lighter than the model it replaces! Epic Win!

- When you think about it, it's actually quite an exciting prospect for the genuine car enthusiast: Even large, previously ignorant car manufacturers are taking notice of what WE want. That can only be a good thing.

anything for a good verbal discussion
    QFTMFT. Glad some people are actually capable of a mature discussion and are able to get over minor disagreements/problems etc. without resorting to trying to insult and offend each other.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Ford Fiesta Zetec S

BRENTWOOD, 15 July, 2008 – Fast Ford fans are set to celebrate the return of a sporty UK favourite - the exciting yet accessible Fiesta Zetec S.

Ford’s stylish new small car will offer a sports model from its UK launch this autumn, giving driving enthusiasts a new benchmark for affordable driving fun. It will also continue the "Zetec S" name, first introduced to the Fiesta in 1999.

Ford of Britain’s marketing director, Mark Ovenden, said: “Fiesta has always stood for fun and Zetec S delivers this with a capital ‘F’. Lively performance and sporty styling mean it looks great and goes as well as it looks.”

Looking sporty

Fiesta Zetec S adds a distinctive sporting flavour to the stylish sweeps and curves of all-new Fiesta.

On the outside are five-spoke, 16in alloy wheels, projector headlamps, front fog lamps, a deeper front bumper, side mouldings and a rear spoiler.

Inside, a leather steering wheel and bolstered sports seats continue that sports feel to appeal to driving enthusiasts, while the standard equipment list also addresses comfort and safety, with side airbags and air conditioning.

These sports interior details add to the ‘cockpit’ driving feel, created by a 30mm lower seating position than the previous-generation Fiesta, while Zetec S adds its own twist to the stylish Fiesta interior, with high contrast trim colours and designs inspired by snowboards.

Power to the people

Fiesta Zetec S lives up to its sporty credentials with an all-new, 120PS Duratec Ti-VCT engine, powerful enough to reach 62mph in 9.9sec and a top speed of 120mph. Lowered, tuned sports suspension helps new Fiesta Zetec S make the most of this power and maintain excellent dynamic response.

The responsive new Duratec Ti-VCT engine uses twin independent variable cam timing to provide the optimal balance of performance and fuel economy, so despite its feisty character and 20 extra horsepower, the new Duratec Ti-VCT is still uses less fuel and generates less CO2 than the 100PS, 1.6-litre engine from the previous Fiesta. It returns a combined fuel economy of 47.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 139g/km.

Fiesta Zetec S will also be available with a 1.6-litre 90PS Duratorq TDCi, providing a more relaxed driving character and even greater efficiency. The exceptionally flexible engine sips fuel at 67.3mpg, generating just 110g/km CO2. Even so, it develops 204 Nm torque from only 1,750 rpm and its mid-range performance is underlined by a 31-62mph time of just 9.9sec.

Autumn launch

The all-new Fiesta range will be launched in the UK in autumn 2008, with prices announced at the British International Motor Show on 22 July 2008.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

The more I see it the less I detest the styling, but those rear windows are just tiny, and make the rear wheels look very small too. No doubt it'll still sell well though, nice to see a diesel option for the Zetec S.

The engine is interesting. I wish it was available in the 2.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The standard one looks better, and it seems to me that the wheels need to be at least an inch bigger, but it's still a pretty nice car. Not amazing, but pretty nice.

I simply don't like it, it's...too much, something like the new Opel Corsa. Give me the Mazda 2.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Old one looked fine and was modern enough. This one almost looks a step back in styling.

Am I the only one who thinks the back lights look incredibly gumby?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

remove the badges, and I would say its the new Hyundai i10...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Am I the only one who thinks the back lights look incredibly gumby?
    No.. I'd rather a Mazda 2...

More pics released

Ford Fiesta Zetec S #2

Thread Information